Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would consult with a lawyer. If the Husband has not finished paying for the dresses he does not own them, and the Wife certainly does not.

Hmm. Ask a lawyer about a mechanic's lien to force final payment. But if nothing else, that subpoena can be quashed.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I was going to say, the ownership status of something that's not completed and also not fully paid for seems to be a legal nightmare, see if someone ELSE will take on that headache so you don't have to.
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Besides her bitchiness, which I think you should be compensated extra for, is the amount you've already been paid enough to cover the work that has already been done? Given that the new dress is only 70% paid for, I wouldn't do any more than 70% of the work. I don't think you'll ever get the rest of it, and wouldn't trust her to pay if she insists that she's going to cover it.

Comment

If you received a subpoena for the dresses, then they are evidence. If they are evidence, do not make any changes to them, including additional work.

Comment

Quoth FerrousBueller View Post
            Right now though, nothing would make me happier than to turn out all the lights, board up the windows and curl up around a copy of Val Kilmer's "Real Genius" and a bag of Riesens.
            I love that movie.

I hope you don't have to do anything more on the dress. She doesn't deserve it.

Also, I wish people wouldn't over-share. If they're going to use what I'm selling them for sex stuff, just don't tell me. I used to think I came off like I was a prude, but I guess not because people keep telling me more than I want to know. I actually wish they thought I was prudish, then maybe they would keep it to themselves.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Argus is right, it seems. Spoke to a lawyer and she said to just document everything (kind of thankful I made the post here, gave a time stamp) and halt work. I don't have to GIVE UP the dress, just she has asked for it in a legal fashion. It's confusing and left my head hurting.

Dress is pretty much done, just cleaning up stuff like trimming loose threads and a bit of seam trimming.

This... sucks. Literally so angry I feel feverish.

Moreover, so tempted to call "The Husband" and see if he needs a beer and a shoulder, but afraid it'll just put us deeper in the legal quagmire.

Comment

I don't have to GIVE UP the dress, just she has asked for it in a legal fashion.
                Similarly, when a subpoena is issued to a person rather than a piece of evidence, that person has to show up in court as a witness, but they get to return to their own home afterwards.

Dress is pretty much done, just cleaning up stuff like trimming loose threads and a bit of seam trimming.
                Make sure the documentation included the date on which you expected to deliver the finished dress. If/when the dress is submitted as evidence, you will probably need to clarify that final steps such as that trimming would have been done between October 27 and [delivery date], but it was halted by the subpoena.

Comment

Dang, that really sucks. I have no words to convey.

I hate it when lawyers have to get involved. At least you have a contract in place (not sure if it is only a oral or a written one, though ex-husband will probably testify to what the contract was if verbal).

I hope you get paid, better never have to see her again.
                  I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

I somehow missed this thread when it first started. At best that woman is dangerously ignorant. I mean she is was married....did she not have a wedding dress? (Yes, I know she might've gotten married at the courthouse or some other scenario that didn't involve a wedding dress. But considering she and her ex-husband were well enough off to be able to afford TWO $5000 custom dresses, I doubt they had an austere wedding) Does she not remember how many times you need to get one of those fitted and altered to be just right? This gown you were making sounds as complex as a wedding gown. Why did she think this would be any different?

(Hell, I'm nervous about one of the bridesmaids at my wedding, because she needs to go get measured very soon to ensure the dress will be ready in time, but she is going to be about 8 months pregnant come the wedding date. I don't know how that's going to work, as far as making the dress fit goes.)

Ugh...just ugh....what a fucking loon. Not that it makes your life easier but it's probably for the best that her husband is divorcing her.
                    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                      ... she is going to be about 8 months pregnant come the wedding date. I don't know how that's going to work, as far as making the dress fit goes.)
                      Gym Spandy(X) to the rescue!
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        Gym Spandy(X) to the rescue!
                        Wouldn't a tight, compressing fabric be a very bad idea for a pregnant woman?
                        "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                          (Hell, I'm nervous about one of the bridesmaids at my wedding, because she needs to go get measured very soon to ensure the dress will be ready in time, but she is going to be about 8 months pregnant come the wedding date. I don't know how that's going to work, as far as making the dress fit goes.)
                          What do the dresses look like? If they don't have to match perfectly, you might consider giving hers an empire waist.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Argus is right, it seems. Spoke to a lawyer and she said to just document everything (kind of thankful I made the post here, gave a time stamp) and halt work. I don't have to GIVE UP the dress, just she has asked for it in a legal fashion.
                            Good call on that. Next time you meet with the lawyer, do ask about payment.
                            Moreover, so tempted to call "The Husband" and see if he needs a beer and a shoulder, but afraid it'll just put us deeper in the legal quagmire.
                            DANGER!! WARNING!! Keep them both at arms lengthCome to think of it: Until the dust settles, direct all interactions with them to your lawyer. You wil be tap dancing in a legal minefield otherwise.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

They don't have to match perfectly. I don't want to derail the thread with a long story but 2 of the girls are wearing different dresses. I'll PM a pic

*Back to your regularly scheduled thread*
                              "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
                                If you received a subpoena for the dresses, then they are evidence. If they are evidence, do not make any changes to them, including additional work.
                                IANAL. I would think that since they are subpoenaing the dresses as evidence, then when they are no longer needed as evidence they should be returned to you. They are still your property until they have been paid for.
                                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                                X