X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 things restaurant servers should never do

http://consumerist.com/5395743/50-th...hould-never-do

Thoughts?
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Sounds like those are rules for places that are much nicer than anywhere I normally eat.

I can't say I really agree with most of them, especially 42. Do not compliment a guest's attire or hairdo or makeup. You are insulting someone else.
    Last edited by trailerparkmedic; 11-03-2009, 05:18 PM.

Comment

yeah...those are a little strange to me. i like knowing my server's name. i don't like using more than one glass. it's wasteful. must be for some super fancy place.
      ...weird.
      If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
      ^_^

Comment

"Don't pop a champagne cork"? "Don't run into tables and chairs"?

Those are the biggest WTF? ones, in my opinion. I've only seen champagne corks being popped, not taken off quietly. Can that be done?

As for the running into chairs, shit happens.

A big part of that list was just dumb. This person must be the customer that everyone pushes on the new wait staff.
        "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

This sounds like a really high-end place to me. For my husbands birthday one year, his dad took us to a really nice place. We had a food waiter and a drink waiter, they put your napkin in your lap for you and probably followed all of those listed rules.

To me, the whole experience was awkward. They even offered to cut up my steak for me! I guess I'm just not cut out for the really nice places!
          TANSTAAFL

Comment

And the waiterrant guy's response:

http://waiterrant.net/?p=1485

Seriously, "don't run into chairs"???? Like people do that on purpose...stupid.

Comment

It's the New York Times. The whole debate involves people who are probably richer than shit and used to being waited on hand and foot.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Wait...I don't understand the issue in the comments about being called "ma'am."

What am I supposed to call females, then? I always call female customers "ma'am."

I thought I was being respectful! I don't mind people calling me that, or calling me "miss." I KNOW that they are being respectful. Gaaah. Why is it so easy to offend people these days?

Comment

For red wine, ask if the guests want to pour their own or prefer the waiter to pour
                  Only red wine? What about white wine? Rose? I don't understand.

/and at first I accidentally started to type "whine"
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I personally like asking the waitpeople what theyre favorite dessert is. I usually follow their suggesstions and theyre almost always right on the money.

Stupid list.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                      Should have went with it. A very appropriate Freudian slip.
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth McGoddess09 View Post
                        "Don't pop a champagne cork"? [snip]
                        Those are the biggest WTF? ones, in my opinion. I've only seen champagne corks being popped, not taken off quietly. Can that be done?
                        I have had "real" champagne once in Paris and they opened it the same way they do when we have prosecco (Italian champagne) at dinner, they usually have a white cloth they hold over the cork and let it slide out very slowly. It still makes a small muffled pop sound.

I think he is saying don't pop the cork out with your thumbs so it goes flying into someones eye.

The writer is an absolute douche except for a couple of points. The water glass, stemware and champagne are about the only real tips he has.
                        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

32. Never touch a customer. No excuses. Do not do it. Do not brush them, move them, wipe them or dust them.
                          So, I guess performing the Heimlich maneuver on a choking guest is out, then?
                          33. Do not bang into chairs or tables when passing by.
                          Fine, we'll just hire Spiderman to walk across the ceiling to serve your food.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I was wondering when this list would show up on CS. The responses and opinions of my fellow CSers is pretty much right what I expected and I totally agree with you. Out of that whole list I only agree with a select few points. Although, quite frankly if you're taking my glass away, I don't care how you hold it.
                            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                              Only red wine? What about white wine? Rose? I don't understand.

I'm not a sommelier (or even a bartender), but I believe it's because many older red wines (remember, this is for really fancy places) throw sediment, so it would be a matter of whether they prefer to pour their own (and take responsibility for any sediment in the glass) or whether they prefer to trust the waiter's experience to keep sediment out of the glass.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X