X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passer-bys ignore dying man on sidewalk

This is so sad, but so true.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/articl...ing%2F19454372

I can see both sides of the story, but the one guy who shakes his shoulder and doesn't get a response; surely he saw the blood or that the victim wasn't breathing.

This guy needs to be buried a hero and given some sort of medal of valor.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Though it isn't a joke, it reminded me of Ghostbusters when Louis Tully is run down and possessed by a demon dog. Every one in the restaurant saw Tully, heard him screaming but as soon as he stopped, went back to their business. I remember listening to the commentary and they called it "a New York moment".

Sad.
    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

The radio this morning (when I may or may not have been continuing to lounge in bed, so I couldn't hear that well) was discussing the bystander effect, because apparently an older man got robbed on the subway last night. No one even hit the alarm.

I'm fairly sure I missed a chance when I ought to have helped someone. It was the shock of seeing the guy walking towards me, and by the time I realised that "wait, that probably actually is blood all over his shirt" he was gone.

Comment

To your credit, being in shock over seeing something is far different from seeing something and deciding that "surely someone else will handle it."

While the passersby are decidedly at fault for just ignoring his plight, why the hell didn't the woman he possibly saved not have the decency to at least call it in? Talk about no good deed going unpunished.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

back n the old days when i was a teenager, i was mugged and bashed - quite badly (fracture to the skull, broken hand, busted nose, cuts etc.

No one helped me - I dragged myself (almost literally) to the hopital about 2km away.

I am first aid trained now and know about the Good Samaritan laws... and i did not hesitate to help when i saw someone hit by a car.

Having said that, I can understand the bystander effect - and nowadays I don't bare any grudge against those that ignored me when I was badly hurt

Comment

This reminds me of the video I posted here not too long ago showing a bus crash in the city where I live. The crash was caused when the bus driver had some kind of seizure and passed out, and the bus went roaring down the street out of control. Part of the reason I posted it was because the video, taken by a security camera inside the bus, clearly shows two people fleeing past the driver and out the doors as soon as the bus crashes to a stop, totally ignoring him.

Another thing that made that wreck so awful was the fact that a pedestrian on the sidewalk was run over and lost a leg. The bus took out three storefronts, including a restaurant. Some of the restaurant patrons were interviewed by the local newspaper and were quoted as saying they deliberately tried not to look at the pedestrian as they were making their way out of the wreckage.

That bothers me.
            Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

May they thought he was a passed out drunk? Not trying to be mean at all, just wondering.)
              Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Working...
              X