This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Seanette View Post
    I would have qualms about admitting a stranger, especially if I were home alone (home invasion robberies do happen in my area). However, I'd be calling 911 ASAP.

Just ignoring the matter is not an option.
    That's what I was thinking. Perhaps these people were afraid that it was a robbery attempt of the let-me-in-so-I-can-steal-your-stuff variety. But Seanette is doubly right: A stranger asking to come in might be suspicious; a stranger asking for a 911 call is significantly less suspicious. I like to think that, if I doubted his story, I would have asked him for details and then closed the door to make the call.

These people were either horribly inconsiderate or overly paranoid.

Off Topic: bhskittykatt, I have used your signature in church lessons and work presentations several times now, and I'm starting to hear it repeated by others in both settings.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
      Quick question: do the guards wear any type of uniform that states they are security or work for the office building?
      They have a full uniform, with fancy patches and everything, when they are on-duty. They are very readily identifiable as an officer of some sort.

Even if he wasn't, they didn't have to let him in. Just had to call 911 to come out and check it out.

Quoth mhkohne View Post
      Is there someone in the house with diminished mental capacity or something? ...
      The house is full of about six or so college students. Clinically, I don't think they are all of "diminished mental capacity", though by a non-clinical definition....

Quoth Shalom View Post
      You know what. I can very easily come up with a scenario to explain this.

The people in the house had some kind of vendetta against the property across the street....
      Can't rule this out, as said house is a known party house and part of the reason for the hired security is to prevent said parties from spilling over onto the office property, which historically was a problem.

However in fairness I haven't seen them throw a major party there in about two years. I think it was just a case of not wanting to get involved in any sort of capacity, not even to dial 911.
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
        I would have qualms about admitting a stranger, especially if I were home alone (home invasion robberies do happen in my area). However, I'd be calling 911 ASAP.

Just ignoring the matter is not an option.
        I thought about that, but somebody in the midst of an insulin emergency probably isn't going to look like a threat to anyone.

What do I always say? Oh yeah: Humanity; I'm very disappointed in it.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
          Is there someone in the house with diminished mental capacity or something? I'm trying to think of a reason that someone would open the door and REFUSE to call 911 for someone. Other than someone with serious issues, I can't come up with a reason that doesn't involve being a absolutely horrible person.
          Still slightly better than that time where a man shot a teenage girl who banged on his door pleading for help just because she was black, though.

Heartless, but still slightly better. Emphasis on the word "slightly".
          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I think we need a new law. People should be able to be prosecuted for refusing to help. China drafted a law like that after something similar happened.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              I thought about that, but somebody in the midst of an insulin emergency probably isn't going to look like a threat to anyone.
              Unfortunately, there have been a few cases (locally) where people have faked emergencies, or claimed "car problems" in order to force their way into homes. Not very often, but enough that I'd be a bit wary if someone was pounding on my door at 3am. If that happened, I'd offer to make the call, but keep the door closed. Nothing personal, but I'm not about to chance facing the barrel of a 9mm.
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                Unfortunately, there have been a few cases (locally) where people have faked emergencies, or claimed "car problems" in order to force their way into homes. Not very often, but enough that I'd be a bit wary if someone was pounding on my door at 3am. If that happened, I'd offer to make the call, but keep the door closed. Nothing personal, but I'm not about to chance facing the barrel of a 9mm.
                This is my position. Yes, I'll call 911, but from the other side of a locked door.
                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

This is horrible. I would have a hard time not calling the local news and reporting a group of self-centered collage students that let a man die.

Comment

I'd do that too, how the fuck can you live with yourself knowing that someone is DEAD because of you?!
                    ......../\
                    ....../__\
                    ..../\...../\
                    ../__\../__\

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
                      I think we need a new law. People should be able to be prosecuted for refusing to help. China drafted a law like that after something similar happened.
                      In Germany there is such a law. To quote Wikipedia :

In Germany, "Unterlassene Hilfeleistung" (failure to provide assistance) is an offense according to section 323c[33] of the Strafgesetzbuch; a citizen is obliged to provide help in case of accident or general danger if necessary, and is normally immune from prosecution if assistance given in good faith and following the average reasonable person's understanding of required measures turns out to be harmful. Also the helper may not be held responsible if the action he should take in order to help is unacceptable for him and he is unable to act (for example when unable to act at the sight of blood). In Germany, knowledge of basic emergency measures and First Aid and CPR Certification is a prerequisite for the granting of a driving license.
                      Not to open the door is reasonable, but not calling 911 from behind the closed door is not and will get you in trouble.
                      No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Oh, I totally understand making the call from behind a closed door, but to open the door, shut it again in his face and go back to bed?

That's cold.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                        X