This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay Attention To What You're Ordering

I work in a deli/bakery. It's all one spot, but I'm actually a deli clerk. However, at night I take orders after all the bakery people have gone home. A few weeks ago, a man and woman come up to the counter and tell me they want to order a cake. Great! Which one do you want? They want a Star Wars cake for their son's birthday in two weeks. As per standard practice, I check to make sure we have the kit (i.e. little figures that go on the cake). Alas, we do not. I inform SC. He says, "Well, he really likes this one character - isn't there any way to put him on the cake?" Since I've already told him we don't have the kit, I suggest he bring in a picture of the character and we could do an edible image. "Don't you have one already?" Uhh, no... We don't actually keep images of every single movie character ever on the 20-year-old computer in the bakery. Needless to say, it's too much work for him to find an image of the character and then have to bring it back. So he asks me if we can do the cake without the figures and he'll just buy a couple of action figures to put on it himself. Yes sir, that'll be fine. I took his order and submitted it, thanks and have a nice night.

Two weeks pass. I am again working at night when I receive a phone call. It's SC, wanting to know if his cake will be ready in the morning at 9:00. I check and tell him that yes, it will be ready. He asks me if a manager will be there when he comes to pick it up, because it turns out we don't have the kit he wanted and he doesn't think it's fair that he has to buy action figures to put on the cake because "the lady who took my order screwed up". Um, what? I tell him, very politely, that I was the one who took his order, and that I told him we did not have the kit at that time. "Well, you should have ordered one." I tell him, again very politely, that the cake decorator is responsible for ordering kits and that he wanted the cake without the kit. "Well, I still want to speak to your manager because it isn't fair that I have to buy these figures. We just got our kid back from Child Protection and this is our first birthday party with him." I guess that was supposed to make me feel sorry for him? Anyway, I gave him the manager's name and told him she would be there in the morning. He could speak to her then.

I came in the next day, and asked if SC had come to get his cake. The cake decorator bursts into hysterical gales of laughter as she tells me the story. First of all, the cake wasn't due to be ready until 9 - he showed up at 7:30. The only person there was the baker, who told him three different times that no one would even be in to help him until at least 8. Finally my dept. manager showed up, and he told her the whole sordid tale. She apologized and told him that he had been informed when he ordered the cake that we didn't have that kit. He wanted the cake anyway. He was not entitled to a discount because he bought action figures for it. He gave her the whole story of how they just got the kid back from Child Protection and it's his first party. He spent over $300 on the party. My manager said, "That's why I don't give my kids birthday parties." He still isn't getting a refund. So he found a store manager, who knew nothing of the whole situation and agreed to discount SC whatever he spent on action figures for the cake. SC left, and came back 20 minutes later with a receipt. He had, of course, bought the most expensive action figures he could find - so not only did he get the cake for free, my department ended up owing him a refund!
    "Hell is other people." - Jean-Paul Sartre

Wow, what a complete douche. Buy a toy action figure, put it on the cake, and automatically it becomes your responsibility to pay for it? Maybe I should come to your store and ask for a cake with a Ferrari on top, and if you say you don't have it, I'll just buy a real one, put it on the cake, and ask you to cover it because not only did I have to buy my own Ferrari, but it ruined the cake after I placed it on top.

Welcome to CS, btw!
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Would be interesting to know the store manager's reaction when he/she heard the actual story ...

Comment

I was expecting it to also turn out that he needed a Star Trek cake.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Wow are you in Newfoundland? The bakery/deli thing you describe sounds just like the place I used to work at, lol.

Comment

I would turn around and turn your manager into LP. Sounds something that needs to be nipped in the butt.

Comment

Quoth kahichz88 View Post
              Since I've already told him we don't have the kit, I suggest he bring in a picture of the character and we could do an edible image.
              As an ex-grocery store cake decorator, this is a bad, bad, bad, BAD idea. The reason is it violates copyright. You and the store could end up owing a heck of a lot of money if you make edible images of copyrighted material. Our chain of stores' policy was that the image must be open-source or a copyright owned by the customer (i.e. they took the photo themselves) or we had to have written permission from the copyright holder to use the image.
              Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

While that mgr giving him a small discount, lke 10-20%, would have been reasonable. Actualy giving him MORE momey then what he spent on the cake is just idiotic. Someone higher up the food chain really should know about this >_>
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Something tells me that his "it's not my fault" attitude is related to the reasons his kid was in the custody of Child Protection for a while.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    Something tells me that his "it's not my fault" attitude is related to the reasons his kid was in the custody of Child Protection for a while.
                    Good call. I'd like to hear the background story too, but we probably never will. I just hope he doesn't patronize the OP's shop again or spread the word to his fellow leeches.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                      Good call. I'd like to hear the background story too, but we probably never will. I just hope he doesn't patronize the OP's shop again or spread the word to his fellow leeches.
                      Sadly I think it's far more likely that there's a mirror-version of CS called "Look what I got for free by whining!"

In other words, the word is probably already out there.
                      "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Your manager needs to be posted on 'Morons in Management!' This can't be the first stupid thing he's done, is it?
                        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

A thought occurred to me, after reading in the last sentence of the OP, that he ended up with a free cake and money back.

I wonder if he came in/called at an earlier time, talked with another employee and found out the store was out of the Star Wars figures.

Then he hatches up this plot to come back later, order the cake, and then let his plan progress as it did. He was probably planning on getting those action figures in the first place.

Yeah, maybe a far-fetched thought.

Yeah, maybe I'm cynical.

Mike
                          Meow.........

Comment

If he's dumb enough to come back next year, you can double-charge him to recoup this loss.

Comment

The customer is an idiot and so is the store manager. Customer could have ASKED if the kit could be ordered at the time he ordered the cake. That way the decorator would have had time to get the kit.. but that means he wouldn't have gotten it for free and then some. I mean, what is another $30 (for the larger size with kit) compared to the $300 he claims he'd already spent on this "first" party?

My son loves Halo.. of course the bakery isn't going to have a Halo kit. So what did I do? (And will probably do this next year.) Order one that fit the theme and told them no kit. Then I bought the mega block Halo stuff, put them together and arranged the "war" on the cake. Boom! Cake and a present at the same time! He was overjoyed and his friends' parents commented on how creative it was. (Though I think this next year will be World of Warcraft... thank you Mega Blocks!)
                              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
                              X