Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will not voluntarily wear silk against my skin. It grips your skin alright - it's *sticky*, and clammy, and it makes me sweat. Gimme cotton or rayon when it comes to socks, preferably.

Never really understood the concept of 'silky smooth', because silk is anything but soft and slippery as far as I'm concerned.
    What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

indeed. silk can actually be too warm. and slippery.

when i was in china one of the gifts i got for dad was silk shorts. mom said he wore them on a hot day thinking they'd be cool. oops!

and i bought myself silk sheets... i had to use cotton pillow cases because I got tired of my pillow sliding around all night long.

Comment

From what I know about cold weather layering (Learned from a year and half of over the phone orders for a 'Outdoor outfitter' and having learn about it just to field calls on it) you want something tight that will trap the most heat against your skin as a base layer and wick the moister away. Apparently silk does this well. It is very slippery though so silk base layer socks are kinda...well dumb. But some people swear by silk being the best base layer. From what I know the materials Under Armour uses is better because it as silks heat trapping and moister wicking abilities but none of that slipper nonsense.

Comment

Quoth Juggler View Post
          I'm in the same boat. Could someone please explain undersocks?
          You wear them under your regular socks when hiking, skiing, etc. They wick away moisture and keep you nice and cozy warm.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
            If you wear a thin pair of socks under a thick pair it helps to prevent blisters as the outer sock rubs against the liner, rather than your skin. If you wear silk it grips your skin but allows the fabric to slide.
            Full-length pantyhose does the same thing . . . they also keep your legs warm without the bulk.

As a bonus, they don't slide down like those thermal underwear bottoms so I can move about and not feel bunched up.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Juggler View Post
              As others have said, they wick away moisture and reduce friction, reducing blisters on hot spots. That's really important for people who are on their feet all day. I used to do this when backpacking all the time.

However, polypropylene socks do the same thing, are cheaper, and easier to clean. Plus, there are new socks that are a combination of wool (for warmth and insulation when wet) and other materials that accomplish the same purpose in a single sock, and can be worn year round. I love 'em. You can get them at REI; a bit pricey for socks but well worth it.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I just wear SmartWool. Dear Lord, those things are heavenly!
                My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Juggler View Post
                  I had never heard of them myself. But a quick bit of google fu, and I found a pair, with this description:

Soft, luxurious REI Silk One liners add a layer of warmth that protects your feet from blisters and chafing when worn under hiking socks.

Absorbs moisture to help keep feet dry

Made from a blend of spun silk, nylon and Lycra® spandex for durability and stretch

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                  X