Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I broke your equipment....but that's okay!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Noelegy View Post
    Not exactly breaking equipment, but we used to have people try to look into the laser scanners at Hastings, despite the signs warning not to do so because you would risk eye damage...and not just kids.
    Yea!! Another Hasting's slave! Yeah, we still get them doing that. Either that or they decided to sit all of their crap on top of said scanner....and then get mad when we move it!
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
      Yea!! Another Hasting's slave! Yeah, we still get them doing that. Either that or they decided to sit all of their crap on top of said scanner....and then get mad when we move it!
      I guess I can stop being coy over the name of my former employer...after all, it has been ten years since I worked there, and my name has changed as well. There were parts of that job I really liked, mainly working with books and waiting on (most) book customers, because overall it seemed the book department got a higher class of customer than the rest of the store did.

When you walked into our store, the book department was immediately on your right, the music department straight ahead, and the videos to the far left. Yet I can't tell you how many people I overheard walking in and saying, "I didn't know they sold books in here!"

And our store being a "large" in the Hastings store-size system, our book department was bigger than the chain stores in the mall (Waldenbooks, B.Dalton) and when I couldn't find something in stock for a customer, they'd say, "Oh, I'll check one of the BOOK stores in the mall."

Things I hated: restocking video. I once cracked up our assistant manager when they called a "20/20 to video" (all floor associates drop what you're doing and come help put up returned videos) because I had "a look" on my face, and when he asked me what was wrong, I told him (quietly) that I hated coming over to video because so many video customers just flat out stank.

Tell me Pagan...is "Happy Trails" just your favorite song in the whole world?
      Last edited by Noelegy; 05-02-2007, 10:06 PM.
      He loves the world...except for all the people.
      --Men at Work

Comment

Add me to the sick little Hastings club!

At least they paid better than Tower.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
          you know backwoods Wisconsin hillbillies......they love them dem der Nascar!!
          Hey, I like NASCAR! Go Matt Kenseth!

Anyhow, this wasn't done by customers or really intentional, but I'm still pissed off that the guys remodeling our store a couple years ago broke one of our hand trucks we used for carryouts. The one we got to replace it is a piece of shite. It only has two flimsy wheels and one tire is always flat, so it doesn't roll.

We have told LP about this several times and she has promised to get us a new hand truck, but it hasn't happened yet. Those cost money.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

IPF: Those Nascar candies and toys also brought out several arguments between customers over who is better between Ernhardt Jr and Jeff Gordon, etc etc etc......just funny to watch customers argue over the dumbest things lol!

Just remembered at the grocery store one time two unattended children were chasing each other all over the store up and down the aisles and by the time their rampage was said and done, there were ketchup bottles on the floor (no spills there, so ok then), broken mayonnaise jars (rrrr!!!) and rice and cereal bags torn open...........what a mess!

What did my stupid manager do? Nothing. Didn't make the parent customer pay a cent.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Thankfully our store sells handtrucks so if any of them get seriously damaged we just, er, "store use" another one. <.< >.>

Aside from broken merchandise now and then (I hate broken jars of garlic), I think they only problem I can remember is getting the check printer jammed because part of the check was torn and got caught inside.
              "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Noelegy, I start twitching whenever I hear that song. But, mysteriously, our CD has gone missing! Not that we ever really used it anyway. Seems to be more effective to just turn off the music completely. I wouldn't mind it so much if we could use the Van Halen version. We have a lot of fun, though. The closing GSM making the closing announcement tonight said, "Get out of my store"!

I can go ya one better on the size - I work in the biggest store in the chain. However, it's not in a great part of town. Since I've been there (4 yrs) there's been at least two shootings at the Taco Cabana in the parking lot and some 17 yr old ran into their sign a couple of weeks back....at 2am. What the hell a 17 yr old is doing out that late, I don't know.
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

My mom & aunt used to do a lot of crafts fairs, back in the day when you could sell home made candy without the health department getting all wound up.

Anyway, one fair my aunt had out a row of plates of divinity. For those that don't know, divinity is pretty much pure sugar, and if it's even remotely humid, it will never set. But this particular year the weather had been perfect and she had a beautiful batch.

So, some unattended kidlet comes walking by and proceed to poke his finger through the plastic wrap and into the divinity of every plate. My aunt growled at him and told him if he kept it up she'd break his fingers. It was like his mother materialized out of thin air. The woman complained to the organizers, but it was dropped when they learned that her kid had ruined a bunch of merchandise and she refused to pay for it.

I know that there are some punks on the bus I take to work who will purposefully jam the coin box so they don't have to pay full fares.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                    Noelegy, I start twitching whenever I hear that song. But, mysteriously, our CD has gone missing! Not that we ever really used it anyway. Seems to be more effective to just turn off the music completely. I wouldn't mind it so much if we could use the Van Halen version. We have a lot of fun, though. The closing GSM making the closing announcement tonight said, "Get out of my store"!

I can go ya one better on the size - I work in the biggest store in the chain. However, it's not in a great part of town. Since I've been there (4 yrs) there's been at least two shootings at the Taco Cabana in the parking lot and some 17 yr old ran into their sign a couple of weeks back....at 2am. What the hell a 17 yr old is doing out that late, I don't know.

I didn't know we had shootings in the TC parking lot... that's crazy.
                    He needed to say " Get out of my store!" again tonight! We had "guests" hiding in video..... not fun.
                    Thankfully no heelie incidents to report tonight.
                    We had a good time tonight -- you should've been there!

Comment

Quoth Ergin View Post
                      The cashier firmly told the lady not to do that because it could break the machine. The lady just laughed and said flippantly, "That's okay!"
                      "Um, no, it is NOT okay." Where did this moron get the idea that deliberately breaking someone else's equipment was "okay"?!

Hey, lady, I've got something for you:
                      "Ow, stop that, that hurts!"
                      "Oh, THAT'S OKAY!"
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Not exactly breaking equipment, but we used to have people try to look into the laser scanners at Hastings, despite the signs warning not to do so because you would risk eye damage...and not just kids.
                        SC's do it BECAUSE of the signs saying NOT to do it.

Comment

Working...
                        X