This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No thanks, I treat women like people.

SC who I knew at school (he sucked then, still sucks now) comes in with his Phillipino mail-order bride. (her ethnicity and the other bit are important)

He recognized me and started talking to me like he didn't used to give me wedgies, then started going on about how he "got this great piece of a$$ over the internet". Seeing my expression of disgust he said "don't worry, she doesn't speak much english". Then he said "If you want one of your own, she's got an 18 year old cousin."

Treating women like a product or something, I was appalled! He noticed my absolute disgust and left very quickly.

I hate people who are like that.
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
      I hate people who are like that.
      Sometimes you wish it wasn't illegal to get violent.
      MMO Addicts group

Comment

Ah, you have to love inadequate people who find the opposit sex terrifying.

That's all any 'ism' is, after all. A scared, small, ape trying to hide their fear of something different.
        Once you start pitying them it's much easier.

But that poor woman. I bet her life isn't much fun.
        Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post

But that poor woman. I bet her life isn't much fun.
          Actually, you'd be surprised...

I'm not saying what the guy did was right, he's a total sleaze-ball. HOWEVER.

The way mail-order brides work is that the women willingly sign up for it. It's a way for them to get into the country and try to become a legal citizen.

Yeah, he's a jackass, but she DID sign-up for it, she knew what she was getting into =\

It sucks, but it's kinda a "you made your bed, now sleep in it" type of thing.
          <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
            It sucks, but it's kinda a "you made your bed, now sleep in it" type of thing.
            I bet she's perfectly happy to only sleep in it....

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
              The way mail-order brides work is that the women willingly sign up for it. It's a way for them to get into the country and try to become a legal citizen. Yeah, he's a jackass, but she DID sign-up for it, she knew what she was getting into =\
              My wife of eight years is a Filipina (she's a mere 4 years younger than me). In no way did she sign up just to be a US citizen. This is the case of many of the Filipinas who get married this way.

It's relatively normal in Philippine society to go abroad. 10% of their population works overseas as nurses, housekeepers, deck hands, etc.

Both the wives and the OFWs (overseas Filipino workers) send money home to help their families.

----------

OK, defensive mode over ... living here in the Philippines (I'm a retired software guy, 41 years old), I see a lot of kanos (Americans) who are quite old with very, very young brides. Embarrassing, really.

Guys, if you want a young woman, pick a lady who is in her late 30's or something ... she's STILL 30 years younger than you.
              "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

With any luck, the woman will divorce him once she gets citizenship.

And, edible hat, a big THANK YOU for NOT being the kind of jackass that guy is.

Isn't it sad when this behavior is so common that we thank and commend people for being human beings?

Comment

The way mail-order brides work is that the women willingly sign up for it. It's a way for them to get into the country and try to become a legal citizen.
                  There's debate on that.

Yes, it is a way for women to become citizens, but... there's two factors...

1) It's often just a thin cover for prostitution, it's just made "prettier" by the marriage licence. Essentially you still pay the company (or whomever) a fee.

2) Not all of the women are essentially willing. Since my company has dealings in foreign countries, we have to take training in "human trafficking". One of the key factors they point out is... there ARE cases where women are lured into a job promise, or 'freedom' to the states... only to find that when they get there, they keep building up "debts" to the company that they must work off. Usually by prostitution, with the company keeping most of the money.

If I remember, companies offering a 'wide selection of races' are usually examples of that kind of thing.

WARNING. The links below are work safe as far as i know, but ... there is mention of just who gets abused in Human Trafficking, and what ages they are & what's done to them.
                  ... so some of what you read will make you wanna barf.

http://www.humantrafficking.org/government_law/45/
                  "AN ACT TO DECLARE UNLAWFUL THE PRACTICE OF MATCHING FILIPINO WOMEN FOR MARRIAGE TO FOREIGN NATIONALS ON A MAIL-ORDER BASIS AND OTHER SIMILAR PRACTICES, INCLUDING THE ADVERTISEMENT, PUBLICATION, PRINTING OR DISTRIBUTION OF BROCHURES, FLIERS AND OTHER PROPAGANDA MATERIALS IN FURTHERANCE THEREOF AND PROVIDING PENALTY THEREFOR"
                  Basically since 13 July 1990, it's been illegal cos they can't gurantee the woman isn't going to be purchased by abusive jerks.

(heck just look up "mail-order" on the www.HumanTrafficking.org website and you get a ton on links about it)

(yes "Filipino" is the spelling used by most Filipinos)
                  Last edited by PepperElf; 02-05-2008, 02:40 PM.

Comment

What a Grade-A jerk. I give you a thumbs-up for not listening to that kind of abusive, chauvinistic cr*p.

Comment

whatever the circumstances, the girl still has my sympathy; i hope her 'poor english' improves and she finds her way free of this ass.

some of those 'willing women' just want a better life, but end up trading one hell for another.

it does sicken me to see some wretched old creep married to a young girl (usually a baby in tow ) when she should be enjoying her young life, rather than be shackled to some cretin who's busy slapping himself on the back at his 'luck.'

just eww...
                      look! it's ghengis khan!
                      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I feel for the poor woman also...and secretly hope this jerk announces his apalling values in front of a not so civil croud. Karma's a b**ch and all that.
                        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

So, the only way he could get any was to go several thousand miles away, find a woman who couldn't speak the same language, was probably desperate to do this to help herself and her family, and he had to pay someone to set it up. Yeah, something to be proud of.
                          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                          HR believes the first person in the door
                          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                          Document everything
                          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Trust me, if his wife is like any of the Filipinas I know, he's paying dearly for those comments. Filipinas are not submissive little flowers. When embarrassed like that, they won't make a scene in public because that would embarrass themselves further. They'll rip their wonderful husband new holes in private. Odds are, if he's like that a lot, he's not getting any.

Oh, and Filipinos in general are taught English in school along with Tagalog (national Philippine language). It is highly likely that she is embarrassed to speak English because she feels hers is not very good. She probably understands the guy just fine.

And folks, please try not to put down others who went through this process and found a good mate while putting down the OP's disgusting schoolmate. While you're at it, don't be so quick to judge the girls. Life here can be extremely hard. Average per capita income is US$1 per day. Like the OP said, these girls are people, too.
                            "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Edible Hat, that SC is a 100% pure chauvanistic asshole. My sympathies to the poor girl who is with him.
                              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
                              X