This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The wireless SCs part 1

I thought I would share the joys of years of working in the wireless industry with you folks.
    After five or so years of working in this industry, I have learned that the SCs in this industry demonstrate a very different type of insanity than the normal retail SCs.

This will be a list of types of customers rather than specific event-- after all, you do this long enough and you can even begin to predict, nearly to the letter, what direction the conversation will take.

Im posting this as though I were speaking to the customer because I cant actually say these things IRL and it is fun to pretend.

So where to begin? I think pet-peeves will probably do. Anyone who has worked in the wireless industry will immediately be able to relate to how annoying and baffling this first type of customer is.

1.) People who come to the store to pay their bill.

This type of customer has at least three sub-categories. Now, on its face, this is extremely irritating due to the fact that we are commisioned employees. Whats more is that the customers tend to know we are commisioned employees. What that means is that, especially when the store is busy, you are literally a waste of time and also costing us money we could be earning on a lucrative customer. This annoyance however, is typically veiled because from a pragmatic and company standpoint, we cant really justify the deep, boiling rage inside. Technically, you arent doing anything wrong. We also try not remind ourselves of how there are a bazillion alternative ways you could pay without wasting everyone's, including your own, time. If you have ever been told "you know you could pay this online without having to come to the store? Im sure you would love to save yourself the drive!" This is the reason. Enough rambling, on to the subcategories.

A) Customers paying their mobile bill with cash.
    Well, I cant really be angry with you here, this is literally your only option. This one tends to quell my annoyance quite a bit when I notice this is the case. Get a prepaid card dude.

B)Customers paying their mobile bill with cash, but avoiding the payment kiosk.
    Now this is just absurd. Did you really just wait in line for 45 minutes, huffing and puffing, flapping your arms like a seal all while making muffled "this is ridiculous" noises when there is a clearly labeled bill payment kiosk right next to you? Extra points if you managed to get a rep's attention and say "I just need to pay my bill," from way in the back of the line because we are actually beaming with joy on the inside, feeling incredibly relieved that, no, you will wait your turn. We also manipulate the length of time we take with our sales in order that you will get sick of it and, heres an idea, use the payment kiosk, or some other unlucky rep will have to process the payment. Usually the inexperienced reps get stuck with this, as they havent yet learned this tactic.

C.) Bill pay customers who pay with a card and avoid the bill pay kiosk
    Why would you do this? I find it difficult to believe that otherwise rational and sane people would wake up in the morning thinking "gosh, I really want to waste some time and I need to pay my phone bill...how can I do this? I have my computer and my smartphone which could process the payment in less than 30 seconds, but would that be the BEST way to waste some time?" "No, Ill take my 10 or so minutes to get ready, drive the 10-15 minutes to the nearest store, wait in line 5-45 minutes and then ill drive back, oh and ill avoid the kiosk, because who really needs to use machines specifically and exclusively designed for what I need to do, the rep is a better option". To this customer, I actually do hate you so much. It is very difficult not to reach over the counter and strangle you for your complete disregard for my time AND YOURS.

I want to clarify that this is limited to people exclusively coming to the store to pay their bills. If you needed to get something from me and needed to pay your bill, im totally ok with that- or if you needed to ask questions about your bill, although that is a task better suited for customer service.

I also realize that the carriers are partly to blame for this sort of behavior. This is just unintelligible in most other industries. You wouldnt dream of paying your monthly car payment to the rep that sold you your car. So yes, the customer is not totally responsible.

Special bonus customer

D) Bill pay customer who actually uses the kiosk.
    I love you so much, you make me smile everytime I see it happen. You are the best.

Thats long enough for the first post. The next will be on the total inversion of the customer and sales rep relationship that one is accustomed to in other contexts.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 03-12-2014, 06:52 PM. Reason: Broken formatting tag

Only thing I can think of is that maybe these people are trying to avoid the "convenience fees" some places have for paying online/over the phone. (not trying to excuse any SC behavior, just I know this from experience with helping one of my daughter's friends)

Comment

For C... I don't use the kiosk because every time I do I have to pay the 911 fee. When I sometimes have to load money onto Mom's phone multiple times in a month I do NOT want to pay that fee every time.

This is the same when accessing the pay option on the phone. Online refuses to let us on even after multiple attempts to let us on.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
        For C... I don't use the kiosk because every time I do I have to pay the 911 fee. When I sometimes have to load money onto Mom's phone multiple times in a month I do NOT want to pay that fee every time.

This is the same when accessing the pay option on the phone. Online refuses to let us on even after multiple attempts to let us on.
        Could depend on the carrier. All the ones I have worked for encourage auto pay by actually charging you less or charge you nothing at all at the kiosk or automated phone payments, or online payments for that matter. You may also have a SOC code preventing online payments, you might want to check on that

Comment

There's a kiosk right there and they walk right past it? Oh well, why not...nobody reads signs, so they probably didn't even see it.

I will say that I don't pay most bills online. I don't have a credit card (or a smartphone) and I'm not using my debit card online. If a company has a pay-by-phone option I'll use that (it's usually through Western Union). But if a place typically had a 45 minute wait, I'd find another way to pay.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            There's a kiosk right there and they walk right past it? Oh well, why not...nobody reads signs, so they probably didn't even see it.

I will say that I don't pay most bills online. I don't have a credit card (or a smartphone) and I'm not using my debit card online. If a company has a pay-by-phone option I'll use that (it's usually through Western Union). But if a place typically had a 45 minute wait, I'd find another way to pay.
            The kiosks are anywhere from 6k to 10k machines, they are enormous, and we also yell out, when especially busy, FOR ANY BILL PAYMENTS, FEEL FREE TO USE THE PAYMENT KIOSK OVER THERE (POINTS) SO YOU DONT HAVE TO WAIT!!!

Comment

I've been paying my bills from the comfort of my own home for years. I LOVE online banking, makes it soooo easy. I don't even get my cable/phone/net/cell bill in the mail, into the good old email box it goes. There's sooo much paper in that bill I was grateful for getting it in my email. Only time I go into the store is for hardware upgrades/fixes.

Comment

Quoth PastryGal View Post
                I've been paying my bills from the comfort of my own home for years. I LOVE online banking, makes it soooo easy. I don't even get my cable/phone/net/cell bill in the mail, into the good old email box it goes. There's sooo much paper in that bill I was grateful for getting it in my email. Only time I go into the store is for hardware upgrades/fixes.
                thanks you so much for that!

Comment

Quoth icantbelievethesepeople View Post
                  This type of customer has at least three sub-categories. Now, on its face, this is extremely irritating due to the fact that we are commisioned employees. Whats more is that the customers tend to know we are commisioned employees.
                  I wouldn't count on that.

* People who aren't involved in retail rarely think about whether an employee is commissioned, wage or salary. It just doesn't occur to them. And there are a LOT of people not in retail.

* Many people who do realise you're commissioned probably assume that since part of your job is not direct sales work, you get a wage to cover that part.

* Many people who know that some sales jobs are commissioned might not realise that your particular job is commissioned.

And finally

* Many people are just that clueless.

Check out the other stories here. ALL of us encounter the 'just that clueless' category, incredibly often.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I've never heard of paying the bill in-store. I can't pay online, and still I would pick calling the automated system over going to the store (if that were an option here).
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I've paid my bill in store a few times in the past. Of course, this particular branch of my cell carrier doesn't have a kiosk in the store, so I would've had to speak to a clerk. It never occurred to me that I was creating such a great retail sin. Where do I go to repent? For the record, 99.9% of the time I do pay online. Only time I pay in person is if that bill needs paid like yesterday and I happen to be in the town the store is in.
                      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I always make sure to offer each and every one of these customers ALL of the amazing new deals we have, and comment on how they SURELY can't feel safe without a case on that fine, $600 piece of advanced technology, and they SURELY don't want to get stuck somewhere without a car charger, and so on.

Sadly, this deters few.
                        "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
                        -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

For some people, this might be the only human interaction they have that doesn't involve a slap to the face!

Me, I prefer online bill pay, phone bill pay and payment kiosk, in that order. In fact, if the system was down for the first two, I'd wait for the next day before having to leave the house use the third! (I'm incredibly lazy!)
                          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                            (I'm incredibly lazy!)
                            *WE* call that "energy efficient", TYVM!
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Actually, for many months my wife went in to our local "big red check" store to pay her month-to-month. Why? None of the above reasons. She was actually told that was the only way she could pay. By one of the reps there.

Finally, I questioned it, and the cashier (who I'm fairly sure was hourly, not commissioned) said we COULD use the web. Too late, though - the next month we went with T-<pink> (For the same cost, instead of one phone with 700 minutes and no data, we have two smartphones with unlimited everything.)
                              I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Working...
                              X