Go Back   Customers Suck! > Site News > Site News

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 05:46 AM
The Christmas Tree Ninja!

Hmm...I've just thought of something, which the nurses and other healthcare professionals here might be to answer.

This person has mentioned that they lost one of the babies mid-pregnancy. They have mentioned several times that when twin A is born, twin B will be delivered (stillborn) as well. At the point mentioned, it was around 21 weeks. A bit of tracking forward would put them now at around 32 weeks.

Is it normal practice for doctors to keep a stillborn twin inside for almost 12 weeks?! (In all honesty, I'm surprised that the stillborn hasn't been delivered already)

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Old 06-30-2013, 06:18 AM
USPS Q&A Person...Sometimes

Fireheart this were going to be identical twins and so there is only one placenta. They can't do a delivery of just one of them.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:24 AM
Where's my handbasket?

Quote:
Quoth fireheart View Post
Hmm...I've just thought of something, which the nurses and other healthcare professionals here might be to answer.

This person has mentioned that they lost one of the babies mid-pregnancy. They have mentioned several times that when twin A is born, twin B will be delivered (stillborn) as well. At the point mentioned, it was around 21 weeks. A bit of tracking forward would put them now at around 32 weeks.

Is it normal practice for doctors to keep a stillborn twin inside for almost 12 weeks?! (In all honesty, I'm surprised that the stillborn hasn't been delivered already)
I in no way mean to sound snarky, but how do you think they would deliver it? Anything done to do so would put the other baby at risk. In a c-section the uterus is cut open and then stitched back up, vaginal dilation to get it out means everything would probably come out, like all the amniotic fluid. Sometimes the body will expel the dead fetus (a friend had this happen at 18 weeks, freaked her out because of the bleeding) but if not it stays. Doctors will try to deliver the live baby as soon as it is healthily possible.

Yes, I was trained to ask (tactfully/politely) during my medic training to ask if both were alive if a woman in labor said it was twins. I cannot imagine having to go through that, on either end.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:43 AM
Lunatic posing as normal!

fireheart, if you google TTTS, it will tell you about that situation, and explain what happens if one twin dies.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:44 AM
Pyjama-loving Cuddlebug

I think what fireheart is trying to ask is that with a high-risk pregnancy like this one, would the preference be for more monitoring with a view to having a caeserean as early as possible simply in order to give the other fetus a better chance at survival?

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:56 AM
Where's my handbasket?

Quote:
Quoth Mishi View Post
I think what fireheart is trying to ask is that with a high-risk pregnancy like this one, would the preference be for more monitoring with a view to having a caeserean as early as possible simply in order to give the other fetus a better chance at survival?
Yes, they will if you can have all the monitoring done (not all insurances will cover what needs to be done even in the US). They will balance the risks to everyone in deciding when to deliver and by what means. A caesarean is a hard thing to go through in it's own right (BTDT), if you have one too early you could lose both babies. It's a balancing act that I would not want to try to do.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:18 AM
USPS Q&A Person...Sometimes

If she is at 32 weeks they could technically deliver the baby as a premie. I was only in the womb for 22 weeks and am very much alive. Delt a slightly crappy hand with genetics but I'm mostly healthy.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:27 AM

None of us here are physicians, and none of us have access to her medical file, so making guesses as to how her particular situation would be handled is just that - guessing.

As I said, Google is a great source to find out a lot of info about this very rare syndrome.

Again, I want to state that I have never doubted the graveness of her situation or felt she was faking it.

My whole issue has been about the violation of the site rule regarding financial solicitation, and the nastiness that ensued simply because we asked to have it brought in line with our requests.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:57 AM

Look, a puppy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beagle-puppy.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	3844  

Old 06-30-2013, 07:57 AM

And a kitten