Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Wolfie it's my personal policy to not argue with or challenge 18 wheelers because they will always win. In fact, I give them space and right of way and don't ride in the blind spots. Easy math: Me small and them big = me smooshed. No thanks. I always look twice for bikes and hope they are smart enough to pay attention on their end too.

Comment

Quoth pudddykat View Post
      @Wolfie it's my personal policy to not argue with or challenge 18 wheelers because they will always win.
      "Greater mass equals right of way" is what one of our local traffic reporters would say when a small car would get smooshed after being in a competition with a big-rig for the right of way.
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        If someone can't see an 18 wheeler, they DEFINITELY won't see a motorcycle.
        A while back, I saw a description of a different vehicle that a driver "didn't see": 8 feet wide, 10 feet high, painted fire engine red, and I don't remember how its sound was described.

Comment

My mistake was the time I was at the Ron Jon Surf Shop in Cocoa Beach dressed in jeans and a Ron Jon t-shirt. I must have had five people ask me if I worked there. Since then, I always make sure I'm wearing anything that does not relate to that place.

Comment

Sounds about like going to Bullseye in a red shirt and tan pants.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
              Sounds about like going to Bullseye in a red shirt and tan pants.
              I used to work there and you'd be surprised at the number of people not working there who came in to shop in red and khaki.
              "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

I don't own a red polo but I do have a red shirt and khaki pants. I'm tempted just to come in and mess with people.
                "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                  "Greater mass equals right of way" is what one of our local traffic reporters would say when a small car would get smooshed after being in a competition with a big-rig for the right of way.
                  Old friend of mine used to call that "right of WEIGH."

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                    Old friend of mine used to call that "right of WEIGH."
                    A.K.A.: The Universal Law of Gross Tonnage. "I'm bigger, I win."
                    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
                      Yeah, eventually I'll have to pick up a thick pair of jeans. The ones I've got on are about a year old and still have a fair amount of material to them. I'm too old to go around without HiViz safety gear on, though from what I hear, there's still plenty of folks that will claim they don't see you. I'd like to think I've hit a maturity level that will keep me from being killed on this thing .
                      The second accident I had on a motorbike, I was wearing high viz. Didn't stop the guy from sending me flying, cuz the accident happened not cuz he couldn't see me, but cuz he was shit at overtaking. I slid down the road with the bike on me, and got away with just a broken hand and two cracked ribs. It was my jacket and trousers that got the scrapes.

Oh yeah, and I've gotten customers mistaking me for staff thing before. Once when I was wearing a pair of motorbike trousers and boots teamed with a Marilyn Manson t-shirt (I'd left my crash helmet, gloves and jacket at the garage where my bike was having its MOT sorted) and this woman customer still thought I was staff at the shop I went to in order to buy magazines and smokes. Maybe we retail drones just give off an aura of retailness or something.
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                      X