Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Does this hurt" - ApolloSZ style, now with kicking action!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Does this hurt" - ApolloSZ style, now with kicking action!!

Firecats post reminded me of a Doc's visit where I got the "Does this hurt" question.

I had managed to get ingrown nails on both sides of my big toes. Finally I relented and went to a doc to get them cut out and that stuff whatchyamacallit that stops them growing back put on.

I got to lay down on the bed, the doc injected each side of the toes in question with local anthessissi.... aniseed... antithesis... feel good stuff . Went away to let it work its magic and came back.

Snip snip dab dab.

Toe 1 is done. He shuffles over to the second one and...

Sni... WHOOOOOSH!

My foot goes flying up just pass his head as I feel, and I mean FEEL the pain. To ease your wince factor slightly, I kicked with the free foot, i.e. the one WITHOUT The sharp objects currently in close proximity. I'm nothing if not observant, in such situations.

In retrospect I blame my "Freaky immune-system (tm)", as I have no idea how I did it. The anneett..... y'know what I mean, had worn off enough It wasn't really working anymore. The Doc looked at me with a "that was close" grin and asks "Did that hurt?"

There's always a comedian.

He re-did the numb-ing magic, finished it off, and all was well in the land of Toes.

So to recap - Poke under nail with sharp object = attempt to kick doctor in head. My Ninja training is progressing.
    "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
    Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

That remind me.
    When I had my portacath removed the surgery were really busy. The surgeon didn't wait long enough to let the anaesthetic work. I didn't mind too much because I were privileged to see the best scolding, without profanity or raising the voice, I have ever seen.
    When the surgeon cut down I couldn't keep a gasp back and the nurse assisting turned to the doctor and said "I think that hurt the patient". Just that, but the tone of voice and the look combined made the doctor cringe back a step before apologizing and giving me one more injection.
    I felt scorched just by the proximity .
    Thinking back I should have kicked him too.

Comment

Too awesome you two! Hilarious! I wish I had awesome stories like that... thankfully, my relatively minor surgeries (mole removal/biopsy, wisdom teeth out) went fairly routinely and were completely chill-- and when I say "OW," the dentists typically retract their doomtools and ask how bad it was.
      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

When they did ny heart cath in 2001 they gave me my prep shots and got me ready. An emergency case came in and I was returned to pre=op. WHen they rolled me back in the Doctor went to make the incision in my leg and the prep shots had worn off. I tried to get up off the table on him.

Comment

Yeowch.

A few years ago I went to the dentist with a broken tooth. He was going to clean it, and fill it (it was chipped, didn't need a crown thank god). He gives me a shot of novacaine, and starts to work.

Oh, the pain. The pain!

So he gives me another shot. And another. Finally, the stuff kicks in and he is able to finish.

I get in the car to drive home and realize I am drooling. I look in the mirror and realize the entire right side of my face is drooping as if I'd had a stroke.

He'd over done the facial nerve.

I had to go back because he didn't fill the tooth right. First dentist was gone (left the practice) and they had a temporary guy there. He was very nice. I told him about the problems the first dentist had had numbing me up, and the 2nd dentist told me the first guy hadn't waited long enough for the shot to work before trying to fix my tooth. He also told me I was lucky: over treating the nerve can result in permanent paralysis of that part of the face

He gave me one little shot, waiting about 10 minutes, then went to work. No pain. No fuss, no muss.

Lesson learned: never go to a commercial dental practice. Get an independent provider who's got longevity and get lots of references first. The dentist I have now is awesome.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I had a root canal one time on my front tooth that had gotten twisted in a fall. He gives me a local shot for the tooth and starts working. All if a sudden my jaw I's clamping shut and he's hastily trying to remove his fingers.

While the root he was removing was dead and had no feeling... The one he hit was very much alive. After a change of gloves, a new shot, and convincing me to reopen my mouth... We continued. He was even nice enough to remove the torn glove stuck between a couple of my teeth.

Comment

I was 5 years old and had bit down on something and cracked the crown on my premolar, and my grandmother took me to her dentist [I was spending the summer with her while Mom and Dad packed up the house in Germany to rotate back to the US.

Old fashioned dentist, she had been going to him for years. Did I mention he dealt with adults .. and was not into novacaine

So he plunked me down in the chair and started drilling.

I ended up with a gash in my tongue that you can still see on the underside.

He got 12 stitches in his thumb.

I got sent to a pediatric dentist for the repair, who had to actually sedate me with kiddy dose of valium before gas and novocaine to do the repair.

[I still do valium, and get both gas and novocaine before dental work involving drills.]
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Oh OUCH! Anything foot related is an atuo-wince from me.

I have plantar fasciitis pretty bad in both feet. Last summer I finally went to a podiatrist (when my GP was out of ideas) and he did cortisone injections. In my heels. I was not expecting them to hurt as much as they did.

It did, however, answer the question of why his assistant came in to hold my legs. I guess he had been kicked before.

Comment

Quoth Skeen View Post
                  I have plantar fasciitis pretty bad in both feet. Last summer I finally went to a podiatrist (when my GP was out of ideas) and he did cortisone injections. In my heels. I was not expecting them to hurt as much as they did.
                  Got plantar fasciitis myself (occupational hazard for pharmacists, just as hemorrhoids are for truck drivers and accountants: we stand too much, they sit too much). SAS shoes and Foot Leveler orthotics, and I'm walking without a cane again. Damn expensive shoes, and worth every cent ($168/pair last I checked, the orthotics were about $300 more or less. Second pair at half price, though).

My brother had a cortisone shot for his carpal tunnel syndrome (again, occupational hazard: he's a keyboard player). He said that it hurt worse than the CTS ever did. I told him they'd just used up a whole year's worth of pain at once, so it shouldn't hurt for the next year.

Quoth Panacea View Post
                  Get an independent provider who's got longevity
                  Here's my dentist. Note the date he got his license. How's that for longevity?

(Yes, he has the same first name as I do. Coincidence, nothing more.)

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                  [I still do valium, and get both gas and novocaine before dental work involving drills.]
                  Valium is nice. Valium enables me to get pricked with needles without committing assault & battery upon whoever's holding the needle.
                  Last edited by Shalom; 04-27-2011, 07:58 PM. Reason: added quote to bottom

Comment

speaking of plantar fasciitis I think I have that problem in my right foot currently and my heel on up to the arch hurts like a bitch when I walk. I don't stand too much so I don't know what happened...but i know I don't want to spend a bunch of money on shoes....will arch supports help? Something cheaper?
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

With my pain issues, my dentist can't numb me enough for the drilling not to hurt.

So we just - well, he numbs me as much as he can, I meditate as much as I can, and he and his assistant watch for cues from me on when to pause and let me get control back.

If I ever need a root canal or something, it's going to have to be done with some sort of general anaesthesia. (either twilight, or full.)
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                        Here's my dentist. Note the date he got his license. How's that for longevity?
                        Wow. I'm impressed

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                        speaking of plantar fasciitis I think I have that problem in my right foot currently and my heel on up to the arch hurts like a bitch when I walk. I don't stand too much so I don't know what happened...but i know I don't want to spend a bunch of money on shoes....will arch supports help? Something cheaper?
                        Some sort of insert may help. It's worth a try. If it doesn't help, invest in a high quality pair of shoes. I used to have plantar fasciatis . . . not good when I worked in the ER. I bought a good pair of hiking shoes (spent about $100). They were big, clunky, and ugly. But they were uber comfortable. Presto! No more plantar fasciitis.

Right now I have tendonitis of my left achilles heel. I'm getting orthotic inserts for that and will see if that helps, since physical therapy and an NSAID cream have done pretty much nothing for me
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I recently found out the excruciating pain in my feet was plantar fasciitis which decided it was a good idea to add a lot of pressure to both achilles tendons. I tried to cheat my way around it with different inner soles. Finally I gave up and went to the podiatrist - we figured out together what I needed (he was awesome, sent me to get new shoes before $900 orthotics!).
                          In the end it was $300 shoes which have hard plastic around the back of the heel, and arch support orthotics ($50 at sports stores). Turns out they weren't working before 'cos I was twisting my ankle and heel within the shoe, neutralising any arch support effects.
                          So if you can figure out why, it is possible to care for your feet. But if they're bad it takes a lot of commitment to fix them before you can go back to normal shoes.
                          P.S. I am Aussie, and things are expensive over here :P. I'm also a Barista, still. Good shoes!

Comment

Quoth Seshat
                            With my pain issues, my dentist can't numb me enough for the drilling not to hurt.

So we just - well, he numbs me as much as he can, I meditate as much as I can, and he and his assistant watch for cues from me on when to pause and let me get control back.

If I ever need a root canal or something, it's going to have to be done with some sort of general anaesthesia. (either twilight, or full.)
                            My boyfriend has to be sedated as well, he hates the dentist.

Comment

I have done EVERYTHING to try and get rid of this heel pain. It's been there for over 2 years with no relief. New shoes, orthotics, stretching, exercizes, therapy, ice, heat, pills, significant weight loss, cortizone, not a thing has even made a dent in this crap. I do not get out of bed without a massage. It takes the edge off but still feels like someone is driving an ice pick into my heel and my arch is being torn in half.

I have a surgical consult on Monday. I'm that desperate.

Comment

Working...
                              X