Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I first met my BFF's mom I couldn't understand her, she had an Iowa/English accent. Yes a truly odd combo. Her mom was from Iowa and after a few years in England (BFF's dad was in the Air Force) she'd gained an English accent on top of her Iowinian accent. I had to have my friend translate for me.

If someone asked me if I spoke English in that tone SC's like to use I'd answer "¿Sí, y tú?" or "Ja, und Sie?"
    Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
      A British co-worker of mine likes to joke about American English
      If said co-worker didn't go on to admit that there are some, er, 'peculiar' British Isles pronunciations, accents, dialects, and vernaculars, they weren't playing fairly. Cockney, Geordie, Brummie, etc. etc.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
        If said co-worker didn't go on to admit that there are some, er, 'peculiar' British Isles pronunciations, accents, dialects, and vernaculars, they weren't playing fairly. Cockney, Geordie, Brummie, etc. etc.
        Oh, he definitely admitted there were peculiar dialects.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
          I used to joke with people that there should be one of those language learning tools for learning "redneck" or something.

*snip*

But that would probably make us look more stupid than the rest of the world already thinks we are.
          I live in East Anglia in the UK (the bit that looks like the knee on a kangaroo) near to the Norfolk/Suffolk border. Since it's on the coast, most towns/villages have an array of tacky gift shops. I can guarantee you that at least one in three of them will have either a Norfolk or a Suffolk dialect translator tea towel.

I can neither confirm nor deny that I quietly sloped off to the local gift shop to work out what the hell some of my colleagues were saying when I moved over here...
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
            I used to joke with people that there should be one of those language learning tools for learning "redneck" or something.
            Speaker: "Sweet tea"
            Translator: "Swait tay"

Speaker: "Did you?"
            Translator: "Didja?"

Speaker: "He is an idiot."
            Translator: "Bless him."

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            Hitler, ruddy little ignoramus*

*This is what JRR Tolkien called Hitler
            More proof that Tolkien was a genius.

Quoth Cia View Post
            ...she'd gained an English accent on top of her Iowinian accent.
            I'm pretty sure it's Iowan, not Iowinian.

I mention this because it drives me nuts when people say "Arizonian." No such thing. It's Arizonan.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Re: accents.

I have a pretty decent ear for accents. In that I can generally imitate them pretty well once I listen to them for a bit. I can't always PLACE the accent, mind you.

There was a mover my Mom met once-- this might've been from when we were moving from Texas to Virginia-- who asked my Mom where she was from, and guessed she was from western Pennsylvania.

That's where my Mom was born, but she was raised and spent her life up until college in South Bend, Indiana. And somehow, this guy-- who admitted he's been all over the country in his job-- managed to place it.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                I live in East Anglia in the UK (the bit that looks like the knee on a kangaroo) near to the Norfolk/Suffolk border. Since it's on the coast, most towns/villages have an array of tacky gift shops. I can guarantee you that at least one in three of them will have either a Norfolk or a Suffolk dialect translator tea towel.

I can neither confirm nor deny that I quietly sloped off to the local gift shop to work out what the hell some of my colleagues were saying when I moved over here...
                My husband & I were both stationed in that area in the early 70's. We lived in Grundesburgh (can't remember exact spelling), Ipswich, & Saxmundham. By the time we left (were there over 4 yrs), I could figure out most of what people were saying.
                "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  Speaker: "He is an idiot."
                  Translator: "Bless him."
                  Not "Bless his heart."?

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
                    Not "Bless his heart."?
                    Even in the South, there are regional variations.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      Apparently I look ethnic, but have never sounded so to anyone that I know of. I technically am, if you count the native Americans in my family. But I look western European. I'm pale with blue-green eyes and medium brown hair. It's never stopped people from asking if I was Mexican or Egyptian, among other things.
                      I'm mostly of English descent. Medium-brown hair, blue eyes. But I'm on a lot of ships that go to the Middle East. I'm a Merchant Marine officer, working on auxiliary ships of the U.S. Navy -- yes, the cargo ships and fleet oilers are run by Merchant Marine personnel, though as employees of the Navy. Our ships are grey-hulled and numbered, though the names of our ships start with 'USNS,' United States Naval Ship, rather than 'USS.'

Anyway, in the Middle East when ashore, active-duty Navy sailors tend to think that I'm Middle-Eastern, which baffles me. I mean, blue eyes, light skin? Maybe it's the goatee, which they're not allowed to have.
                      Who hears all your prayers? Why, the NSA, of course!

Comment

Quoth SailorMan View Post
                        I'm mostly of English descent. Medium-brown hair, blue eyes. But I'm on a lot of ships that go to the Middle East. I'm a Merchant Marine officer, working on auxiliary ships of the U.S. Navy -- yes, the cargo ships and fleet oilers are run by Merchant Marine personnel, though as employees of the Navy. Our ships are grey-hulled and numbered, though the names of our ships start with 'USNS,' United States Naval Ship, rather than 'USS.'

Anyway, in the Middle East when ashore, active-duty Navy sailors tend to think that I'm Middle-Eastern, which baffles me. I mean, blue eyes, light skin? Maybe it's the goatee, which they're not allowed to have.
                        there are Middle Eastern people with light eyes. this one picture comes to mind http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...irl/index-text

My father in his sailing days (he's a sea captain by trade but has worked on shore for the last 303 years) used to be mistaken for English. His birthplace for Newcastle (NSW, Australia as opposed to Newcastle-on-the Tyne,England) muddied things up too.
                        Last edited by dawnfire; 10-12-2014, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          I'm pretty sure it's Iowan, not Iowinian.

I mention this because it drives me nuts when people say "Arizonian." No such thing. It's Arizonan.
                          When I was going to college East River I'd say Iowan because Iowa was just a hop, skip and a jump away but since I'm back living West River and Iowa is a good day's drive away I'm back to saying Iowinian.
                          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Cia, you go ahead and call it whatever you wish. Jester knows we are not supposed to correct one another's grammar or spelling here.
                            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth dawnfire View Post
                              Middle Eastern people with light eyes. this one picture comes to mind [/url]
                              She's since been identified (a few years ago, iirc): Sharbat Gula.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
                                When I was going to college East River I'd say Iowan because Iowa was just a hop, skip and a jump away but since I'm back living West River and Iowa is a good day's drive away I'm back to saying Iowinian.
                                I'm on the other side of the Muddy Mo, and I always heard people from the state which is an acronym for "Idiots Out Wandering Around" called "Iowegians"

Comment

Working...
                                X