This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She didn't know if she paid or not

I've been lucky, I haven't had anyone I was angry enough with to post about for a while.

Today this woman came to my line at the grocery store and had me help her get some things out of her cart and onto the belt. I saw she had some prescriptions in a grocery bag already, so I said "You already paid for those right because they're in a bag already"

She then said "I don't know."

Me: "Well, they must have given you a receipt right?"

Her: "I don't know."

Me: "Oh, ok" *takes one of the prescriptions and scans it* "I can check on the register and it'll tell me whether or not you did."

Her: "Don't you scan that! I want to talk to your manager right now!"

Me: *slightly shocked* "It's not double charging you, it's just telling me that you already paid for it. You told me you didn't know so I was checking for you."

Her: "I want your manager!"

I walk over and get my manager, tell her what happened, and she's trying to check the woman out now.

The woman says "YOu need to straighten her out! She's accusing me of stealing!"

At this point I wanted to tell the woman I would like to straighten her out in the parking lot by knocking her teeth out for lying.

I said "Ma'am, you said you didn't know whether you paid for them or not so I was checking for you!"

The woman: "I did not!"

My manager made a motion to shush me so I wouldn't make things worse.

I started sacking the woman's groceries and the woman said "I don't want her touching my groceries!"

My manager let me go over to self checkouts for a few minutes while she got thing straightened out. She told me to be careful how I talk to people and I told her that the woman said she didn't know whether she paid for them or not and I was only going by what she said.

I'm still really angry and it's been hours ago now!

Id would be pretty freaking angry is my manager/ customers treated me like that to. She should have believed you, even if only after the customer left. Sadly all alot of people care about is covering their own asses and getting rid of rude cows like her as quickly as possible.

I hope you were kidding though, about the knocking out of teeth. Pity the poor woman, how stupid can you be...not remembering if youve paid or not!
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Don't you wish you could say to your manager "Please put it in writing that asking for receipts is not allowed because if I don't check next time, I'm sure you'll be bawling me out for that too."
      Every day at work is the new worst day of my life.

Comment

I think she believed me, but she just was a little frustrated with the situation.

Oh, and I wasn't kidding about how I felt. I did feel like knocking that customer's teeth out. I was angry that she was lying about me.

I can't help how I feel.

It doesn't mean I'd actually do it.

I think the thing that makes me the angriest about it is that the woman said she didn't know and I was just trying to help her find out when she went ballistic on me.

Comment

Your manager should have thanked you for being alert. For me, "I don't remember whether I have paid" sounds a little bit like "I'm trying to see if anyone notices that I have these in my bag and have an explanation in case I get caught", but even if you're not as suspicious as I am, it's always ok to ask. That manager of yours is the one who didn't handle the situation well. Boo to her!
          And even if the customer really forgot if she had paid, she still was behaving like a proper SC.

Comment

It's totally crazy. I think it was perfectly reasonable to offer to check for her. I wouldn't have been so nice. I think I would have been "Have - you - paid - for - the item - or - not?" With long pauses between each word to express my displeasure at her glaring stupidity.

Sounds like she's one of those people who object to people asking to check receipts etc on the grounds that they feel they should be "trusted" and feel insulted by it. The "I don't know" may have been her stupid way of objecting to the process. Either that or she was nuts.
            Every day at work is the new worst day of my life.

Comment

At our store, prescriptions are required to be paid for in the pharmacy. Something about us lowly checkers not being licensed to sell drugs or something. Customers always have to let us know though, "I already paid for that",

Yeah, I know. Its the law.

I hate when they stick their "paid" for prescriptions up on the belt though. If its already been paid for, why are you sticking it up there? Just so you can tell me "I already paid for that"?

Really, I don't even want to handle their prescription. The last thing I need is some stoopid sc accusing me of not putting their vicodin in their bag or something. I'd like to think that legally, I am not allowedto handle it...that I would be breaking some "possesion" law. (I don't have a prescription for that), but I am probably protected by some super secret cashier law. I want to find out though. It is illegal for us to handle drugs that we don't have a prescription for?
              WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

Quoth batmoody View Post
                I want to find out though. It is illegal for us to handle drugs that we don't have a prescription for?
                Yes, it is illegal for someone to have possession of narcotics that are not prescribed to them. However, in the case of a cashier handling prescriptions in the setting of the store they work for, that would not be considered an illegal activity.
                "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Your manager doesn't sound very helpful! These sorts of situations with customers make me not want to bother anymore and not go out of my way to help people...all you get is abuse!
                  No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                    Yes, it is illegal for someone to have possession of narcotics that are not prescribed to them.

Can I get busted for possession if I'm picking up my fiance's medications from the small town pharmacy?
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                      Can I get busted for possession if I'm picking up my fiance's medications from the small town pharmacy?
                      I highly doubt it. Obviously the pharmacy gave it to you, so you must have some sort of authorization with your fiance's account. When my mom had neck surgery, she was on all kinds of fun stuff. Vicodin, Flexoril, morphine for emergencies. She couldn't drive for 13 months, so I was the pharmacy gopher and never had any trouble.
                      The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

My husband has picked up my narcotics for my back pain and has never had a problem.

However, in PA, you have to pay at the pharmacy for prescriptions, you can't just take them up to the check out to pay for them.
                        Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

We have them buy their prescriptions back with us. Why? for starters, my tills are linked to my computer, so I can record the exact second these guys buy their script. You'd be amazed (or maybe not) at how many people come to get something they've already picked up and totally forgot. Occasionally this is because their spouse already got it for them, but a lot of times the only person picking up is them.They accuse me of selling it to the wrong person, and I always tell em' to go home and double check....they never call me back.
                          The second thing is that it's really a loss prevention issue. It would be waaaay too easy for someone to take their script, stuff it in their pocket and leave, because there's no anti-theft devices in those bags. If it was a smart person, then they could come back and try to pick it up again after a shift change, and we'd be none the wiser because it would be showing up as unsold in the computer.

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                            Pity the poor woman, how stupid can you be...not remembering if youve paid or not!
                            My grandmother forgets things. Maybe that women has Alzheimer's. Or maybe that women had a lot on her mind. Not everyone that forgets something is stupid. But yeah, that woman was an SC
                            Last edited by powerboy; 12-12-2006, 06:36 PM.
                            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

No they're just stupid if they don't remember and then freak out on someone attempting to make sure that they did indeed pay for something.

Comment

Working...
                              X