Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Old 02-08-2019, 09:20 AM
Old counter jumper

Quote:
Quoth Racket_Man View Post
I did point out to them look at my history NO international calls prior to this. I am still not sure why the malware called those numbers.
The charges you had reversed contained extra payment for those numbers. This money was their profit. I knew of a man who racked up a bill of $15,000 when he didn't know his modem was dialing one of those numbers. He managed to talk the local telco into forgiving him that bill, but it was touch and go.

Those numbers still exist as sex lines. I see them advertised on late night television with some very pretty girl in a bikini, lying in a hammock, talking on a telephone or texting on a mobile. The voiceover says "I'm waiting to talk to YOU" in a sexy voice.

Hurk. I know what's at the other end of the text message. It's a computer with a simple A.I. with answers designed to keep you talking as long as possible.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:35 PM
Resident dyheli wrangler...

One LD charge that we always credit back shows up as #2030 because it's a known scam, but I always make a point of looking at all the bills when a caller disputes their long distance charges. Nine times out of ten when presented with the evidence of the repeated LD calls the customer will suddenly realize that they DID make those calls, including one today that I googled to find out if it was connected to a company - the caller did admit he called that company but did not realize that it was a LD number in the US.

@CrazedClerkthe2nd, confusing promotions are a big call driver right now but it has more to do with folks not reading the fine print about what they need to do in order to be eligible for said promotion. Why isn't that phone $0 down on your current phone plan? Well, because you have to have a certain tier of plan in order to get that phone at $0 down, and no amount of arguing will change it. Or for many of our data bonuses the customerstill need to meet specific criteria, even if they feel you should get it just because they're a special snowflake. When I started this job, I kept hoping that what you had posted wouldn't be a thing with the company I work for, but it totally has been. There are times when I wish I had the authority and power to shut entitled assholes down and cancel their accounts when they've stepped WAY beyond any and all boundaries.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:49 AM
Front End Supervisor

This is why I use Straight Talk, lol.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:19 PM
Bagger

Quote:
Quoth Argabarga View Post
I'm only surprised that this mentality shows it's worst face over.... phones.

Not booze, not cars, not real estate, nor race horses, nor military hardware.... the worst excesses of haggling/entitlement arise when trading in...

A gall-darn PHONE.
This is why I buy an unlocked phone and have a simple SIM-only deal with a no-fuss service provider that more than covers my needs, they didn't even contact me near contract end to sell me stuff.
Yes, the phone can be a large chunk upfront but it's cheaper than a phone\tariff combination and you don't have to worry about being charged for the phone after it's been paid.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:27 AM
Store Manager

Quote:
Quoth gerund View Post
Hurk. I know what's at the other end of the text message. It's a computer with a simple A.I. with answers designed to keep you talking as long as possible.
That would be the outright-scam version. The thing is, if you do that you get one call per customer. There are plenty of genuine sex-lines out there; it's easy enough to hire a few people with sultry voices (actual appearance is irrelevant), and hand them a pamphlet of popular routines, with key phrases and lines for the various kinks. I've heard from a few people who did that for a living, it's arguably less soul-killing than a lot of call-center jobs. So your sexy bikini girl is likely "played by" a 50-year-old mother of six sitting in an office, but whatever.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:42 AM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
I've heard from a few people who did that for a living, it's arguably less soul-killing than a lot of call-center jobs. So your sexy bikini girl is likely "played by" a 50-year-old mother of six sitting in an office, but whatever.
I am reminded of this scene from Blues Brothers 2000.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:29 AM
Other side of the m0dem

Call center work for a bank, which is what I do, is the worst I've ever experienced. People are entitled, talk to me like I"m stupid while they're so dumb that a rock has a higher IQ, and think it's ok to just be rude and interrupt me all the time, and if I"m really lucky, end the call with crashing a land line phone handset down in my ear.

They always bitch when I have to read disclosures or verify information, like I'm just doing it for the fuck of it. And I refuse the do the whole "I'm sorry I'm a human being wasting your time" bit too. I just tell people it's something I have to do legally and there is no getting around it.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:46 PM
High Priest to Grog-Boozith

Quote:
Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
And I am to the point with our store reps that I want to have them all get told off for the lies they constantly tell customers. "Oh! This tablet is my gift to you for being a loyal customer"...only for said customer to find out that he is being charged for the tablet and/or tablet line.
A while back, when I was getting my new phone (still my current phone), I was in need of a new tablet as well, as my old one was dying a slow death. My phone place offered me a deal for a new tablet where I payed X amount more on my phone bill each month, and I got the tablet. I thought it was a helluva deal, and I took it. And I’ve been thrilled with my phone and tablet ever since. Typing this on said tablet right now, actually. I’m glad the reps in that store didn’t lie to me about it, quite honestly.

Quote:
Quoth Argabarga View Post
I'm only surprised that this mentality shows it's worst face over.... phones.

Not booze, not cars, not real estate, nor race horses, nor military hardware.... the worst excesses of haggling/entitlement arise when trading in...

A gall-darn PHONE.
Oh, it definitely shows up when it comes to booze, my friend!

Quote:
Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
Once I explained to him that the store basically ripped him off and lied through their teeth he was surprisingly calm when he said he was going to go down to the store and tear a strip off the rep he dealt with and the store manager...
One of the funniest things I’ve ever seen in my life was when I was out with my friend Frank, and he had to go down to his cell phone provider’s store to deal with some issue. While we were waiting there, this very, VERY angry looking man marched into the store, and up to the counter, virtually breathing fire out of his very pores. The counter rep, either through top notch training or complete obliviousness, greeted him warmly and professionally, and asked, “What can I do for you today?”

The angry man put his phone on the counter and said, “Bring me a hammer.”

I laughed so hard I had to walk outside!

Quote:
Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
So your sexy bikini girl is likely "played by" a 50-year-old mother of six sitting in an office, but whatever.
The vast majority of sex line operators and sultry female DJs look nothing like the way they sound. With my broadcasting background, I notice people’s voices more than most, and am often amused by how rarely people’s looks and voices match up, and how often they are at complete odds with each other.

My voice is a perfect example. My *voice* is that of a 6’4”, tanned, muscular, beach bound stud muffin hunk. I....am not.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
Still A Customer."

Old 02-14-2019, 04:56 PM
The Hero CS Deserves

Quote:
And I refuse the do the whole "I'm sorry I'm a human being wasting your time" bit too.

"I'm very sorry to have wasted your time, Sir. In order to avoid doing that going forward, I am now terminating this call. Good bye." *click*
"Customers are like van gogh. They intentionally remove their ears when it suits them." TheDangOofMan, Reddit
"Logic: sometimes it's not a thing." - Food Lady

Old 02-15-2019, 12:02 AM
Resident dyheli wrangler...

Quote:
Quoth EricKei View Post
"I'm very sorry to have wasted your time, Sir. In order to avoid doing that going forward, I am now terminating this call. Good bye." *click*
I'm so going to use this! I wish I'd said this during a few calls today where the customers were stubbornly refusing to believe anything I said and told me I was wasting their time. Mind you, I did tell one guy that I was not going to get into it with him and his incorrect math over what he figured his late fee should have been on his recent bill and it was a waste of time to do the math for an entire year considering that he will not be assessed a late fee if he pays his bill by the due date...why argue about something that has not even happened yet? Ugh.

Speaking of voices, a work buddy of mine used to work in radio and has an amazing speaking voice but he definitely has a face for radio! I love listening to him take calls because on top of his voice he also tells some of the most amazing stories when he is building a rapport with a caller. As my own voice, I sound like a pretty girl next door when in actual fact I'm a plus-size Goth chick. My customer service voice definitely makes me sound way nicer than I really am, which seems to be a common theme!