This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• driveway =/= carpark

This came from my friend, hence it being a sighting.

She lives a short distance from her workplace (she works for a cafe) and as a result, will go home to eat during her lunch break. She also happens to live near a school-a very expensive private school. This results in some suckiness most afternoons when parents are parking to pick up their kidlets, because god forbid the kidlets should actually have to WALK 500m to the car. (Seriously-most school areas look like a minefield at pickup time)

One lady decided that my friend's driveway was the best spot to park her car, so she parks her car there and walks off. This happened a few times before my friend did something both smart and stupid. She blocked in the sucky lady.

Sucky lady knocks on my friends door and informs her that she needs to go RIGHT THIS MINUTE. My friend looks her very sweetly in the eye and says with a totally straight face "Sorry, I'm not ready to go yet."

Cue catbutt face and sucky lady stomps off.

Next time my friend is not only blocking her in, but calling the council. Given that she shares house with 3 other guys and her landlord lives right next door, sucky lady can't claim that she owns/lives there either!
    Last edited by fireheart; 08-19-2013, 10:14 AM.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Quoth fireheart View Post
    This came from my friend, hence it being a sighting.

Next time my friend is not only blocking her in, but calling the council. Given that she shares house with 3 other guys and her landlord lives right next door, sucky lady can't claim that she owns/lives there either!
    One of my colleagues faces the same problem at his home, if your friend or my colleague comes up with a better solution, sharing is indicated!

So far, rejected ideas include:
    Lipstick messages on windscreens (he doesn't want to explain to his wife why her lipstick is ruined)
    Parking tickets (exactly the same as private parking invoices, unenforceable but worth a try I thought)
    Taking off a wheel, and leaving a "Thanks for the free gift" notice on the windscreen (too much chance of rozzer intervention)
    Actually getting a private parking company to tow (would need a bunch of neighbours to gang up, costs money)
    Mysteriously needing to go out whenever sucky parent parks, accompanied with much hooting and honking.

He has before now walked into an evening class at the school, asked the yoga instructor for permission, then shouted about the idiocy of a driveway blocker when he needs to take his pregnant wife to the hospital, and had shamed the lady in question publicly, until she owned up and moved her car.

Keep us posted!

Comment

A camp song:

Oh, I stuck my head in a little skunk's hole,
      Little skunk said, "You'll wish you were dead."
      "Take it out. Take it out. Take it out. Please, remove it."

Oh, I didn't take it out of the little skunk's hole, and the
      Little skunk said, "You'll wish you were dead."
      "Take it out. Take it out. Take it out. Re-ee-move it."

Oh, I didn't take it out of the little skunk's hole, and the
      Little skunk said, "P-s-s-s-s-t"
      I removed it
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Would have served entitled bitch right if she parked in the driveway of someone who was getting a load of mulch/topsoil/whatever delivered, and that they were planning on spreading over the next few weekends.

Deliveryman: Where do you want the topsoil?
        Homeowner: Just dump it in the driveway in front of the car.
        D: But then you'll be blocked in
        H: Don't worry - I don't plan on using the car before I finish with the topsoil

Of course, homeowner fails to mention that they don't plan on using the car EVER, because it belongs to the entitled kid-picker-upper. Have fun not being able to move the car for the few weeks it takes the homeowner to transfer the topsoil to the parts of the garden where they're planning on using it.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth bunrotha View Post
          One of my colleagues faces the same problem at his home, if your friend or my colleague comes up with a better solution, sharing is indicated!

Lipstick messages on windscreens (he doesn't want to explain to his wife why her lipstick is ruined)
          Parking tickets (exactly the same as private parking invoices, unenforceable but worth a try I thought)
          Taking off a wheel, and leaving a "Thanks for the free gift" notice on the windscreen (too much chance of rozzer intervention)
          Actually getting a private parking company to tow (would need a bunch of neighbours to gang up, costs money)
          Mysteriously needing to go out whenever sucky parent parks, accompanied with much hooting and honking.
          You could get one of these...

Comment

Easier to sort that this, but only if there are walls/gate posts.

Attach a chain across the gap where the car drives up. Tie it tight so they can't lift it over their car.

While it won't completely prevent them from getting out they will commit criminal damage getting out or they'll scratch their precious paintwork to buggery.
            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
              I'm the sort that will call a tow truck to remove the offending vehicle.
              I'm the same way and so are some of my friends, on thing that five of us can agree on is to block the person in and call a tow truck. One of my friends lives in an apartment complex and has an assigned numbered spot so he gets pissed when he can't park in his space.
              ......../\
              ....../__\
              ..../\...../\
              ../__\../__\

Comment

We live in a beach community, near a lot of bars and shops, and occasionally find a car parked across our driveway. The one time my husband actually caught a guy leaving his car across our driveway and asked him to not park there, the guy said "don't be such an a$$hole" hubby replied "no, an a$$hole would have waited till you left and THEN had you towed".

Now hubby calls it sport towing and just calls the towtruck. Once he got chewed up and down by the very hungover 20 something chica on how he shouldn't be contributing to her bad day (guess the guy she went home with wasn't all that). Another time it was by a new neighbor whose car we did not recognize, and was "just dropping off her groceries for 10 minutes" 45 minutes ago (like knocking on our door and, you know, asking, was too much trouble).

Comment

I'd love to see someone who doesn't belong, isn't welcome and didn't ask, parking in our driveway. Loooooonnnnggg driveway, ending in three houses with a roulette system of politeness. I'm strangely the most polite, as I will BLARE MY HORN to scare away the deer the jackass was aiming at while blocking the end of our driveway. My parents are bad about using the police siren.. which has the most interesting effect on the deer hunters in our area. Prolly 'cause most of 'em are high, drunk (both) or hunting off a road (thus illegal.)

Did I mention that I am very rural, so our biggest problem is.. deer hunters? And once construction people, when they were putting in the gas line next door, but at least their sup asked us first.
                  Last edited by raudf; 08-19-2013, 08:43 PM. Reason: 11 month old + keyboard = he hits enter at the wrong time.
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth bunrotha View Post
                    Buy a cheap, waxy lipstick in an offensive colour.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                      Buy a cheap, waxy lipstick in an offensive colour.
                      Pretty much this.

Basically, go to any department store or $2 shop. Chances are that they'll have something garish as hell.

My friend reassured me that I could park there if I was working in the area (since the school in question has one of my worksites on it), but I said that I would only as a last resort and if I would, I'd at least give her notice when I was coming in.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                        Basically, go to any department store or $2 shop. Chances are that they'll have something garish as hell.
                        Ideally with glitter in it
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth bunrotha View Post
                          Just make it clear that the vehicle is not yours, just the parking place. I'm sure the EW will be the one paying.

My parents had a problem with a delivery driver parking his truck overnight in his agency parking lot. They just put a sign in the windshield threatening to tow it if they saw it again.
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            Ideally with glitter in it
                            Or get a whole bag of glitter, that stuff gets in everywhere, they'll find it years after... in the car!
                            No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
                              Or get a whole bag of glitter, that stuff gets in everywhere, they'll find it years after... in the car!
                              Oooohhhh, yeah.. and they might still be finding it long after they get another vehicle too!

Just post a wonderful little sign that says, "Private Property, No PARKING at ANY TIME. Violators will be towed at vehicle owner's expense! And that's if I'm feeling nice. If not, the vehicle will be glitter bombed!"
                              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
                              X