This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting back in Shape - the second version

The exercise bike went the way of anything I'm sat on and listing badly to port - the scrap metal place. Instead, after a slight hiatus, I am now the proud owner of a crosstrainer (elliptical to some).

Started on it thinking it would be easy enough and lasted two minutes. I was shattered. I slowly managed to get that up somewhat and I managed sessions on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of twenty minutes each. After yesterday off, I managed a twenty-five minute session today.

Damn me, but I'm sweaty. I'll start doing the not eating so much thing shortly and be recording here.

So, your contribution?

Rapscallion

You need a tv to put it in front of...

the old ones I used at the gym before they had a refurb had built in tv screens... if I timed it right for a good program I could struggle on for a while.
    Now these new ones don't, so I'm barely on there 5-10 mins if I bother now

I podcast my way on the treadmill & windjammer mostly these days, followed by a peddle on a recliner bike while reading a book on my kindle app on the phone... surprised myself how much I've managed getting stuck into a good book.
    My workouts are still no where near as good as they were 8 months or so ago though, wish I knew where my energy has run off to
    Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Quoth Cazzi View Post
      You need a tv to put it in front of...
      This. Very much this. In my living room, we have the Health Rider and an exercise bike. Across from them is the tv. Whenever I'm on the Health Rider, I *have* to have something on tv to watch while I'm doing my workout. The best things, I've found, are either music DVDs (with my Riverdance DVD, I can go an hour without stopping) or some kind of cooking competition (weirdly, I've found it works best with Chopped and Cupcake Wars).

If the power is out, which has happened before, I turn Pandora on on my phone and let that go for the hour I'm on the Health Rider.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

I have a portable DVD player there. Currently playing a CD I picked up.

Rapscallion

Comment

I love the elliptical! I use both it and the treadmill

If I'm on the ellptical, I'll watch a movie on my Nook, and if I'm on the treadmill, I read.

Have to get in training for hiking in October....I haven't had a chance to hit the trail due nasty heat.

And I have to make my stomach smaller! I swear I look preggers after every meal.
          "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
          "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

I love blasting music. Problem is, I don't have an iPod, not that you can use one while in the gyms here. Definitely not bringing my laptop. I'd kill for a stationary bike. I could go for hours on that.

Just waiting for my new sneakers to get here. Supposed to be good if you are flat footed. Once I do, I'm going to force myself into the gym. Get back to bench press, upright row, french curls, shrugs (hoping it'll help my shoulder with chronic pain), crunches, forget the name of another one with dumbbells (you start with your arms up in a L shape, then push up and they meet over your head), and plenty of running.

I was 198 lbs. when I got to Afghanistan. Right now I'm somewhere around the low 180s. I even hit 179 at one point. Most of that was just not eating tons. Not going for seconds. Not snacking so much. I'm hoping when I work out I can drop to 170 at some point.
            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

When I went to physio training the instructors there had a cool "beginner" schedule for the elliptical, it went: 5 minutes of training - 1 minute to stretch out and catch your breath - 6 minutes training - 1 minute stretching - 7 minutes training and so on, for approx. 45 minutes in total before one hit the weight machines. Eventually one could then amp up the pace and the time before stretching out, until one could do 45 minutes of training in one go.
              A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Hubby and I have started on Fitocracy since most of our problem is maintaining motivation and it seems to be helping (even if we are both only level 2). For those who don't know anything about it Fitocracy essentially is an exorcize program for gamers, you log your day's workout (including actual gym workouts as well as things like taking the stairs instead of an elevator or walking/biking/whatever somewhere instead of driving), you gain points for everything (you can get extra points for reaching certain achievements and completing quests), and as you gain points you level up. As you level the amount of points needed to reach the next level increases and the points that you gain for activities decreases. There are even groups, a forum, and a leader board, as well as options to follow (and be followed by) your friends so you can hold each other accountable.

It is currently invite only but I still have most of my invites left so if anyone wants to join send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you an invite.

Comment

Life is full of learning experiences. I just wish that so many of mine didn't involve pain. Today was the first day of school for me and, since my class wasn't until 4, I hit the track first thing in the morning. Did 12 laps before I had to pause. Decided, after some stretching and water, to do another few more. Big mistake. @_@ I hurt.
                  "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

I bought a cross trainer years ago thinking it would be great.

I Hated It!!!!

For me, the treadmill and bike are my best options. My trainer has got me into interval training (walk for 90sec, run for 90, walk for 60, run for 90, etc...) I have found this keeps me motivated and the time goes really quickly.

I can't watch TV or read while I work out, it just doesn't sync with me. I do like to listen to my iPod sometimes, as long as its good heavy metal / industrial

My problem is portion size and snacking. I'm seeing a dietician next week to work on that side.
                    "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
                    "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
                    "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Did the twenty-five minute session two days back and gave myself the day off yesterday as muscles were grumbly. Was intending just a twenty today, but did the twenty-five again.

Going to hurt later, methinks.

Portion size - need to work on that myself.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post

Rapscallion
                        I'm currently attempting to shrink mine, one thing about the slimming club I quit is that they had an "eat as much as you want" philosophy.

only trouble is, choc & jellybeans tend to come in small portions too
                        Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

I was watcing the infomercial for the Food Lovers' diet. It makes sense (they give away the concept in the cmmercial; why does anyone buy it?). Basically you have a balanced meal of protein, high-glycemic carbs, and low-glycemic ones. Plus, you eat often, every 3 hours. I don't eat exactly like that, but close. I've lost 25 lbs in the last 2 years. I would've lost more if I had been exercising. So my current thing is to walk an hour 5 days a week. Not sure what I'll do when it's really cold.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I leveled up again last night!

That being said my calves are super tight today, even though I stretched really well so I think I'll have to hold off on the elliptical for tonight, maybe I'll work on my arms and see if I can complete one of those quests.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                              Did the twenty-five minute session two days back and gave myself the day off yesterday as muscles were grumbly. Was intending just a twenty today, but did the twenty-five again.

Going to hurt later, methinks.

Rapscallion
                              Rest days are just as important as workouts. Never feel guilty for taking a rest day, you body needs it. I work on a 2 days on / 1 day off routine myself and it works for me. Some do Mon-Fri and have the weekend off.

I started keeping a food/workout diary about 3 weeks ago. Everything I eat goes in there, as well as my gym workouts, and I have noticed in just that short time, that I am more concious of what I'm eating and how much. I am starting to recognise when I am full and when to stop eating.

I have also cut out mid morning "snacks" at work. It is actually a nice feeling to get to lunch and actually feel hungry rather than eating simply because its lunchtime.

My weight has stagnated for the last few months, but I've lost about 1.5kg in the last 3 weeks so I must be doing something right
                              "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
                              "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
                              "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Working...
                              X