Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Houston, we have a Jester.... (Suggestions needed....)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston, we have a Jester.... (Suggestions needed....)

So I pleasantly surprised my niece Dragon the other day when I told her that I would without question be at her high school graduation in June. This came as a shock to her, as I am in Key West and she is in Houston, and frankly, she wasn't expecting it.

So, while I probably will not be in Houston for that many days, and will probably be spending much of that time with Dragon and the rest of the Houston folks, I may have some free time and/or dining opportunities available to me.

So, can anyone here suggest some great places to eat in and around Houston? I am a foodie, and love all levels of food, from street carts to fine dining, so long as it's has quality and taste. So, thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas? Places that are musts to go to, or musts to avoid? Places that you've seen on any food shows are a definite plus. If I've seen them on tv, even more so.

Also, any suggestions for entertainment? I am not big on clubs, I like bars, I especially like craft beer bars, or wine bars, or just fun, raucous, and rowdy bars. I am not big on museums, unless they have a cool aerospace museum there. (I got lost in the Smithsonian version in D.C. for hours once.) I may take in a baseball game if the Astros are in town, but doubt that any other sports will be going on then. (Unless, of course, the Rockets are in the playoff hunt....if there are any NBA playoffs this year.)

So, Houston suggestions.....my mind is now open and receptive to all Houston-area ideas for Jesterly entertainment this coming June.

Hit me.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

What kind of food do you like? I can think of many more places if I know your preferences.
    Favorite Mexican food: Los Cucos
    Favorite Vietnamese food: Cali Sandwich (but don't look in the bathroom!!) If you only want Pho, go to Pho Saigon or Pho Binh Trailer
    Favorite food trucks: Phamily Bites (amazing Vietnamese food), Bernie's Burger Bus (yummy, greasy burgers)
    Random Favorite: Jus' Mac (Mac & Cheese, amazing)
    Favorite Burger: Christian's Tailgate (also a decent selection of beer, got a Lagunitas IPA and a Real Ale Fireman's 4 there last night) but there are a bunch of good ones in the area
    Favorite Seafood & Fancy Restaurant: Reef (though I'm sure the seafood is nothing compared to your hometown)
    Favorite Gastropub: BRC (southern comfort food, with good beer)
    Favorite Breakfast: Barnaby's (go for fresh squeezed OJ and their green eggs)

I LOVE craft beer, and my favorites are:
    Petrol Station (they specialize in IPAs but have a decent selection of most stuff)
    Flying Saucer (it's a chain, but it has over 100 beers available)
    Liberty Station
    Of course, taplister is your friend. There are a lot of new places popping up all the time with good beer selections but these three places are my go to places.

AHAHAHAHAHA at the Rockets being good We do have a soccer team (Dynamo) that's pretty good but I'm not sure of when they play. As for other stuff to do, you'd have to ask me closer to the date. At least your Astros tickets will be cheap, and they close the roof so it shouldn't be horribly hot.
    I can think of more interesting things to do when it gets closer, since a lot of what I do tends to be one time only events like music festivals or a zombie walk or whatever.

Edit: All this stuff is inside the loop, so if you're out in the burbs you're mostly on your own. I know a few fun Sugarland things, but that's about it.
    Last edited by trailerparkmedic; 11-03-2011, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
      What kind of food do you like?
      Yes.

Favorite Seafood & Fancy Restaurant: Reef (though I'm sure the seafood is nothing compared to your hometown)
      My hometown is Tempe, Arizona. I just happen to LIVE in Key West, Florida. But as Houston is not that far from the Gulf, I am sure they have great seafood, too.

We have a few places here that do fresh squeezed OJ, two of which do them TO ORDER, which is pretty damn impressive. But I have to ask.....green eggs??!?!?!?

Flying Saucer (it's a chain, but it has over 100 beers available)
      I have actually heard of Flying Saucer from my Kansas City friends, but I have never been to one. And being a chain is not always a bad thing. The Yard House and World of Beer are both chains, but considering the great selection of beers they have, I am a fan of both. And I look forward to checking out Flying Saucer after hearing so much about it!

Of course, taplister is your friend.
      Noted. Thank you.

We do have a soccer team (Dynamo) that's pretty good but I'm not sure of when they play.
      I would rather gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon then attend a soccer match, the only exception being if it was one involving Brazil, as female Braizilian soccer fans are SMOKING hot.

At least your Astros tickets will be cheap, and they close the roof so it shouldn't be horribly hot.
      I'm from Arizona. Heat doesn't scare me.

Edit: All this stuff is inside the loop, so if you're out in the burbs you're mostly on your own. I know a few fun Sugarland things, but that's about it.
      I have no idea where I'll be. I probably should find that out. But as I will have a car either way, it's not big deal.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        We have a few places here that do fresh squeezed OJ, two of which do them TO ORDER, which is pretty damn impressive. But I have to ask.....green eggs??!?!?!?
        The ham is green too?
        [/SUESS]
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          ... a cool aerospace museum ...
          Can you spell NASA?

The Saturn V my mom's cousin would visit once a nonth to weep uncontrollably? (It was going to be his ride, until the flight was cancelled)
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            My hometown is Tempe, Arizona. I just happen to LIVE in Key West, Florida. But as Houston is not that far from the Gulf, I am sure they have great seafood, too.
            Sorry, don't know how I forgot that. Seafood can be pretty hit or miss here--you'll pay for good seafood, and avoid any place that only deep fries it. Don't get anyone from New Orleans (or most of Louisiana) started on how seafood sucks in Houston compared to there!

Quoth Jester View Post
            But I have to ask.....green eggs??!?!?!?
            It's eggs with spinach, artichoke hearts, and jack cheese. They are very creamy and delicious, if you like spinach and artichoke hearts.
            Sadly, they come with sausage, not ham.

Quoth Jester View Post
            he Yard House and World of Beer are both chains, but considering the great selection of beers they have
            I think there's a Yard House here, though I've never been.

Quoth Jester View Post
            I'm from Arizona. Heat doesn't scare me.
            I'm not saying it should scare you. The heat gets annoying very quickly is all.

If you want more food recommendations, let me know. I just normally need some prompting to think beyond my usual places.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              Can you spell NASA?
              How many times on this site am I going to be forced to say this:

Clearly, I'm an idiot.

Yeah, kind of forgot the fact (which I knew) that NASA gives tours. Duh.

Hell, we even did a NASA tour at their Florida facility when we went to Disney World when I was a kid. Saw the Space Shuttle prototype and everything. This was before they ever launched a Shuttle, back in '77. Even got a toy version of the Shuttle, which, other than my X-Wing Fighter, was my prize possession as a kid.

Sorry, don't know how I forgot that. Seafood can be pretty hit or miss here--you'll pay for good seafood, and avoid any place that only deep fries it. Don't get anyone from New Orleans (or most of Louisiana) started on how seafood sucks in Houston compared to there!
              Having eaten seafood in New Orleans, I can't fault them....they really do know what they're doing with it. Etoufee, jambalaya, po boys....mmmm....yummy.

That being said, outside of buffalo wings, I rarely ever get anything fried. Seafood is so much better when prepared in other ways.

It's eggs with spinach, artichoke hearts, and jack cheese. They are very creamy and delicious, if you like spinach and artichoke hearts.
              Sadly, they come with sausage, not ham.
              Sounds YUMMY! And I love sausage, so it's all good.

I think there's a Yard House here, though I've never been.
              Upon checking their website, the answer is yes, there is a Yard House in Houston, at Houston City Centre. Which I presume is downtown. (I'm bright like that.)

If you want more food recommendations, let me know. I just normally need some prompting to think beyond my usual places.
              I do, but no stress...you have plenty of time. Say about 8 months?

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
              X