This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bi-polar sales person?

OK, so: last week I was on a belated honeymoon (thank you for the good wishes ) in Istanbul, in Turkey.
    My wife and I went to all the tourist spots - including the Grand Bazaar. Now, it is to be known that people there are EXPECTED to haggle. No, honestly, Turkish people told us so. And all the shopkeepers in the Bazaar (which is HUGE and crammed with tiny shops trying to compete with each other) were really happy to "play along" with us.
    Only one quite major suckage happened, in a day in which my wife had decided to stay in the hotel for the morning as she was not feeling too well and I had gone to the Bazaar to buy some last things (basically, apple tea - which is amazing there).

I am approached by a shopkeeper (that is what they do, you don't approach them, they approach you) trying to sell me lokum, what we usually call Turkish Delight. Now, I had already bought several boxes of it and I didn't want to buy more, and I made it clear with him. Also, I didn't have much cash - about 50TL (25€uro). He kept insisting that his offers are better than the others' and I needed to listen, even though I had made clear that I didn't want to buy and that I was not trying to haggle - I was actually not interested. He put a big box in my hands quoting a price over 3 times the one I paid in a supermarket (for the very same box), I insisted that I was not interested. He PHISICALLY blocked my way when I tried to walk away (I am a big man, but he is also quite big - and I had no intention to push him away or anything, me being in a foreign country and all) and kept insisting, piling a couple more boxes in my hands and making "an offer I can't refuse". I, of course, did - I was REALLY not interested. I think I made this VERY clear more than once.
    When he (finally) realised it, the salesman/shopkeeper started being REALLY abusive, as in "Get the **** out of here, **** off, you are a bad person, you are here to steal my time", things like that.
    For once I was quick enough to reply: "You stopped me, you didn't allow me to leave, I told you I was not interested; you **** off and be ashamed, I never met anybody so bad in this country, you are the worst Turkish person I met. You are worth 1 Lira", which I proceeded to hand him. 1 Lira is worth 0.50€, about 0.65$.
    Well, I shut him up.
    I was mean - but he called for it, I think.
    Last edited by C. Cecil Ivanish; 10-15-2010, 01:14 PM. Reason: typo
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Oh!

You were mean, but he did deserve it.

Im hoping you shaming him helped him to learn a lesson.

Also, IM JEALOUS!!! Turkey is on the TOP of my "go to" list.

Hope you had a fabulous time.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
      Oh!
      You were mean, but he did deserve it.
      I agree on both statements
      Quoth Amina516 View Post
      Also, IM JEALOUS!!! Turkey is on the TOP of my "go to" list.
      Hope you had a fabulous time.
      We visited only Istanbul, but it is positively GORGEOUS! And the people are great (except for that single guy). We had the best of times.
      FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

Quoth C. Cecil Ivanish View Post
        We visited only Istanbul
        Not constantinople?

sorry that damn song is now stuck in my head *pokes singing voices in head with a cotton swab* stop it....
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

me too!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeQ-wjDH4F4

=)

sounds like that guy went to the same business school as the mall kiosks.
          where they teach you that you can make a sale if you annoy the customer enough.
          Last edited by PepperElf; 10-16-2010, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Noone ever remembers Byzantium.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

My niece is learning Turkish in school (7th grade, she started in 6th). She wanted French, but has been pretty happy with Turkish once she got over the disappointment. She's told me she would like to visit Turkey some day.

She has the benefit of teachers who are from Turkey: a lot of the teachers at the charter school she goes to are from there, so I'm hoping she'll actually learn enough to become fluent someday.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I agree on both statements We visited only Istanbul, but it is positively GORGEOUS!
                I WANT TO GO SO BADDDDDDDDDDDDDD!

Have any pics [of Istanbul] you care to share?

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                  Not constantinople?
                  Why'd they change it I can't say. I guess they liked it better that way.

I'd love to go to Turkey to meet Bald Bull if he was real.

I prefer this video personally.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv-KcF3Rkv8
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    I Do!

well after all its where my ancestors were from, and I still bear a Byzantine last name
                    "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
                    Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                      Not constantinople?
                      AAAAAAAGH, been humming it for the whole holiday!
                      Quoth Seshat View Post
                      Oh, we did, quite often!
                      Quoth Panacea View Post
                      My niece is learning Turkish in school (7th grade, she started in 6th). She wanted French, but has been pretty happy with Turkish once she got over the disappointment. She's told me she would like to visit Turkey some day.
                      Sounds like a very, VERY tough language. Not much to do with the other European languages, and little in common with the Middle Eastern languages too... but it is a very interesting choice! We learned how to say "thank you" and "that's fine", and the locals seemed (or pretended to be) impressed. I guess that few tourists make the effort...
                      Quoth Amina516 View Post
                      Have any pics [of Istanbul] you care to share?
                      Hmm, we uploaded a lot of them on Facebook... but I'd have to tell you my real name (yes, my pictures are "accessible to everybody")... will send you the link in a PM probably later today (if I can remember!)
                      Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                      Why'd they change it I can't say. I guess they liked it better that way.
                      Even old New York once was New Amsterdam...
                      FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post

She has the benefit of teachers who are from Turkey: a lot of the teachers at the charter school she goes to are from there, so I'm hoping she'll actually learn enough to become fluent someday.
                        Wow, in 7th grade? When I went to school back in the Paleolithic, they didn't even teach the standard French, Spanish and Latin...we had to wait for high school for that.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

When I was in 3rd grade (at the first of three schools... moved twice that year), the school I attended taught Spanish as part of the standard curriculum.

The only thing I really remember from that class is that "tree" in Spanish sounds vaguely like "marble." Which, yes, I know is not really right.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                            The only thing I really remember from that class is that "tree" in Spanish sounds vaguely like "marble." Which, yes, I know is not really right.
                            Well, it DOES rhyme - just pronounce "marble" in posh English without the M
                            FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

Comment

Well, it DOES rhyme - just pronounce "marble" in posh English without the M
                              Isn't that spelled Marlborough in Blighty?

Like Lester, Chumley, Tolliver...
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X