This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's NYE, M--F--!

Last night was insanely busy at The Resort. We sold out of our rooms over two weeks prior. The restaurants were booked, and in addition we have our super-stupendous annual NYE party that was full to capacity. We did end up with a few last minute cancellations so we had a couple rooms to sell with the caveat that they likely would have to dine off-site for the evening as we were otherwise full.

Things went smoothly for the most part, but I felt like I needed a pet Samual L Jackson to explain things to a few guests who just weren't getting why we were so busy. I wonder how much it costs to rent him. I will have to look into that next year. Because...

"This is the longest check-in line I've ever had to wait in!"

Yeah, the lobby is packed and the line is long. We have all available staff checking you in as fast as we can. It's busy. It's one of our busiest nights of the year. Must be 'cause it's NYE, m--f--!

"So why are you full?"

Someone came and picked up one of our last-minute cancellation rooms. They were told on the phone that the restaurants were packed. At check-in:

"So you have the party which is packed. And you have two restaurants. And you're telling me that even with the party, both restaurants are booked full?!?"

Well yeah. You know, people are out celebrating. It's sort of like it's a holiday or something. In fact, it's NYE m---f---!

"But we booked a block..."

Guest calls and is part of a group checking in Jan 1st. Now, guests who booked NYE with our party package get 2pm checkouts, and the majority of the hotel is booked on that package, so I'm not promising any early check-ins for Jan 1st.

SC: "I was hoping we could check-in early tomorrow."
    Me: "Our check-in is at 4pm. If something is clean earlier we can check you in, but I should warn you we are full tonight and I don't think many of our guests will be checking out early tomorrow. It is Jan 1st, after all."
    SC: "But our group booked a block of rooms to be ready!"
    Me: "Yes, they booked for a block of rooms to be ready by 4pm. I can't promise anything before then."
    SC: "Ugh, how can you be so busy? I'll just call back in the morning."

How can we be so busy? Is this really a difficult concept to grasp? It's NYE, m--f---!

So many of these calls...

SC on the phone: "I wanted to make reservations for the gala tonight."
    Me: "Unfortunately our gala and our restaurants are fully committed this evening."
    SC: "There's no room left? Not even one seat?"

No, 'cause it's 6pm on NYE, m---f---!

Missing clothes

Not sucky, but one woman was laughing about how she packed 16 tops and no pants. "I'm wearing the same pants I was wearing yesterday! I completely forgot to pack any!"

Another gent lost his suit. It did turn up in lost and found, but still, just misplaced an entire suit whilst in the lobby?

What sort of madness is this? It's NYE, m--f--!!!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I had a brain fart and was hoping this post would be about Bill Nye and the riot of awesome left in his wake.
    Flood

Comment

Haha even though this was full of sucks, I got a chuckle out of reading "It's NYE, m--f---!" over and over again in Samuel L. Jackson's voice.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
        So many of these calls...

SC on the phone: "I wanted to make reservations for the gala tonight."
        Me: "Unfortunately our gala and our restaurants are fully committed this evening."
        SC: "There's no room left? Not even one seat?"

No, 'cause it's 6pm on NYE, m---f---!
        Boy, talk about waiting until literally the last second! Buddy, you can't get space in Podunk, what makes you think you're going to find space someplace popular?

Comment

Over here in Sydney, people were camping out on the edge of the harbour for at least 2 DAYS prior to the fireworks display because they wanted a prime position for the fireworks.

Those that didn't but were still able to get to a place wound up with a VERY long delay to get home as one of the signal boxes between two major train stations wound up screwing up and there was a mass scramble to get buses.
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
            Those that didn't but were still able to get to a place wound up with a VERY long delay to get home as one of the signal boxes between two major train stations wound up screwing up and there was a mass scramble to get buses.
            Sounds like a typical night for City Fail lol!
            the end of an era is not the completion of a destiny. Momentum comes when we believe the best for the future, we keep speaking life into the future, and we commit to the future - Brian Houston

Comment

What kind of idiot tries to book a reservation for a party on the night of the party?? Especially the biggest celebration of the year?

Yeah, yeah, I know...see name of this site...
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Because THEY'RE the ONLY people in the WORLD built to CATER TO THEM ONLY!!!

Sheesh, can't believe you didn't know THAT>
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth brucetiki View Post
                  Sounds like a typical night for City Fail lol!
                  Something like that.

Honestly, I've never had any major issues with City Fail . Then again, ANYTHING is better than my hometown's almost nonexistent rail system...so much so that I cannot take my partner on trains in our hometown whenever we visit because he spends the entire trip bitching about the trains.
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    What kind of idiot tries to book a reservation for a party on the night of the party?? Especially the biggest celebration of the year?

Yeah, yeah, I know...see name of this site...
                    Maybe they think that next NYE will fall on a different date. Same applies to people who wait until Christmas Eve to hunt down that year's Turboman.
                    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Flood View Post
                      I had a brain fart and was hoping this post would be about Bill Nye and the riot of awesome left in his wake.
                      You're not alone, #NYE was (unsurprisingly) trending on social media & I saw more than one comment wondering if Bill had passed...
                      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                        Because THEY'RE the ONLY people in the WORLD built to CATER TO THEM ONLY!!!

Sheesh, can't believe you didn't know THAT>
                        I WANT A LIKE BUTTON!!! Sorry, didn't mean to yell that .
                        "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                          Boy, talk about waiting until literally the last second! Buddy, you can't get space in Podunk, what makes you think you're going to find space someplace popular?
                          You waited until $Big_Day before trying to book a table at a restaurant? Hope you live near a TA or a Petro. Their full-service restaurants are always "drop in - no reservations needed (or given)". Of course, the food at a truck stop isn't going to be anything fancy.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                            You waited until $Big_Day before trying to book a table at a restaurant? Hope you live near a TA or a Petro. Their full-service restaurants are always "drop in - no reservations needed (or given)". Of course, the food at a truck stop isn't going to be anything fancy.
                            Actually the truck stop near the Bay Bridge Tunnel [up towards what used to be a traffic circle] was the place in area that had gator nuggets and rattle snake chili ... this was back in hte late 1980s, so t probably isn't there any longer. I was startled to see the traffic circle missing, and so much building up of places that were sparse.
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              Their full-service restaurants are always "drop in - no reservations needed (or given)". Of course, the food at a truck stop isn't going to be anything fancy.
                              My local one used to serve eggs benedict on weekend breakfast buffets. Now, it's just a ham carving station.
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                              X