Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love love love it when customers try to kill me!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth greek_jester View Post
    Something that obvious either means someone sued successfully for not having a warning about nuts on it, or the company has just become so litigation-shy that they're slapping Duh!warnings on everything in sight just to avoid problems.
    Third possibility: The company produces a variety of products ranging from the "Duh!" to the "no Duh!", and that was easier than drawing a fine line between the two.

Comment

I haven't seen the nut warning on containers of nuts yet, but Hubby and I do get a laugh whenever we see labels like "gluten-free," "dairy-free," or "0g trans fat" on products that would never have those in the first place.

For instance, we buy applesauce in those to-go pouches because our kids like them, and the price is decent. If you look at the ingredients lists, they consist of pureed apples, apple juice, and possibly other fruit purees if you get one of the flavor mixes. Nothing else. The package feels the need to advertise "gluten, nut, and dairy-free."

I do think sometimes things have to announce that they're gluten-free, though, just because some people just don't understand what gluten actually is. Like thinking it might be in rice because rice is a grain like wheat. But when you have to point out that applesauce is gluten-free? Seriously? Or honey. I've seen that label on honey before too.
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I'd be happier if they labelled it 'processed in a factory which only processes fruit products'. Perhaps with 'allergen information' in front of that label.
        And yes, if they want to call the 'factory' a 'kitchen' for PR reasons, that's fine with me. Food processing factories are kitchens, just giant industrialised ones.

I am assuming, of course, that the reason they want to put the 'gluten/nut/dairy free' info on the product is to reassure people with high degrees of sensitivity that there's no risk of contamination with the relevent product.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
          ... Hubby and I do get a laugh whenever we see labels like "gluten-free," "dairy-free," or "0g trans fat" on products that would never have those in the first place.

But when you have to point out that applesauce is gluten-free? Seriously? Or honey. I've seen that label on honey before too.
          There is also the point that a lot of processed foods do have non-obvious additives -- these can include using wheat flour or powdered milk as a thickener, or (before the ban) hydrogenated oils for taste and texture. So, it's not always all that obvious.

Comment

I've seen gluten-free water.

Sweetie and I always laugh when we see the big read warning labels on guns. "Operating this could result in injury or death." Um, yeah, why would anyone buy a gun if it didn't have the capacity of doing such a thing?

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
              Sweetie and I always laugh when we see the big read warning labels on guns. "Operating this could result in injury or death." Um, yeah, why would anyone buy a gun if it didn't have the capacity of doing such a thing?
              A lot of people buy replica non-firing guns. I guess they want to have a non-dangerous gun to admire and show off.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
                There is also the point that a lot of processed foods do have non-obvious additives -- these can include using wheat flour or powdered milk as a thickener, or (before the ban) hydrogenated oils for taste and texture. So, it's not always all that obvious.
                Oh, I completely understand that. But when something is supposed to be the all-natural, nothing-but-what-should-be-there product (like this particular applesauce, for instance, or honey, or as Slave said, water), then it's boggling. Especially when it's less in the "making sure sensitives know their trigger ingredient isn't there" and more the "this is so good for you because it's gluten-free!" approach. Then it just feels like unnecessary hype.
                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"

Comment

Last bottle of Acetaminophen (generic Tylenol) I bought had a warning label on it that "This product may contain Acetaminophen".

Gee whiz, I would hope so since that's what the primary label said was in the bottle.

Comment

I think they do it as a selling point, honestly.

I could put up a sign for my quilts that say they're free-range and gluten free :P
                    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                      Something that obvious either means someone sued successfully for not having a warning about nuts on it, or the company has just become so litigation-shy that they're slapping Duh!warnings on everything in sight just to avoid problems.
                      Federal law states that foods that contain peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, eggs, fish, shell fish, soy and wheat (there is a push to add sesame to this list) must have a "contains" statement on their packaging. It gets silly for foods like a bag of peanuts, but it really isn't a good idea to include an 'it obviously contains' exception to this law. Nothing to do with lawsuits and everything to do with following the law.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        A lot of people buy replica non-firing guns. I guess they want to have a non-dangerous gun to admire and show off.
                        I had a friend in the military who liked those things. He made a number of mistakes one particular evening as we were returning from (hell, I can't even remember where):

Mistake the first: Having a very realistic, non-firing replica of a handgun in your possession, STUCK IN YOUR PANTS, as you try to enter a military installation.

Mistake the second: Not notifying the burly MP standing guard that you have such an object on your person when you're stopped.

Mistake the third: having your coat open as you reach for your ID, thus providing the aforementioned burly MP reason to believe you're armed.

Mistake the fourth: Not putting your hands in the air as the burly MP (who now has a very real, very FUNCTIONAL weapon drawn!) instructs.

Mistake the fifth: Actually REACHING for said realistic, non-firing replica of a hangun in a misguided attempt to demonstrate that it's not real. And yes, and continuing to completely disregard the burly, agitated, ARMED MP's repeated warnings to put your hands in the air.

Mistake the sixth: Doing all this standing right next to ME. That's right, chief. You involved ME in this clusterf*ck.

Seriously. This particular sentry (and his partner!) showed remarkable restraint. I knew many others in that particular outfit who would have happily shot the two of us dead, dead, DEAD - without so much as a second warning - and not lost a moment's sleep over it.

and finally, Mistake the seventh: Asking me to 'back you up' when you're written up and have to go in front of the CO for this little display of idiocy. Honestly, you want me to lie to the old man AFTER you damned near got us both killed?

Shortly after my release from military service, I learned that this individual made the transition to commissioned officer.

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post

I could put up a sign for my quilts that say they're free-range and gluten free :P
                          I'd love to see some free-range quilts. bet It looks down right purdy

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
                            Shortly after my release from military service, I learned that this individual made the transition to commissioned officer.
                            Of course he did...

I've had some good officers. And then there are the ones like this, who make us roll our eyes and go "yeah, officers..."

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post

You could go meta and do a wheat field pattern and then call it gluten-free.

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post

Totally off the subject, but everyone needs to click on Kanalah's blog link and look at my free-range and gluten free kitty bookcase runner. It should be here tomorrow. I'm so excited, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning!

I once bought a ceiling fan brush. It was shaped to slide over the blades and dust the top and bottom at once. It came with a warning label "turn fan off before use". Every time I used it, I envisioned someone who hadn't read the label running madly around in circles to try to dust their fan blades.

Comment

Working...
                                X