This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Day Bubbles Went Positively Mad

Sounds like a lovely story, doesn't it? Well, let me set the picturesque scene that is the background of this harrowing tale.

It is Sunday. I have just returned from two blissful, wonderful, and magical days away from my front end fiefdom. My vassals all cheered to see me return, the dreaded sorceress Patrica was nowhere in sight, and I was calm, relaxed, and at ease.

And then one of my vassals called out. I cannot blame the lad, his grandmother had a heart attack. It just meant I had to call someone in.

LO AND BEHOLD! Two people are on vacation, one is at a week-long school orientation, and the sorceress is training all week, and is thus unavailable. So who do I have to turn to in my plight? Two of my vassals. Only two. This makes Bubbles sad, to say the least as that drastically lowers my chances of finding someone to cover.

It is 11 O'clock. The distraught lad's shift begins at 1. Two hours should be enough time for one of them to get back to me, shouldn't it? Alas, 1 O'clock comes and goes until at 1:30, I receive a call from my first hopeful.

The answer is, "Nay, my lord, for I hath spent two days until now aiding in the moving of my daughter, her husband, and their tiny child. I am tired and require rest."

"That is fine," say I, for I am a kind and understanding overlord if nothing else. At least she called back unlike the second, and now last, ray of hope I hold. "Get some rest and I'll see you tomorrow."

The second never called. Never called at all. I rang her cellphone as well as her home phone and received neither an answer nor a call back. Bubbles is now peeved and perplexed as this vassal always calls back, even to say she can't come in. I'll have to inquire today for she is in!

But of course, because we are short on help, every knave in the vast kingdom decides that Sundays are now the best times to shop and swarm the store like Africanized bees. This makes the rest of my night suck verily of the cock.

Oh, but my tale of woe and annoyance is not quite through, my friends. Because we had no one to cover, I was stuck until all the breaks were done. And so I not only had to rush about like a chicken who has just been through the gallows, I had to stay late and deal with all manner of village idiots in the process.
    I have CDO. It's kinda like OCD, but the letters are where they should be!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F...

Nice story. The telling, not the suck.

Truth is, in every retail/fast food job I've held, I learned not to call back. Why? Because I'd get the inevitable guilt trip and made to feel as if I were lower than low and worse than the idiot who called in with a hangover.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Ah, but see, we genuinely understand that our cashiers don't really want to come in on their days off. So we'll ask, and if we receive a negative answer, we just say, "Alright, thanks for calling back," and leave it at that.

It pisses us off more when we don't get the calls back. Mostly because we're waiting with baited breath, and even those of us who aren't religious suddenly start praying, that everyone else will at least call back and maybe, just maaaaybe, we'll be fortunate enough to get someone willing to come in.

And if anyone had at any point called in because they had a hangover, we would be on their ass like flies on week-old meat. If the FE manager were there, they'd get a verbal warning over the phone on the spot just before they're told they'd better find a way to get their ass better pretty damn quick because we aren't going to pull someone from their day of rest because they can't learn how to not get drunk when they have an early shift.
      Last edited by MelodiousBubbles; 08-04-2009, 03:29 PM.
      I have CDO. It's kinda like OCD, but the letters are where they should be!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F...

Comment

Working...
      X