X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    Granted, I'd run back to FFXI in a heartbeat if it ever went free ^_^
    Damn I would be sprinting!
    Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

I liked the exploration in FFXI, but the forced grouping and outrageously obtuse boss battles are non-starters for me.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

BF says GW2 is what FFXI should have been.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
          BF says GW2 is what FFXI should have been.
          Does he mean FFXIV? The "reboot" of FFXI? Because during Final Fantasy XI's prime, it was one of the favored MMOs out there for people who actually enjoyed the challenge of grouping together and working together.
          My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
          It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

For some reason forum runner has been dropping my quotes. I had been talking about GW2.

I loved FFXI. So miss my Mithra.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
              For some reason forum runner has been dropping my quotes. I had been talking about GW2.
              Ahh! Yes, GW2 is a computer game. It's $60-ish for the game, then free to play after with a cash shop.

You're welcome to join over on my server (Isles of Janthir) too, if you'd like. No pressure.

<_<

One of us.... one of us.... one of us....
              It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I second/third or whatever the sentiment of FFXI going free to play. I really loved that game at all levels because there was a challenging thing to do or exploring to be done at any level. I will forever remember the long haul questing I did with my pals to unlock the advanced jobs.

Comment

I actually enjoyed the grouping in FFXI -- sometimes I wanna solo, but most of the time I prefer groups, it's not so boring.

Then again, I played a Bard -- I didn't look for parties...Parties asked for ME ^_^ (my record was getting an invite request about 3 seconds after logging on -- the interior of my house hadn't even loaded up completely!). I also got plenty of JP parties. I could only follow a bit of their conversations (I speak SOME Japanese but not much), but most of those groups were amazing. Often, but not always, second only to Manaburn/Monkburn (Bones) parties.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post

Then again, I played a Bard -- I didn't look for parties...Parties asked for ME ^_^ (my record was getting an invite request about 3 seconds after logging on -- the interior of my house hadn't even loaded up completely!).
                    Haha. I was DNC/NIN. My bf was a RDM/NIN. We could duo a vast majority of things in the game. (He could solo Ash Dragon when he was bored, having me there made it pretty much impossible for us to lose.)

His favorite story to tell is that he was in a JP party and at the end one of them said to him "Not bad for a round eye." It cracks the both of us up whenever we think about it.

Comment

I played a WHM/SMN, BLM/WHM, WHM/SCH, and the occasional SMN/RDM. As an Elvann I still can't believe how much the addition of the Scholar job really changed my end game play as our main raid boss healer in my LS.

Still, the end game will never compare to two times I will just never forget.

We had one player in our LS that was a Mithra named SarahPolley after the actress. We called him SP for short. When doing the quest to unlock the summoner job there were 4 of us in a party all at level 30. At the time SP was one of our only level 75 players in the LS. We had been trying to farm carbuncle rubies for all 4 of us for close to three hours with no drops. SP gets on offers to come help. When he got close enough for an invite to the party we invite him and before he even makes it the next 4 kills dropped 4 Carbuncle rubies in a row. We had a great laugh and from then on called SP the LS good luck charm.

The other is a much shorter story. I ran with a static party for a good long time. We had a Paladin, Samurai, Dragoon, Red Mage, Black Mage and myself as White Mage. At the time we hadn't really discovered how fast it was possible to level with a well oiled party, so we had a really slow grind up through the levels. Somewhere along the line our experience count had equalized to the point that all of us hit 60 at exactly the same time. I will never forget seeing 6 simultaneous level up messages ever.

Comment

My favorite was when I was playing my rdm/whm oh how did I love her. We were helping a new player who had bought her character from her brother learn how to play. Having this AWESOME whm in the group who easily kept us at full health. At one point we agreed to a bathroom/drink break and as we were all coming back to the keyboards out whm still wasn't back. Finally another five minuets and she comes back, "Sorry the grandson wanted my cake recipe for my great granddaughters birthday." Turns out this awesome whm we had who was ultimate in pwnage...80 years young.

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                          There actually are rookie systems and can flipping them or getting them to agress you so you can kill them is actually bannable. (Said sytems are Starter Systems (12 in total), Career Agent systems (12 in total) and the Sisters of Eve Arc system)
                          WHat is this pansy can flipping shit? Never flipped a can in my EVE life. I suicide gank if I am in hi sec unless it is a legit war target.
                          Quoth EricKei View Post
                          For free MMO's that I've tried for more than a month or two...? I've played Aion (got bored, but it was damn pretty and flying around is fun)
                          I beta tested Aion when it was still Korean in 2007 and 08, and have been meaning to go back and play it in US release. Hopefully they ironed out all the bugs

But flying is a lot of fun. The intro quest when you hit um... 10 or 20, can't remember as it has been 4 years since I last logged in was mostly well done though the 60 sec flight timer was problematical.

I went back and played Everquest 1, they gave me 3 free months trying to lure me back, and get some opinions on the changes. I really found the changes disconcerting. When you do something so *drastic* to the game and then invite people back it really screws with perceptions. [they blew up the world, and majorly changed game aspects. One of the good human start cities, Freeport got pretty much an entire map change. Major portions of the original game are totally gone. It is pretty much an entirely different game now.]
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

AD - I last played Aion in Spring of this year. Still buggy as all hell, and NCSoft was still living up to its reputation of pretty much ignoring anything the US fanbase had to say. Sad, as it has a lot of potential. As for the flight timers -- you just gotta upgrade your wings as you go along, and grab/craft potions that increase your flight time & chug them as needed. There are also ways to move faster in the Abyss, the one (massive) area where flight is actually required to get around the zone, rather than just "something cool to do" or a shortcut.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              AD - I last played Aion in Spring of this year. Still buggy as all hell, and NCSoft was still living up to its reputation of pretty much ignoring anything the US fanbase had to say.
                              Crafting, atrocious. Not able to gather any materials from monsters once you hit a certain level because ten levels past the monster's level you got NO DROPS (except maybe quest ones if you had the quest to do it.) With all the freaking fluxes you needed it was impossible to make yourself anything, coupled with the "Oh, if you don't crit you get complete and utter crap" and then tri-oupled with "Oh, and by the way, in order to make the good stuff, you need to crit on your basic mats recipes."

Deity, I hated that crafting system with a passion. It's so nice that TERA, which had the same exact crafting system as Aion in Korea, took it for the US/EU release and--- did absolutely NOTHING to it, despite it being pretty much one of the Top 5 things that people complained about in Aion and told TERA devs about. *ugh*

Comment

I'm ... going to say I'll never play GW2 or Aion, because NCSoft is in the process of "sunsetting" City of Heroes. ;_; Great game, big audience, still profitable after eight freaking years, and they trash it so they can focus on games that attract their Korean audience. I sort of don't trust them to not pull the rug out from under me, you know?

I'm getting into WoW. I love being a goblin.

Comment

Working...
                                X