This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is no street here!

Driving an idiot to a new (to him) workplace last night. The workplace was the local distribution center for Orange Apron Hardware. I've been to this place before, but the idiot insisted I was taking him to the wrong "front" entrance. Too bad there are only two entrances: the main employee entrance (which he insisted was NOT the front) and the truck entrance, which was definitely wrong (not to mentioned the fact that it's accessed from a different street).

him: My boss says we turn down this street.
    me: There's no street here.
    him: The map he sent says it's down this street.
    me: The map is wrong. That street doesn't exist.
    him: It says we turn here and follow the road around.
    me: That's an apartment complex. It doesn't go through. Look up from your phone man, there is no street here!
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

One of the mapping systems, MapQuest?, used to send cars to some stairs that it thought were the road... They were the connection between two sections of road, but they were NOT ROAD.

Comment

Quoth Minflick View Post
      One of the mapping systems, MapQuest?, used to send cars to some stairs that it thought were the road... They were the connection between two sections of road, but they were NOT ROAD.
      MapQuest's the one where I'd constantly joke that it'd send you halfway across the country when all you wanted was directions to the nearest grocery store. Thing is, I had a few incidents where that wasn't far from the truth.
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Google Maps near my workplace shows a street extending into a Burger King parking lot to connect to the other side (there is no thru-traffic, the lot is fenced off). I've submitted corrections about it before; but it keeps coming back.

A GPS system of my friend in another city tells people to go down the wrong street to access a bridge. It seems to think there is an onramp at the spot that is actually the "scenic route" street going UNDER the bridge and you have to backup several blocks to get to that bridge.
        Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Quoth MrSmiley View Post
          Google Maps near my workplace shows a street extending into a Burger King parking lot to connect to the other side (there is no thru-traffic, the lot is fenced off). I've submitted corrections about it before; but it keeps coming back.

A GPS system of my friend in another city tells people to go down the wrong street to access a bridge. It seems to think there is an onramp at the spot that is actually the "scenic route" street going UNDER the bridge and you have to backup several blocks to get to that bridge.
          A place I used to work had an address of 245 Langston Rd (NOT the actual address), the problem was, in the same area, albeit 25 minutes in the OTHER direction, you could find 245 Langsdon Rd.

Boy did we have some pissed off customers when their GPS auto routed them to the wrong one!
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Years ago (and I mean YEARS ago I looked up OLD aerial photos to confirm this) the street I live one started at my block and ran west till it dead-ended about 2 miles away. sometime in the latter part of the 20th century the HS across the street from me took over a block section of that street right down the block from me for the campus. They blocked it off with gates that for the most part stay closed and locked and one side is a small parking lot.

Every now and then when I have to take a cab from my mechanics shop to my house the cabs GPS system INSISTS that the street is indeed one continuous road and the cab driver will almost try and take that route. I have told them just to go to the next street down (that dead ends into my street) and turn left there.

Funny thing about another area in my delivery area. It is the only gated community in our area. Every time we get an order the customer gives an incorrect address because he wants the delivery driver to call him. This is because the area has NOT been Google Street Mapped (gated community) NOR does it seem it has been mapped by any GPS system. SO If a delivery driver is using pure GPS they can not find the address.

The ONLY reason I know where all the house addresses are in this community is that I watched it being built 10 years ago (delivered quite a few lunch orders to the construction workers).
            Last edited by Racket_Man; 12-14-2015, 05:10 AM.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Google maps still doesn't recognize some of the streets in my neck of the woods...some of which have been open for 6 years or longer.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Yesterday I used the mapping system on my phone in order to pick up a kid from her friends house. It INSISTED that I take a right, and drive straight through. too bad it was a cul de sac and the address was on the other side of it.

Comment

My Garmin GPs (or at least the maps for it) have some quirks.

One time it told me to follow one sidestreet. Except it only went halfway thru the block. Dead end-ended into some trees and bushes. And beyond them was a 10 foot drop into someone's backyard.

Even worse is when you tell it you are on a bicycle. Not only does it not have a clue about all the bike paths in the area (including a pedestrian & bike *only* bridge about a hundred yards from the I-205 bridge over the Clackamas, which means it tries to route you over one of the other two bridges, resulting in a 6 mile detour) but I once had it try to route me along part of I-84!

Yeah, that was the only road that went past where I wanted to go, but bikes aren't allowed on it.

If you are going to include an option for "bicycle" in the route selection, then you should damn well pay attention to both the places bikes *aren't* allowed, but also to the places bikes *are* allowed, but cars aren't.

Comment

Many years ago, there was a screenshot floating around the internet in which the MapQuest (?, I think) route between two addresses in the UK . . .

included parts of Norway.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                      Many years ago, there was a screenshot floating around the internet in which the MapQuest (?, I think) route between two addresses in the UK . . .

To be fair, the ferry running between the UK and Scandinavia they showed on Top Gear looked epic, and well worth the trip!
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

My dad lives in a rural area. Their house is physically in town A, but their mailing zip code is town B. At the border between A and B, the street numbers start over. All of these work together to confuse the hell out of map programs. If I put his address into Apple maps, it gives me a random piece of forest, 5 or 6 miles down the road. If I put a pin on his actual house, it can't tell what the address should be.
                        Random Doctor Who quote:
                        "I'm sorry about your coccyx, too, Miss Grant."

I has a gallery: deviantART gallery.
                        I also has a "funny" blog: Aqu Improves Her Craft

Comment

I've had a GPS try to route me up a cliff...

Comment

The post office once decided that the driveway for my grandparents' house counted as a street, so that street name is part of the mailing address. Some map programs and GPS units ignore that alleged street and route drivers to the closest segment of the actual street with that name. And even if the location is found properly, the directions might have a flaw, such as sending drivers to the major street nearby (which is admittedly a little closer than the street the driveway connects to).

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post

That's a hell of a detour
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X