This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dish room rants (caution: whiny)

I work for six hours a week making salads (thus my job title) but 3 of it is spent working in the dish room. Albeit I only work three hours, but it's from 6-9, which is closing.

My job is to take the dishes out of the dishwasher, and put them on shelves so someone else can put them where they belong. Imagine playing Tetris at ninety miles an hour, with extremely hot, odd shaped blocks. Except the cheeky little lines don't disappear when you fill one, they go whenever they damn well please, which is about every twenty minutes.

On top of this, there is a guy on the other side of the washer, loading the dishes that does not have patience to let the damn dish washer do it's own job.

He shoves the trays as hard as he cans, which not only means a good third of the dishes aren't totally cleaned, it means I get to toss them back to him, but it means my hand gets pinched between effing hot pots and pans, because metal is cruel and sustains the heat.

I am a wuss, I admit this. The damned metal and glass things that go through the washer effing hurt!

Also, we keep the cups in a giant tray that's individually holds the cups, kinda like those old fashioned milk cartons, but bigger. I hate these! I have to take each cup out individually, which only takes a minute or two, but when Signor-shoves-a-lot is on the other side, I don't have that time.

Also, when the buckets I put the dishes in go away, with no sign of return anytime soon, I get a bit bitchy. I have three trays of cups, and no place to put them! Dish-Return Guuuuuuuy! leave me an extra traaaay!

During close, one of my jobs is to take the rubber mats which are on the floor, and take them out of the washer. (Why we clean them through there, I have no idea.) There's one problem with that. I'm 115Lbs (52Kg), the mats are around sixty dry, god knows how much wet. I can't lift 'em dry! the full time staff glare at me when I tell them I can't do it...

That's all for now, I'm sure more will pop up when I feel sore and angry...
    "Did you at least ascertain the nature of his curse so that I may know the monstrosity that I face? ... A GIRL? He was... Turned into a girl? WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?" -EGS http://egscomics.com

Can they give you rubber gloves? They get hot and sweaty, but it's better to burning yourself and it should insulate your hands from the pinchage somewhat.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

ditto on the rubber gloves - I have to do that when I have dish duty when volunteering at the Legion kitchen - my hands are super sensitive and anything hot hurts like hell. I wish I was like my Mom - she can literally leave her hands under running hot water and not even flinch.
      The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

How much does "Signor-shoves-a-lot" earn in time by showing the trays in his fashion compared to normal, cautious way? 20 nanoseconds per shift? Which are easily eaten up by having to re-wash due to his stupidity?

And what about not taking out from dishwasher b4 you're finished with previous tray?

Comment

I feel your pain. My Girl Scout troop used to volunteer at day camps as dishwashers to get in for free (we realized paying to go to the camp when all we did was skip all the activities and TP the other cabins wasn't economical). I always had the same position you had. You have to move so fast and everything is so hot. I decided I could never do it as a daily job. You have my sympathies.
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I'm required to wear the latex gloves, and as far as I can tell, nothing else.

As for the trays, I can have about six lined up before there is no space for anything else, which is normally when he starts shoving, mainly because he didn't realize the machine wasn't catching the trays and put a half dozen in at once...
            "Did you at least ascertain the nature of his curse so that I may know the monstrosity that I face? ... A GIRL? He was... Turned into a girl? WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?" -EGS http://egscomics.com

Comment

I use these when I have to handwash at home:

http://magla.com/mrclean/ProductType...Group=C%5F1135

They don't seem to conduct heat as easily as latex gloves do, and they lasted longer. They're worth the small investment.

If your hands are getting burned or injured, your employer needs to supply better gloves for you. Also, expecting someone your size to lift those heavy rugs is ridiculous.
              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
              HR believes the first person in the door
              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
              Document everything
              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
              X