This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Declining a job offer

I start at the diner in 4 weeks. & I was supposed to start working at Hardess on the 22nd of July. So should I call Hardees & let them know I've found a better paying job & won't be working there?
    Anybody ever been in this situation before?

Yeah, just call Hardee's and tell them just that. They should be understanding. Be sure to thank them, since they did offer you the job, and just explain exactly what you just posted.

I got my friend a job at the motel, and she was offered a better-paying job the day after training. She did work one day after training, since we were short-staffed. No one held it against her.

A few times, Hubs has had to decline offers when he gets multiple ones whilst job hunting. These things happen. Employers are used to it.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

And an important factor is, if you (hopefully never) ever have to apply there again, you haven't left them shorthanded without notice. Never burn a bridge unless you are sure you'll never need to cross it.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
        I start at the diner in 4 weeks. & I was supposed to start working at Hardess on the 22nd of July. So should I call Hardees & let them know I've found a better paying job & won't be working there?
        Anybody ever been in this situation before?
        Sort of. I had two job interviews scheduled with two hospitals. One offered me the job I really wanted at the end of the interview. The other interview hadn't happened yet.

I called to tell the recruiter that I had been offered another position and had decided to take it.

She was definitely put out. When I got laid off 5 1/2 weeks later, when the heart program shut down critical care at the first hospital, I reapplied for open positions at the other hospital.

They wouldn't even return my calls.

I definitely would call asap and let them know you have to decline the position. Be polite and regretful about it.

Whether or not it will hurt you in the long run will depend on how competitive the job environment is. Most HR's will be understanding. Just bear in mind, you might get one that isn't.

But it's better than just not showing up.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Being pre-emptive and communicating with Hardees, letting them know that you've found employment elsewhere, is the right move to make on a professional level.

Who knows, maybe Hardees will give you a counter offer to work for them?

If the Hardees employer gives you any grief over it, don't feel ashamed.

Tell them, "(Ma'am/Sir,) I'm just being professional and courteous giving you at least 10 days notice so you have time to hire and train someone else."

That should shut them up and they should accept it. Sometimes you'll get a few employers that'll be unprofessional and keep trying to pressure you into changing your decision.

If not, tell them "I could have acted unprofessionally by No Call-No Showing, which would have left you with no time to find a replacement."

And if by the 1% chance they keep being unprofessional and rude to you, end your conversation with, "Well, I did my part as a professional. You're a busy (woman/man) and need time finding a new employee. I won't disturb you any further. Have a nice day."

At that point, you're done saying anything further. They've acted unprofessional and there is no need to even let them speak further on it. Just hang up the phone.

Of course if things go this unprofessional, you may also want to avoid going to this Hardees as a customer too. They're not worthy of your professionalism and certainly not worthy of your hard earned dollars.

I hope this helps!
          Last edited by Blade_Raver; 07-12-2011, 06:39 AM.
          Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Definitely call Hardees and let them know you already accepted another job offer.
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I agree with the above. Call Hardees and let them know. Keep them bridges intact.

Comment

Working...
              X