This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh The Drama.

So I went to a cosmetology school Tuesday to get a mani/pedi done because it was Best Friend's birthday and she was frothing at the mouth for a week in order for me to go with her. The manicurist was a student (funnily enough), and she wasn't that great-pushed my cuticles back too hard so they bled, did a piss poor job with applying the polish and made it look amateurish. The polish I can forgive, the cuticles, not so much because I'm worried about fungal infection underneath and it is a BITCH to get rid of. I should know-the one on my finger's been there for years.

The drama in this thread comes from the loud confrontation that the director and 3 students had near the mani/pedi section done. Three 20 something girls whining like toddlers because "Whine cry you guys play favorites, why doesn't Marsha ever get to go have smoke breaks with us and it's unfaiiiiiiiiiiiiiir that none of us ever get to do services and you guys are so striiiiiiiiiiiiiict I don't want to style my hair and apply makeup every daaaaaaay even if we don't have services it's unfaiiiiiiiiir".

"You guys want to see strict? Ok. I can make it strict for you. When I taught at Cosmopolitan Big Yuppie School, the students were required to have their hair and makeup done every day or else they were let go. You are paying $17,000 a year to come here and not waste it; I would suggest you follow MY rules. As for the smoke breaks, you guys are not allowed to take them together because 5 minutes turns into 30+. And we play favorites because none of you guys ever do your work on time and can't do services, it's posted right there on the wall. Do your homework and you get one service a week."

I could have kissed the director for being such a no nonsense woman. The three girls were very quiet after that, except for when they loudly called Director a bitch and still went about muttering how unfair it was.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Buy that woman a cookie! That was awesome.

Comment

Go director lady!

FWIW, hubs and I love our local cosmetology school. Sometimes, he gets a student just starting out and the hair cut looks bad, but the instructors always do a check and fix. Frankly, he's gotten better haircuts from the students than he has at chain salons. And I have no problem being practiced on. Everyone needs to learn and I was a student once too. Besides, it's hair; if I hate it, it'll grow.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

a box of chocolate strawberries for her and her stern foot; if they didn't actually want an education, why are they even there? (i know...)
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
          Go director lady!

FWIW, hubs and I love our local cosmetology school. Sometimes, he gets a student just starting out and the hair cut looks bad, but the instructors always do a check and fix. Frankly, he's gotten better haircuts from the students than he has at chain salons. And I have no problem being practiced on. Everyone needs to learn and I was a student once too. Besides, it's hair; if I hate it, it'll grow.
          I, on the other hand, am rather leery of schools. But then, in the town I went to college in, there was a hair school. A friend of mine went there and requested a specific haircut, with example pictures and everything. The student cutting her hair completely ignored her and "experimented," leaving her with something hideous and nowhere near what she'd wanted.
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
            I, on the other hand, am rather leery of schools. But then, in the town I went to college in, there was a hair school. A friend of mine went there and requested a specific haircut, with example pictures and everything. The student cutting her hair completely ignored her and "experimented," leaving her with something hideous and nowhere near what she'd wanted.
            Oh, I think I had that student, after they graduated. I don't understand what about "the hair needs to be UP" is so hard to not follow, but people were telling me that I wasn't doing a good enough job on my hair and should get it done by a professional for the wedding. Even with minimal instructions she couldn't follow them. (And had no clue about what was appropriate for a wedding - a hairstyle that takes 20 minutes to take down is not something to give a bride). I don't know if she just didn't know how to deal with "long" hair (it wasn't very long, it's just barely waist-length now), or if she wanted to play with it, because I actually take care of my hair. (No colour, no serum, no heat).

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
              The polish I can forgive, the cuticles, not so much because I'm worried about fungal infection underneath and it is a BITCH to get rid of. I should know-the one on my finger's been there for years.
              Have you tried vinegar? Not sure how that would work in that situation, but it's great for dealing with fungals.
              Quoth Magpie View Post
              Even with minimal instructions she couldn't follow them. (And had no clue about what was appropriate for a wedding - a hairstyle that takes 20 minutes to take down is not something to give a bride).
              My mom did my hair for my wedding. I doubt she took more than 20 minutes to put it up, and it certainly didn't take that long to take down.

I have waist-length hair (and have forever) without bangs, and yet she was able to work with it and make it look like the wig Sean Young wears as Rachael in Blade Runner. And she did that with only a brush, comb, dim still image from the movie, and a can of hair spray.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                My mom did my hair for my wedding. I doubt she took more than 20 minutes to put it up, and it certainly didn't take that long to take down.
                After doing the trial run I managed to get approval to do my own hair. Yes, I do a bad job on my hair, but at least when I do it, it doesn't look like something of a red carpet magazine. (I know, it doesn't take a lot to look better than that, but I'm stating a fact, not bragging). It might have taken me 45 minutes (compare to over 2 hours), but that includes spraying it with hairspray, and the fact that I had to brush it all the time, because the style required me to keep turning my head. Taking it down was a lot faster, even with me actually bothering to undo the braid. (It was a crown braid).

Comment

Working...
                X