This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workplace drama

There is a fairly new male employee at work who flirts with any female employee regardless of 1) her age and 2) her relationship status. Single and not in a relationship, single and in a relationship, engaged or married... he will flirt with you. This includes me, and I am married. My husband is aware of his behavior. He also works there, and he has made him aware of the fact that he does not appreciate that behavior around me.

He is 52 years old.

There are two 19 year old female employees whom he flirts with. He calls them 1) babe, 2) baby girl or 3) baby.

When one of these female employees announced that her 19th birthday was this week, he called her a PYT. Then when she did not know what that meant, he told her that she is a pretty young thing.

The 3 of them plus 2 more employees *one male and one female* decided to call each other at work by pet names... babe, baby girl, baby and so on. All 5 of them hang out as a group.

He has been told by the Senior Supervisor's *who is over everyone at work* assistant to stop his behavior because according to company policy, it is considered sexual harassment, but he continued doing it. The reason why I know this is because she let me know this since I am married and my husband has made his feelings known to him about his behavior. My husband and I talk to her at work. She is also married.

My husband has been on vacation this week.

Earlier this week I caught him flirting with a female employee, and so I told him that he is a flirt. This happened in the office where everyone clocks in and out at. He told me 1) he cannot help himself when it comes to his flirting at work, 2) his flirting is a part of him, 3) he is not serious about his intentions and 4) the female whom he flirts with should know about his intentions.

He then called me baby. So I showed him my wedding ring and told him 1) I am married and 2) he cannot call me baby.

I mentioned to the Senior Supervisor's assistant what happened. The two of us were in the break room when I spoke to her along with one of the female employees who is part of the group of employees who hang out as a group.

The following morning at work that group was complaining about the fact that he had been reported to the Senior Supervisor regarding his flirty behavior. The Senior Supervisor assistant's name was brought up in the conversation by him. He then saw me and told me in a pissy tone of voice that 1) he will not call me pet names anymore, 2) he was reported to the Senior Supervisor regarding his flirty behavior, 3) I must have told the Senior Supervisor's assistant to report his behavior and then he called me baby again. I gave him a look of do not call me baby again. I told him that 1) I did not tell the Senior Supervisor's assistant what to do and 2) it was her choice to report it.

I get a call from her later that morning on my work cell phone asking me what happened because according to her the entire group came to the office where she works at *the one where everyone clocks in and out at* demanding to know why she reported him to the Senior Supervisor. I let her know what happened. Turns out she did not report him. Someone else did, but we do not know who.

I let my husband know what happened. He said to leave the guy alone for a couple of days. He will do the same when he returns to work on Monday.
    Last edited by snugglegirl05; 10-10-2014, 10:17 PM.

The only baby in this story is the one crying that everyone found out what a jerk he is.

Comment

3) I must have told the Senior Supervisor's assistant to report his behavior
      Aaaaaand...? Even if you had done that (obviously, you didn't), it was 100% justified and inevitable. He knows not to flirt, but he does it anyway.
      and then he called me baby again
      Well, there's always "My name's not 'Baby' - It's Janet. Ms Jackson if you nastay..." -- just modify that based on your own name to suit ^_^
      4) the female whom he flirts with should know about his intentions.
      Wait, what?!

Er, no. That is the bullshit line he's telling himself in order to justify his misbehavior to himself. He's just using that as his excuse to keep on doing something which he knows is inappropriate, has been TOLD in no uncertain terms is inappropriate, and which he has been told to knock the [EFF!] off. I'm surprised the higher-ups haven't canned him by now just for liability reasons, or at least done a formal write-up.

His group of buddies like it? Fine; he needs to confine it to that group. Every other female in the store hates it? He needs to act professionally and keep his trap shut.
      Last edited by EricKei; 10-10-2014, 06:41 PM.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post
        The only baby in this story is the one crying that everyone found out what a jerk he is.
        Absolutely agreed. I used to work for a guy like this once upon a time. I left due to his bullshit, but another coworker took him to court for it. He promptly skipped the country.

Comment

He and his posse better be careful, they can and will get in trouble for any type of retaliation.

And....ew. Hearing someone call me baby would already make me uncomfortable, but from someone old enough to be my dad?

When you do interact with him, keep it professional. And if he acts defensive and pouty, don't react. And if he acts flirty and calls you pet names, tell him to stop it and that you've made it clear you don't like it.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
            He and his posse better be careful, they can and will get in trouble for any type of retaliation.

And....ew. Hearing someone call me baby would already make me uncomfortable, but from someone old enough to be my dad?

When you do interact with him, keep it professional. And if he acts defensive and pouty, don't react. And if he acts flirty and calls you pet names, tell him to stop it and that you've made it clear you don't like it.
            I agree

I was not at work this Friday because I was already approved for a paid vacation day for today.

My husband and I will see what happens at work this Monday.

Comment

This is called sexual harrassment and presumably your company has a policy against it. Speak to HR and insist that they inform him of said policy NOW, before someone (you?) decides to make an issue of it at the top of the food chain.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

from what I was told He and his posse of coworkers had to watch an online video on our company's sexual harassment policy

Comment

Hypothetical situation: If a flamboyantly (as in fitting the stereotype) gay male co-worker were to act around this guy the same way he's acting around female co-workers, by how much would he break the Olympic record for the 100 metre sprint in running to HR to complain about sexual harassment?

Maybe by "putting the shoe on the other foot" you'd be able to get across to him that, even though he thinks it's all in fun, it's a BAD IDEA in the workplace.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Hypothetical situation: If a flamboyantly (as in fitting the stereotype) gay male co-worker were to act around this guy the same way he's acting around female co-workers, by how much would he break the Olympic record for the 100 metre sprint in running to HR to complain about sexual harassment?

Maybe by "putting the shoe on the other foot" you'd be able to get across to him that, even though he thinks it's all in fun, it's a BAD IDEA in the workplace.
                    Good idea

I wonder how he would react

Comment

Let me start off by saying I hate being called "baby" or "babe" by anybody, including romantic partners. Even if somebody was trying to flirt with me in an appropriate environment, that word would be a huge turn off. My bf hates being called "dear". It's a habit of mine to use the word. You bet your ass the second he asked me not to use that word I stopped using it. Well, I've slipped once or twice and changed what I was saying mid-word. That's just simple respect.

This guy is a douchebag beyond the inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace. He just doesn't give a fuck about anybody else. Too bad they haven't fired him yet.
                      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                        Let me start off by saying I hate being called "baby" or "babe" by anybody, including romantic partners. Even if somebody was trying to flirt with me in an appropriate environment, that word would be a huge turn off. My bf hates being called "dear". It's a habit of mine to use the word. You bet your ass the second he asked me not to use that word I stopped using it. Well, I've slipped once or twice and changed what I was saying mid-word. That's just simple respect.

This guy is a douchebag beyond the inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace. He just doesn't give a fuck about anybody else. Too bad they haven't fired him yet.
                        I'm waiting for his behavior to catch up to him because if He continues He will be fired!

Comment

Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
                          Good idea

I wonder how he would react
                          No, no, no! Not good idea! Not really! I mean, funny to fantasize about, but not funny to actually DO. It'll just escalate the situation.

Just let the guy hang himself. Eventually, he will.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                            No, no, no! Not good idea! Not really! I mean, funny to fantasize about, but not funny to actually DO. It'll just escalate the situation.

Just let the guy hang himself. Eventually, he will.
                            OK

This is not the first time I have been sexually harassed by an older guy at work. The other guy flirted as well.

I just want him to stop.

He has a big ego, which is irritating.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                              What I meant about "putting the shoe on the other foot" wasn't to have the same-sex harassment actually happen, but to use it as an analogy in a "come to $diety" talk with HR. If there's any chance of salvaging him, he'd understand from the analogy that what one person considers harmless flirting can be seen as extremely uncomfortable by another.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X