This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh! Stupid Drivers!

Disclaimer: My boyfriend is a trucker, so I'm not ranting about all drivers, just the jerks I encountered today.

Background: I've mentioned before that I run on the streets around my house. I've also mentioned that one of those streets is a major N/S artery for truckers moving produce/plants out of this area. It's preferred by many because there are not expressways this far south that aren't tolled, and to get to the southernmost non-toll interstate would involve driving on a road that has absolutely hideous traffic, which is not fun for a trucker. I'm surrounded by commercial farms and plant nurseries, and there is an enormous amount of product moving out of the area, and as such, a whole lot of trucks. /end background.

So, last night I got into a huge fight with the boyfriend. Today I decided to run off my anger. It's hot, so I wore just my running bra and shorts. My running bra is the kind that many runners wear instead of a shirt. So, there I am, running down the short portion of my route that takes me on the road described above. No less that 50 truckers decided to pull their horns and shout out dirty comments. REALLY? Please concentrate on driving. You're not impressing me. Besides, I have my own trucker, and I'm quite happy with him (well, maybe). Now, there were a few other drivers, not driving semis that decided to shout rude things, so it's not just truckers.

Can some male person please explain to me why men think that women like these sorts of comments? Really, it just makes me want to throw something sharp and pointy at them.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

"She's dressin' like a hoor! That means she must LIKE it!"

And some men are just pigs.

...oink oink...
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
      It's hot, so I wore just my running bra and shorts. My running bra is the kind that many runners wear instead of a shirt.
      Even though it's hot out, might I suggest that you'd be more comfortable (especially your feet) if you added socks and sneakers to your wardrobe?
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I really wonder if they think that will get them the girl? I mean really has anyone started the story of how they met their sweetie with "he just yelled the most vulgar things he could think of out his car window and I knew he was the man for me!" I've never heard that said.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          Even though it's hot out, might I suggest that you'd be more comfortable (especially your feet) if you added socks and sneakers to your wardrobe?
          Bwahahahahaha! Yeah, I do add socks and running shoes (hot pink, mind you) to my running wardrobe.

And Aislin, yeah, I'd like to hear the one story where that worked. I don't think it exists.
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

This is not about trying to pick you up. It is Alpha Male mentality. The know that they do not have a snowballs chance is hell of ever being with a woman half as good as you. So, they are going to put you in your place and make sure that you know that you are nothing more than a sexual object.

There are however, two appropriate responses you can give:
            1. Hold up your hand. Stick out your thumb and index finger. Hold them as close together as you can without touching.
            2. Wave your little finger at them.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

cos some men like to let you know they appreciate the view
              even if you don't appreciate the attention

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                not about trying to pick you up ....they do not have a snowballs chance is hell of ever being with a woman ....to put you in your place and make sure that you know that you are nothing more than a sexual object.
                Took me a long time to figure that out. I used to think "When has that EVER worked?" but eventually came to the realization that there are those (not confined to one sex btw) with so little imagination, but so much frustration, that demeaning the object of that frustration was the only course they saw. Ignoring them completely is probably the best route - any sort of reaction, especially a negative one, only confirms their intent to downgrade you.

Quoth csquared View Post
                It is Alpha Male mentality.
                Well, not really. They rarely need to prove anything to either sex. It's the Betas who clamour for attention.

And mathnerd, I know they are few and far between, but occasionally a horn toot (minus any vulgarities) could just mean - "Wow! You just made my day being all active and sweaty and scantily clad over there, thanks!" Maybe not the most well thought out compliment, but...

(Hope things settle out w/ BF.)

Comment

sms, I occasionally get the horn toot along with a "way to go!" or "good job" or "keep it up!" I actually don't mind those. It's the vulgar comments that bother me. I generally do ignore them, but man, do they have to be such jerks?

(and, I dumped him. well, sort of, it's complicated and ugly)

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                    Well, not really. They rarely need to prove anything to either sex. It's the Betas who clamour for attention.
                    I did not say it was the Alpha. I said it was the Alpha mentality. You are 100% correct. It is the Beta that has to prove themselves. Unfortunately, the only thing they usually prove is that they are not the Alpha.

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                    it's complicated and ugly
                    Life tends to be that way. May it work out for the best... Whatever that means.
                    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                    Save the Ales!
                    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Most people don't stay long enough for what happened to me to work.

Man: You are some fiiiiine lookin' ladies.
                      Me: Wow. You're one ugly fuckin' man.

Aaaand we're done here.

Usually they aren't driving slow enough to hear me but that guy did and he's probably mortified every time he sees me now. (I'm assuming he lives in the same town I do.) I'm 22, he was probably around 50-something.

Comment

Working...
                      X