This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asian sterotypes?

I have some stories that are old but wanted to share anyway. I am an Asian American born and raised in the U.S. but I have a number of people assuming things about me because of my background.

I made a thread about the man who went on a profanity laced rant weeks ago but this one is not as crazy. Mainly just ignorant and sort of hilarious how bad they can be! It's probably better to post them all in one post? Not many people may have saw my first post so I'll quickly mention that I work at a small mom and pop dry cleaner. Nice family. All Korean-Americans as well.

We had a guy come in to pick up his suit few months ago. He hands me his release ticket and I type in the number on the computer and it shows where it's located on this machine (where clothes are hanged on hangers) and brings the clothes out front. I'm standing in front of the machine waiting for his clothes to come up.

Customer: Boy...you Chinese sure are crafty!
    Me: I'm not Chinese, sir.
    Customer: Oh? Where did you move from then?
    Me: I moved from Queens. I'm Korean if that's what you're asking.
    Customer: Ohhh..I hope you didn't come here from North Korea! Har Har!
    Me: No. Queens. New York City. I don't think it's common to find many North Koreans here in the States.
    Customer: "don't think it's common to find many North Koreans here in the States" I hear that!

After receiving his payment, I give him his change.

Customer: I'll SEE you again next time I go to a wedding!
    Me: Wedding?
    Customer: I only wear suits when I go to weddings you see. You know how it is. I got one in an hour. That reminds me! Where is the nearest Dollar store?
    Me: Dollar store? There's o-
    Customer: Yup! I need to get the bride and the guy their wedding present!
    Me: There's one across the street. Another one on so-and-so street.
    Customer: Everything is ONE dollar?
    Me: I believe so.

After thanking me he walks out cheerfully!

There is a pizza place right next to where I work. I notice a man standing in front of it looking around. He looks into our window and sees me. He gets excited and walks into my store going

Man: Say, do you have the menu and phone number for the sushi place few stores down?
    Me: Sorry sir, I do not. You could probably just walk over there and grab one easily.
    Man: Wha..naaaahh. Too far. I'm no mood for pizza so I wanted sushi. (if only you guys could see just how close the sushi place is located)
    Me: Sorry. I've never been there.
    Man: I figured that YOU would know of all people.
    Me: Sorry.

He walks out annoyed.

We also get a lot of people asking if we used to be the other cleaners located in some other street, city, some other state such as New Jersey or Michigan or the Chinese takeout in some town I've never even heard of, or any other business with Asians or Asian-Americans.

A small number of people also can't tell the difference between the manager (he's in his 60s) and his son who is 22 I believe. Son is about 6 foot tall and speaks English as his first language. His father is about 5'6 and has a heavy accent. How is that even possible I do not know!

My personal favorites are when someone walks in and goes "do you speak English" or "can you understand what I am saying" Some of them will say this slowly. The other favorite is when someone walks in and goes "Konicheeewa" or "mushi mushi"

안녕하세요~

Sorry. Hello. I'm not Asian American, I'm white, but I study Asian languages.

My own mother will sometimes mock me in public when I am using Japanese or such with "ching chong tu tu tu tu"
    It's annoying to me, so I feel for you.

I think if you just stare with an eyebrow raised, that will make the person realize what a dingbat they are being.

Comment

Have you seen this video? You might try this technique next time.

http://youtu.be/DWynJkN5HbQ
      "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Quoth Sidvicious View Post
        Customer: Oh? Where did you move from then?
        Me: I moved from Queens. I'm Korean if that's what you're asking.
        I would have stopped at "I moved from Queens." In my opinion, a customer who is so rude and presumptuous as to assume you are an immigrant is not worthy of any more of your time.

You showed a lot more patience than I think I would have been able to muster.
        "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
        .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Every time I read stories like this I think of that Modern Family episode where Cam tries so hard to appeal to Lily's Asian pediatrician who was born and raised in Denver.
          Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
          Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
          Fiancee: What?!
          Me: Nevermind.

Comment

The oddest thing about these kinds of stories is that the number one thing that would indicate 'recent immigrant' to me would be clothing choice. Physical characteristics, job choice, heck, even accent (My father-in-laws was still thick as honey after 60 years) mean next to nothing in figuring out where someone is from. But with jeans and t-shirt so ubiquitous, even that becomes more and more difficult, especially among younger people.

If someone does have an accent that I can't place (Well, even if I can, as regions can be sensitive too.) I often ask, but very clearly in a conversational rather than confrontational way.

Comment

ching chong tu tu tu tu
              Half of those sounds aren't even used in Japanese. Which only goes to show that ignorance breeds contempt.

(Details - Japanese syllables always end in a vowel or 'n' - although the vowels can sometimes be shortened almost out of existence, which is how they cope with the many English loanwords - and 'ng' doesn't feature at all. There is also no 'tu' syllable, the nearest equivalent being 'tsu'. Those sounds are however present in some other Asian languages, including Korean.)

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                I would have stopped at "I moved from Queens."
                I deal with this crap surprisingly frequently. The typical conversation goes something like this...

THEM: "Hey, where are you from?"
                ME: "Arizona."
                THEM:"No, I mean, where are your parents from?"
                ME: "New York and New Jersey."
                THEM: "No, where is your FAMILY from?"
                ME: "America."
                THEM: "You don't understand. What nationality are you?"
                ME: "American."
                THEM: "No one's American. Unless you're an Indian."
                ME: "Well, I'm not an Indian, but I was born in the U.S., my parents were born in the U.S., and my family's been in this country for over 130 years. Which pretty much means that I am, in fact, American."
                THEM: "Yes, but where are your ANCESTORS from? What's your heritage?"
                ME: "What, the people I'm descended from that came to this country over 130 years ago?
                THEM: "Yes!"
                ME: "They're all dead, and I never met a single one of them, so I don't see what where they're from has anything to do with me."

Now, if someone politely asks me what my family's heritage is, I will explain that, if you take a map of Eastern Europe and start throwing darts randomly, you'll find the answer to that question. But to ask me what my "nationality" is is ridiculous. 3 of my four grandparents were born here, and my paternal grandfather, who I was named after, came here when he was 4.

This shit often comes from people who wonder if I am Jewish. I am descended from Jews, and I guess I am Jewish by that standard, but have never practiced it as a religion, as my parents didn't raise us like that, and not one of us follows it, so while it is my heritage, it in no way defines who I am, anymore than my love of sushi makes me Japanese or my love of pasta makes me Italian.

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
                Have you seen this video? You might try this technique next time.

http://youtu.be/DWynJkN5HbQ
                Fucking hilarious. More people should do tis when dealing with idiots! I'm sure I will....
                Last edited by Jester; 07-14-2013, 09:47 PM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                  I would have stopped at "I moved from Queens." In my opinion, a customer who is so rude and presumptuous as to assume you are an immigrant is not worthy of any more of your time.

You showed a lot more patience than I think I would have been able to muster.
                  I'm reminded of that scene in "Captain America." After Cap breaks out the (future) Howlin' Commandos from HYDRA cells, Duggan looks down at Jim Morita, commenting on his ethnicity. Morita pulls out his dog-tags and says in perfect English, "I'm from Fresno, ace."
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                    I'm reminded of that scene in "Captain America." After Cap breaks out the (future) Howlin' Commandos from HYDRA cells, Duggan looks down at Jim Morita, commenting on his ethnicity. Morita pulls out his dog-tags and says in perfect English, "I'm from Fresno, ace."
                    Kinda reminds me of this from "The Big Bang Theory":

Chen: Where's your annoying little friend who thinks he speaks Mandarin?

Sheldon: He's putting his needs above the collective good.

[to the other guys]

Sheldon: Where he comes from, that's punishable by death.

Chen: *I* come from Sacramento.
                    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                      Half of those sounds aren't even used in Japanese. Which only goes to show that ignorance breeds contempt.

(Details - Japanese syllables always end in a vowel or 'n' - although the vowels can sometimes be shortened almost out of existence, which is how they cope with the many English loanwords - and 'ng' doesn't feature at all. There is also no 'tu' syllable, the nearest equivalent being 'tsu'. Those sounds are however present in some other Asian languages, including Korean.)
                      I know. It's annoying to me, since my mother will then use me and say "speak" like a dog to neighbors to show off. -.-

Comment

Quoth Sidvicious View Post
                        My personal favorites are when someone walks in and goes "do you speak English" or "can you understand what I am saying" Some of them will say this slowly.
                        Right.. because as we all know if you speak slowly it matters not what language you speak you will be understood.

Comment

Quoth Fudgethatkay View Post
                          My own mother will sometimes mock me in public when I am using Japanese or such with "ching chong tu tu tu tu"
                          It's annoying to me, so I feel for you.
                          Next time, just look at her oddly and slap her. When she asks why you did that, tell her that's what she asked you to do.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                            Next time, just look at her oddly and slap her. When she asks why you did that, tell her that's what she asked you to do.
                            BUAHAHAHAHA brilliant. I just usually tell her her lack of education is showing.

Comment

Quoth Fudgethatkay View Post
                              I know. It's annoying to me, since my mother will then use me and say "speak" like a dog to neighbors to show off. -.-
                              And that's when you look her dead in the eye and say, slowly and sarcastically:

"Woof"

Comment

Working...
                              X