Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is certainly a job-related curveball...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, have to admit, a big thing I always ask is that there be no Non Competition Agreement. I like designing, and I want to do it on the side if I feel like it.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

I had to sign a non-comp agreement when I got my current job (not in my last job with the same company, though). I believe it only applies to two companies and one of them is no longer in business...
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Disclaimer: IANAL. Done.

From what I understand, traditional non-compete clauses are different. Non-compete usually means that if you leave a company, you can't (or aren't supposed to) work for one of their direct competitors (or, occasionally not going into the same business for yourself) for a certain period of time. In theory, it's to prevent someone from divulging insider knowledge to a competitor. Depending on your location and field, some courts have ruled this clause as unenforceable. Check before taking my word for it, of course...

The clause about personal projects being the property of the company is more of a work-for-hire clause. Whether the agreement meets the strict definition of work-for-hire or not depends on the company, and how much they are trying to claim...
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Working...
        X