This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My good deed for the year

So, yesterday morning, at about Five AM (early riser, late to bed; unhealthy in the short, medium, and long run, but it's cyclic) I was roused from my computer by an unholy racket on the front porch, involving the dog going ballistic, and pottery shattering.

It turned out that a Raccoon had attacked the nest that an intrepid songbird had made in one of my aloe pots. Of the nest, it was in three pieces (one more than the actual flowerpot), the parents were scattered over the porch in feathery clumps, and the two week-old Robin hatchlings were unharmed, and wiggling about on the porch, trying to find one another to stay warm.

So, I bundled them up in an old dishcloth, which I put in the (semi-usable) remains of their nest, before looking up where the nearest wildlife rehabilitation centre was. In the three hours it took between the chicks being orphaned and the centre opening (and me calling), they seemed to take a liking to the cloth, as it was warm and soft; just the way any nearly-featherless avian prefers.

After making sure the chicks were save, I bundled them up in the cloth again so they were safe and secure, placed them in a shoebox (left the lid open so I could check periodically), and delivered the two orphans to the centre, where they were given a clean bill of health, and will be raised to flight-capable ability before being released into the wild.

So, that was my interesting day/good deed of the year.

Thank you Salted. And very cool that a rehab center would take rather common, non-endangered critters like robins in.

Comment

I haz somfing in my eye . . .

Good on you, Salted.

Comment

Ohhh that is so great.....darn allergies

Comment

Do you have pictures?
          Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

I have pictures of the eggs and hatchlings from a few days before the attack actually, but they're on my mom's laptop (her camera, too). I'll probably swing by the shelter once a week just to see how the little beasties are growing and adjusting, as well.

Comment

Working...
            X