This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore disk

Ok, my mom has messed up a computer beyond my hope of fixing it. Since it is a slightly older computer, I don't have a restore disk. Short of taking it into a shop, is there any way of having it restored?
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

My default option is to install Linux. If it doesn't have a 64-bit capable CPU, you could try the 32-bit alternative. While booted into the live environment, and before you start installing, you can copy important files to an attached USB drive.

Many store-bought computers have a "restore partition" baked into the hard disk. If you can find the manual for the computer, it should detail how to access it. There may also be prompts during the boot process about it. Expect that to wipe all data, however, so do backup (using a Linux Live CD as above) first.

The final option is to obtain a plain Windows install disc and use that.

Comment

If it's a brand name computer, check the company's web site. They *may* be able to sell you a restore disk.

Comment

So far I've done my research, and looks like I can get it restored for relatively low cost at the local Staples store.
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Cool. If it's a laptop (or even some desktop types from places like Dell), google "modelname recovery partition" -- many have unintuitive ways to invoke said hidden hard drive partition, which will automate most of the process.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

If it's a Windows machine you can use a generic Windows install disc to reinstall. You don't need the actual disc from the manufacturer. The product key is usually on a sticker someone on the outside of the computer... use that rather than the key might have come with the disc. If there is no sticker sometimes the key is printed on a card, or if the machine isn't complete toast it can often be recovered from the hard drive. Once Windows is loaded you can either let it figure out what hardware you have an pull updates from the Internet, or go to the manufacturer's site and download updates.
            There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Linux is always an option, Linux Mint is my choice for desktop.

if you are looking for an .iso to burn to disk

http://www.w7forums.com/official-win...ds-t12325.html

These are not pirated, they are legit .isos

Comment

Yup. Linux distros are normally open-source unless they're commercial editions.

Note that Windows 7 discs contain ALL of the versions of 7 on one disc (Home/Pro/Ent/Ultimate), and Ultimate is what actually gets installed; it simply locks away features if you have a "lesser" version disc.

Windows CD's -- it depends. If the code was for an OEM version, it may or may not work, but it's worth a shot. OEM codes are generally licensed for one use only, and some CD's seem to have alterations that only allow one specific code to work (especially "branded" ones). Microsoft itself may flag them as invalid after the install, but give it a shot. OEM's have also been known to (supposedly) record the hardware configuration at the time of first activation, meaning that they may or may not work a second time if too many components have been changed.

That being said...Try it! It can't hurt
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                X