This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job interview went great

Well, here's how my interview went. I was early, so I actually sat through someone else's interview.

Then when I got to it, she asked me stuff I was good at, and I said I was fairly good at handling people... even though I sometimes stuck my foot in my mouth.

I told her the story of when I called a girl 'sir' and she got the 'I did that' face. I added: "She calmed down when I called her friends 'sir' as well."

Her: Oh you're good! (goes on about how she's done that before)

Me: I get it. I mean, I can look androgynous. *gestures to boy-styled hair*

Her: Nah.

(Thinking: Yes, it's hard to see me looking boyish when I'm in a skirt and heels)

She asked what a 'hat-wearer' was, and was pretty impressed to learn I had done a bit of everything at the old store I worked at.

Then we bonded a bit over how high schools are a festering pit (I said I was working on the fact that I get sick pretty much all winter, and added that this past winter, incidentally my first out of high school, was the first one where I didn't get sick at all)

Then she asked how I handled stress. Being on four different medications for anxiety and depression, I decided to handle this very carefully. I was quiet for a long moment, then I said: "Well, I feel stress is more of a long term thing. I handle chaos pretty well."

Then I told her the story about 'international week' being very careful with labeling ethnicities. I told her about the twenty 'israelis' (I don't know if they were israeli, but I did know the were all orthodox jews, but israeli definitely sounded better), where they felt like they turned into 40, and 5 of them tried to jump on the 3 person jetskii, and one of them asked me where the brake was on the pontoon.

I added: "I survived and I came back the next day, which is the best you can do I suppose."

She said she has to talk to her general manager, who will interview me if they want a second interview.

Of course, the job-in-question is Cook, and I once burned Easy Mac. (Of course I didn't mention that. I just said I'd been doing a lot of my own cooking since I left my parent's house.)

I joked with a friend that I handled the stress question like a politician: Side-step. Half-answer. Distracting anecdote!

I have two more interviews this week. I'm finally getting interviews!

Mind you, one of them is for a 911 dispatcher. Sounds like they'll let anyone through the door, but they're very happy to kick you right back out.
    Last edited by Cooper; 08-07-2013, 08:30 PM.

Nicely done Coops! I particularly like the stress/chaos answer.

I assume you can pass the background check for the 911 job? I understand it's fairly rigorous.

Fingers crossed that one of these interviews pans out.

Comment

The only times I ran into police officers:

When I was very little (like, my parents thought I couldn't open doors yet little) I left the house and went to the neighbors. I got brought home by the police.

My grandma was speeding once. I was afraid of police officers (for some reason) and stacked up my suitcases and pillows and made a makeshift emergency fort to hide in.

It did not slip by the police officer. (He was a good one! XD) He gave me a brief smile and a hello.

I was speeding once, when I was lost and really upset. They led me back in the right direction, and let me off with a warning.

And police officers were called to our house several times over a renter we had. One time he ran my license and found nothing.

So, I'm fairly convinced there's nothing to find.

Comment

Interview #2: It went okay, I think. The lady wasn't nearly as expressive, and it was a phone interview.

The odd question out was asking about working with someone different from yourself.

So of course, I talked about international week. My area is pretty homogeneous. (If you're here, you're probably a WASP.)

Comment

911 interview: It was just a standardized test. The actors that acted out the 911 calls for the audio portion were bored out of their minds.

And strangely, had the heaviest southern accents I'd ever heard.

My fav was, in absolute deadpan: "Oh God. Someone is breaking into my house. What should I do?"

The words were there, but the guy was so anti-selling it, he swung right back around to selling it. It was in the same tone of voice as someone would recite tax code.

Also, one of the answers on the test (one of the wrong answers) was: Most 911 calls are placed over the phone.

Comment

Good luck! If there's one job you would prefer over the others, I am crossing my fingers that you get it!

Quoth Cooper View Post
            *snip*

I joked with a friend that I handled the stress question like a politician: Side-step. Half-answer. Distracting anecdote!

*snip*
            I think that's probably standard operating procedure in job interviews!

Comment

Quoth Cooper View Post
              Also, one of the answers on the test (one of the wrong answers) was: Most 911 calls are placed over the phone.
              Wait. What? What's the correct answer?

And totally loving the scripted calls description. What a strange job.

Comment

I don't remember. The question was: "What was the author trying to get across in this paragraph?"

The 911 job sounds like it'll take a long time to get. The background check apparently takes months.

The patient sitter is an on-call job. I joked I'd be pretty good at that.

"So you get paid for not making plans, so you can come in at a moment's notice.

"I never make plans. So that sounds like the job for me!"

Unfortunately, they weren't suggesting I'd get enough hours to sustain me. It looks like the cook job is the best option I have right now.

Comment

Working...
                X