This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have no words for this guy...

...well, none that wouldn't get me fired or written up, anyway.

So I'm babysitting self-scan, and get called in early. It's chaotic, but nothing I can't handle. Until this guy.

Act One
    I'm standing in the aisle as it's a mass of people up front, and I can better keep an eye on all the registers at once. He strides up "Are you a manager? Get me a manager!"
    Me: "[ASM] is busy right now, maybe I can help y--"
    SC: "No! I want a manager! Where is he?" (yes, he emphasized the pronoun for some odd reason, unfortunately our female manager hadn't gotten in yet. She takes no shit from customers and that would have been fun to watch)
    Me: "He was around, ask at the desk." *goes off to take care of an actual problem*

Act Two
    About 10 minutes later, one of the S-it guns calls for an audit. I'm trying to explain to the customer (why do you need to know the details?) what I'm doing and why, when ASM shoos me over to help the guy on lane 11. Little did I know who it was...
    SC: "Are you going to help me, or do you not know anything?"
    Me: "That was uncalled for. Do you want me to help you, or not?" Meanwhile, I had already started the audit procedure (before he shot his mouth off), so I had to continue.
    SC: "Wait wait wait. Stop. How do I know that's my number or someone else's?"
    SC tries to touch me, I jump back (at this point, I'm mentally holding a snarling wolf down with both hands).
    SC: "You know what? I don't have time for this. [shocker, neither do I] I want you to leave. Just leave. Get the manager to help me."
    Me: *knowing he's busy with the other customer, I say nothing, get as far away from SC as I can and flag down ASM after counting to 20* "[ASM], this customer wants you to help him."
    ASM: "What's wrong?"
    Me: "Audit. He insulted my intelligence, got belligerent and now wants you to help him. I'm not dealing with him anymore."

ASM helped the guy and was nice to him...my jaw wasn't the only one on the floor within earshot. Later, I cornered ASM and asked WTF happened...his reply? "That guy's just strange. I'll deal with him."
    Me: "So you're saying that its okay for customers to insult your employees?"
    I didn't get to hear his reply to that as he got a phone call and I had to deal with another problem.

This to me crystallized a lot of what's wrong with this store; customers are allowed to insult employees and get away with it (some managers will stand up to them, some won't). I plan to fire off an anonymous message to the corporate "check-in line" about things. If I see that guy again, I'm just refusing to deal with him. I don't know what his dysfunction is, and don't care; he made it clear he doesn't want me to help him. If I happen to be the only one who can, too bad.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

He sounds misognistic....it wouldnt have mattered if you had been mother teresa...you are woman, hear him roar. Bleh

Comment

Complain to higher-ups, you should not have to take that shit from customers, and no manager/SUP should allow it, especially if he reaches over and tries to grab you. If that had been me, I'd have very firmly told him, "Get your hands off me and go to another line! You don't get service from me now!" As for cussing, insulting me, etc., once a customer crosses that line, I'm done with them. Regardless of how much we get paid per hour, no amount of money is worth this kind of shit. Customers need to be shown that they can't pull crap like that. Management is afraid they'll lose business? No, they will lose 1 very big asshole customer, and there are millions more out there to take his place.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
        If I see that guy again, I'm just refusing to deal with him. I don't know what his dysfunction is, and don't care; he made it clear he doesn't want me to help him. If I happen to be the only one who can, too bad.
        Sounds like a misogynist to me, too. Or maybe just a bog-standard asshole. Either way, he desperately needs a shoe leather enema. I'm glad you're allowed to refuse service to him; so many customer service workers don't have that option.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

When ASM said "I'll deal with him", he could have meant deal with him as in give the guy an earful next time he darkens the door; the timing of that reply seemed off to me. I haven't seen SC back, so it's possible ASM politely told him off the first time...it would be nice to know that though.

SM will back me up on refusing to serve the guy (I have a feeling I'm one of the few competent nonmanagers that he doesn't want to piss off or lose), and he said he'll make the other FEMs aware of it in case SC comes back and tries it on someone else.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Good..no one should have to deal with that!!

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
              SC tries to touch me, I jump back.
              When it comes to my personal space, I get very aggressive, very fast. Try to touch me in a non-friendly manner? Find yourself in a very painful position, possibly with sprained and/or broken fingers.

(I'm so unwilling to let people I don't know into my personal space that I don't usually let anyone ride in the front seat of my cab unless the back is full.)
              Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
              OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
              she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
              Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Working...
              X