This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twice in one day..

I have worked in the customer service industry for quite a few years. Currently I work at a pizza place and at a hotel. Both have their fair share of SC's, yet each job is unique in the type of SC's I have to deal with. This story took place a week ago Sunday while I was working as a delivery driver at the pizza place.

So, we get an online order for cash that comes through around 11 am, a small order for about $15.80 or thereabouts to the very furthest boundary of the delivery area. Just for a point of reference, it's about a fifteen minute drive, maybe one or two bucks worth of gas.

As I pull up to the apartment building I notice some people standing out front smoking.

SC: Are you from (name of pizza place)?
    ME: Yes, I am! Hey! How's it going? Are you (name of customer)?
    SC: Let me go get the money.
    ME: OK.

I start to follow him across the courtyard to his unit with his order in hand. He hands me a $20. At this point by his body language, he's kind of starting to act a little bit aggressive.

SC: Change?
    ME: Sure, what do you need?
    SC: My change, motherfucker! That's four dollars!
    ME: Uhh..Ok..Whatever man. (At this point I'm a bit taken aback at just how aggressive this guy is being towards me and kind of wondering what in the hell was the problem.)

I hand him his four dollars and I walk away. I had pretty much forgotten the incident when about 5 hours later we get another order from the same address, same name, same unit. I'm thinking to myself, maybe this guy will redeem himself.
    I deliver his order, this time he's inside his apartment.

ME: Hello again!
    SC: What was that total?
    ME: 15.20! (or thereabouts, I can't remember the exact total now.)
    SC: OK. Let me get your money.

The guy comes back with an envelop full of a few bills and a bunch of nickels, dimes and pennies.

ME: Ummm...ok? How much is this?
    SC: 15.20 (I do kind of a quick approximation of a count but I definitely don't have ten minutes to count the whole thing right at the beginning of our dinner rush..)
    ME: This is really not very cool, man. I'm sorry but we can't be expected to keep coming back here any more if this is how you're going to do things.
    SC: Sorry. bro. Times are rough!

Shuts the door in my face.

I went back to the store and told the story to my coworkers about how aggressive he was towards and just generally how much of a dick he was, how he paid in coins in exact change (which once I counted the money it was actually a few cents short) and it was decided that this guy would no longer be allowed to order from us anymore. Good riddance. Sucky Customer banned.

If times are so tough you can't tip a buck or two then it is far too tough to around $30 in pizza.
    The angels have the phone box.

Comment

We could make a weeks worth of basic cheese and pepperoni pizza for $30. If I am so broke that I can't tip the driver, I would be using that money to buy food with, not ordering takeout.

You know how much stirfry I can make for $30? [especially since I have another 22 pounds of soy beans, a soy milk maker, reagent and a tofu mold, and I know how to use them! Veggies are cheap. ]

I have always been extremely thankful that I know how to cook, and am interested in cooking so I am not stuck with convenience foods. They tend to be too salty and boring.

And on the subject of food - I hadn't realized that the tiger shrimp infestation has spread so widely in the south and east I am seriously hoping they do not wipe out the native shrimp [brown and white] and the bivalves in the area. Invasive species suck.

[though at about a pound per shrimp, I am more than willing to selflessly catch cook and eat as many as possible whenever we are in the areas affected ]
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Woohoo! Fired custy!
        Good on your management, Nordel. Way too many cave in that situation.

Welcome aboard.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
          And on the subject of food - I hadn't realized that the tiger shrimp infestation has spread so widely in the south and east I am seriously hoping they do not wipe out the native shrimp [brown and white] and the bivalves in the area. Invasive species suck.

[though at about a pound per shrimp, I am more than willing to selflessly catch cook and eat as many as possible whenever we are in the areas affected ]
          Good grief, I thought that was a tattoo until I saw the legs hanging past the bounds of the arm...
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth starsinthesky View Post
            If times are so tough you can't tip a buck or two then it is far too tough to around $30 in pizza.
            Exactly, exactly, exactly. Everyone in the States knows about tipping.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

For the cost of one pizza I could buy 4 nice steaks and fire up the grill...
              Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                Good grief, I thought that was a tattoo until I saw the legs hanging past the bounds of the arm...
                I know ... we would be going through copious amounts of cocktail sauce, butter, garlic, lemon and herbs

Since both Rob and I dive, 'shopping' for seafood is fairly easy. We are headed back to the keys in 2015 - we found a state park near Marathon that has a handicapped accessible cottage and dive boat and currently is $120 per night off season [april - november. I don't insist upon vacationing in the winter.]
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

You thought the guy was going to redeem himself? A sucky cheapass customer like him? There's your first mistake, having faith in humanity
                  As a fellow delivery driver I feel your pain, and I hate it when I tell my coworkers that someone stiffed me, and they reply, "Maybe they didn't have enough for a tip." Um ok, so let me get this straight.... They are so fucking poor that they can afford to eat out and spend $15 or $20 on dinner, yet they don't have an extra few bucks for the delivery driver who has to waste his gas, money, and time delivering to them so they can sit on their fat asses and not have to go out? BULLSHIT!!! Hey come on folks, if you're that poor and you know for a fact that you have just enough to pay for the food, then don't make the drivers come all the way out to your place. Get your fucking lazy ass into your car and go pick it up, its a short drive and it won't take hardly any time at all.
                  Had a customer try to pay with a bunch of change the other day. When I told them I'd have to count it and they got irritated, they pulled out a $20 bill, even though they said the change was all they had You pay me in change, you're gonna goddamned well wait til I finish counting it you little bastard.
                  1 last thing, you said your store will ban certain people right? Not our store, not unless the customer starts making threats or something along them lines. There's quite a few people who we would love to blacklist

Comment

Quoth BowserKoopa1 View Post
                    You thought the guy was going to redeem himself? A sucky cheapass customer like him? There's your first mistake, having faith in humanity
                    As a fellow delivery driver I feel your pain, and I hate it when I tell my coworkers that someone stiffed me, and they reply, "Maybe they didn't have enough for a tip." Um ok, so let me get this straight.... They are so fucking poor that they can afford to eat out and spend $15 or $20 on dinner, yet they don't have an extra few bucks for the delivery driver who has to waste his gas, money, and time delivering to them so they can sit on their fat asses and not have to go out? BULLSHIT!!! Hey come on folks, if you're that poor and you know for a fact that you have just enough to pay for the food, then don't make the drivers come all the way out to your place. Get your fucking lazy ass into your car and go pick it up, its a short drive and it won't take hardly any time at all.
                    Had a customer try to pay with a bunch of change the other day. When I told them I'd have to count it and they got irritated, they pulled out a $20 bill, even though they said the change was all they had You pay me in change, you're gonna goddamned well wait til I finish counting it you little bastard.
                    1 last thing, you said your store will ban certain people right? Not our store, not unless the customer starts making threats or something along them lines. There's quite a few people who we would love to blacklist
                    Haha, yep. I should know better than to give SCs the benefit of the doubt..
                    I have heard that kind of excuse from one co-worker in particular and it is utter bullshit. I just dont understand the need to defend that kind of douchebaggery. If you don't have a couple bucks to tip then you have no business ordering a delivery. And our store doesn't charge for delivery either..so there's just no excuse.
                    We're a pretty chilled place we're not corporate owned or anything so we reserve the right to refuse business but it usually takes a lot for that to happen. Mainly this guy was just being an aggressive asshole. Not specifically threatening but aggressive. He didn't tip and he paid in coins. That's 3 strikes as far as I'm concerned.

Usually if enough people complain about a customer's behaviour then management will get on board with it and take action which is pretty cool. In this guy's case he was a first timer as far as I know.. but I'm glad he didn't get away with hus bullshut for very long.

Comment

I dunno about all of you, but after stiffing a driver once, I wouldn't order a 2nd time... not for a long while anyway...

I'd be too worried about getting... the special sauce on my food...

Comment

Quoth Skarredmind View Post
                        I dunno about all of you, but after stiffing a driver once, I wouldn't order a 2nd time... not for a long while anyway...

I'd be too worried about getting... the special sauce on my food...
                        Oh, you mean the stiffy sauce.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                        X