This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delivery driver seriously beaten

MODS: if this is not the correct place for this please move it to where ever.

At this time I can not find any news storeies about the incident.

A driver who was robbed about 2 weeks ago got hit again last night in a different area. Unfortuneately it was not a robbery this time. I do not have much in the way of hard details at this time but here is what I know so far: He was beaten pretty bad. teeth knocked out, possible skull fracture, possible brain injury, in short from what I hear he is pretty messed up. I seriously doubt he will come back to work anytime soon or even if he will come back at all.

Again from what I have heard the suspects did NOT rob him just beat him up.

His delivery, as far as I can tell was to an established customer (I have delivered to the address before but not in awhile).

This is a sad day for drivers in my area. I may have more info later as the details emerge.

This is a prime example of what a dangerous job delivering pizzas is.

This may be a turning point for more than a few of us.

To the delivery drivers here on CS: PLEASE BE SAFE OUT THERE
    Last edited by Racket_Man; 08-16-2013, 04:24 PM.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Risking your life at minimum wage.

At least my taxi have a camera and an alarm button. I'm sorry.

Comment

That's horrible. Keep safe.
      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

OK here is the story as I know it now.

Again the driver followed procedure TO THE LETTER.

The driver delivered to a long established customer. After delivering the order to the customer, he was approaching his car 2 men (not the "usual suspects" or the group that hit him up 2 weeks prior ) popped out from the darkness, accosted him and demanded money. They frisked him and did not find any cash or a wallet (that was taken 2 weeks ago all he had was his Drivers License) on him. The driver DID have money on him but it must have been buried deepo enough in his pockets that the perps missed it. This seemed to enrage them. They then tried to get into his car but the doors were locked. This really enraged them and they proceeded to beat the snot out of the driver (they are not sure what he got beat with) then ran off. He somehow (does not remember doing this) got his car open and used his cell phone to call 911.

During this time the store is getting worried as the driver had been gone for a while. The MOD called the cops so they could check the drivers last known location ( the order address). The cops told the store the driver was enroute to the hospital and that he had been attacked.

Preliminary condition: skull fracture, dental damage, possible concussion, the orbital (area around the eye) bone cracked and a broken nose. He will have to have some reconstructive surgery for the nose and orbital injuries and dental work done. At least it will all be paid (along with lost wages) for by Workmen's Comp.

My best estimate is that he is going to be out for at least a month or maybe 6 weeks.

We speculate that this was a crime of pure oppurtunity due to the fact we are required to have those BIG LIGHTED rob-me toppers on our cars. From what we know at this time it may have been 2 guys looking for a quick money score and the driver was in the wrong place at the wrong time. We do not believe the customer was involved (the order was small so even if they paid in cash the driver did not have much on him at the time), though that is ALWAYS a possiblilty.

Comment

That's awful. I hope his recovery goes well.
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Geez I hope he gets better soon. At least Workmen's Comp is paying for medical and lost wages.

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
              At least my taxi have a camera and an alarm button. I'm sorry.
              At Big Green Cab Co, not all cabs have cameras. But even for those that do, it's one person in a metropolitan area with more than 4 million people.

Luckily, I haven't had to use the alarm button... yet. But I've been told that I can be rather intimidating in person, so perhaps that's it, I dunno.

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
              Preliminary condition: skull fracture, dental damage, possible concussion, the orbital (area around the eye) bone cracked and a broken nose. He will have to have some reconstructive surgery for the nose and orbital injuries and dental work done. At least it will all be paid (along with lost wages) for by Workmen's Comp.
              Good lord! And Yay for Workmen's Comp!

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
              We speculate that this was a crime of pure oppurtunity due to the fact we are required to have those BIG LIGHTED rob-me toppers on our cars. From what we know at this time it may have been 2 guys looking for a quick money score and the driver was in the wrong place at the wrong time. We do not believe the customer was involved (the order was small so even if they paid in cash the driver did not have much on him at the time), though that is ALWAYS a possiblilty.
              Cab drivers are in the same situation. We had a pretty bad one last year where a driver was shot (!) -- with the added bonus of no workmen's comp. He survived, and we passed the hat for him. The next week, I took Big Green Cab Co's self-defense class. (Rule #1: you can't outrun a bullet. Rule #1a: you probably can't dodge one either, especially inside a car.)
              Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
              OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
              she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
              Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Thoughts and prayers for the driver and his family.

I quit delivering in the mid 90's. Even in the small town where I worked, there were regular robberies and there were some areas where we finally refused to deliver. After one driver I worked with was robbed and put in the hospital, I began carrying my .45 in the car and sometimes tucked into my waistband under my shirt even though it was against company policy.

The manager knew and pretended not to know. He told me once if I ever had to use it he'd have to fire me. That's cool with me man, at least I'll be alive. But that didn't stop him from sending me out with female drivers on some deliveries.

One night near the end of my illustrious career as a part time driver, I had a car start chasing me on a delivery. After a mile or so of the car riding my bumper so close I could not even see its headlights, I whipped into a parking lot, spun around, and got out with my .45. All 4 doors of the other car were open and 4 dudes were unassing ready to come collect some cash until they saw Mr. Colt. I never had a problem after that and neither did the store I worked for.

This is a hot button issue for me so forgive me if any of this offends you. The right to self defense is a human right that isn't granted, it is PROTECTED by the Constitution, and should not be taken away in the interest of corporate profits or fears of lawsuits. I can garantee you that the corporate lawyers who write the rules that disarm and render helpless low-wage delivery drivers live in gated communities protected by armed security and that the lawyers themselves have plenty of firepower in their homes. But in their minds, they are the elites who are more entitled to that basic human right than the serfs who do the actual work that creates their wealth.

Ok, rant over. Flame away if you wish.
                Proud Oath Keeper and 3 Percenter!

Comment

Quoth NCO View Post
                  The right to self defense is a human right that isn't granted, it is PROTECTED by the Constitution, and should not be taken away in the interest of corporate profits or fears of lawsuits. I can garantee you that the corporate lawyers who write the rules that disarm and render helpless low-wage delivery drivers live in gated communities protected by armed security and that the lawyers themselves have plenty of firepower in their homes. But in their minds, they are the elites who are more entitled to that basic human right than the serfs who do the actual work that creates their wealth.

No flames here! I totally agree with you. If it were feasible to implant weapons into my cab a la Harry Canyon I'd do it in a heartbeat.
                  Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                  OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                  she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                  Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

This is why i'm not rushing to leave what i'm doing. I'm a 1099 contractor, specifically courier, and the easiest driving job to get in a standard employee relationship would be pizza delivery, but stories like this are why i'm still looking.
                    Seph
                    Taur10
                    "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth NCO View Post
                      This is a hot button issue for me so forgive me if any of this offends you. The right to self defense is a human right that isn't granted, it is PROTECTED by the Constitution, and should not be taken away in the interest of corporate profits or fears of lawsuits. I can garantee you that the corporate lawyers who write the rules that disarm and render helpless low-wage delivery drivers live in gated communities protected by armed security and that the lawyers themselves have plenty of firepower in their homes. But in their minds, they are the elites who are more entitled to that basic human right than the serfs who do the actual work that creates their wealth.

NO flames from me. ALL they fear is lawsuits. Most of the upper management have forgotten what it is to be a ground pounder rooting around in the dirt. Most of them are Numbers people meaning numbers means all who cares about the humans behind those numbers.

One of the problems is that even the cops suggest no weapons and be subserviant to the perps. which in this case DID NOT WORK. IF you are a female delivery driver I call their policies "Legalized RAPE". and no I am not trying to be funny.

I'm sorry if my life is in danger I WILL fight to stay alive not "take one for the team".

At least they do have some understanding of this current situation as a large city 2 hours south of us (same franchise) has driver robberies and such all the time. certain parts of that city it is NOT a good idea to be a pizza delivery driver under any circumstances.

Amongst ourselves us drivers have batted this particular issue around for years but with the corp policies all it is is talk. But then there are things that are NOT classified as "weapons" BUT...........

Comment

OK. We all realize this is a very upsetting situation that should NEVER happen to anyone trying to make an honest living, but PLEASE take the discussion of law enforcement, self-defense and socioeconomic issues to fratching.

We're leaving the thread open for now so Racket Man can post updates and members can offer help. We really don't want to have to close it for fratching.
                        The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

So is there any update on the driver? And any trace of the muggers?
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                            So is there any update on the driver? And any trace of the muggers?
                            The driver is recovering as well as can be expected. Several surgeries and dental work is in his near future

I highly doubt that this case will be solved as the perps, like most in cases like this, fled into the night and disappeared.

Comment

I didn't realize drivers would have enough to temp someone to rob them. I guess I tend to imagine them delivering one pizza at a time, and only having maybe $15 on hand. That poor driver! I hope he gets all he can from workers' comp and then a new job.
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                              X