This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No we don't sell beer; or odd liquor laws and SCs

I work in a supermarket. I'm well aware that most states grocery stores can sell beer (including NYS, only 30 mins away). But this is PA and we have some bizarre idiotic liquor laws. During fireworks season we get alot of customers from the Empire State buying fireworks. I've lost tract of how many times I've had a conversation like this;

C: Excuse me, where's your beer?
    Me: This is PA we don't sell beer.
    C: Huh, what do you mean you don't sell beer?
    Me: It's state law, if you wan't to buy beer you have to go to a case distributer or a bar/deli.
    C: That's dum.

Sometimes it's not beer, but wine or liquor. I once tried to explain our system of state stores to a couple visiting from Nevada (where you can get it anywhere). Or "non-alcoholic" beer and wine; since it sill has .5 ABV you need to be 21 to buy it. For a while corporate decided to extend the age restriction to things such as grape juice and apple cider ! That was fun. Or the manager who decided we wouldn't sell drink mixers to anyone under 21.
    Mon aƩroglisseur est plein des anguilles!"

I work in a supermarket, and our licencing laws are as follows; no alcohol sold before 8 or after 11. We open at 7am every day but Sunday, and close at 10 every day but Sunday. The fun really starts at Christmas when we have extending opening hours, and divvy customers think they can come in after 11 and buy booze.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Comment

Our Rules regarding beer and mixers are even better in my store. Due to several failed stings (how hard is it to ID someone?), all supervisors need to approve all beer sales. WTF. So annoying. I'll go into more detail in a later post, but its so frustrating to get yelled at because of someone else's stupidity.
      Running on ice is just as smart as shoving a fork in the toaster - Blas in regards to a dry pool diving team member who decided to run across a 50 mph highway following an ice storm

Comment

From what I am to understand about New Jersey's laws, the only two laws about alcohol that I know about are you can't sell it to someone under 21 and you can't serve alcohol on Sundays until after noon.

And why is it, in PA, that beer and liqour stores are different? Is that some silly law too?
        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Greenday
          ...And why is it, in PA, that beer and liqour stores are different? Is that some silly law too?
          The only "liquor stores" in PA are the government-run Wine & Spirits Shoppes. They have a total monopoly on the sale of hard liquor and a near-total monopoly on the sale of wine (wineries can sell their own product). They are staffed by civil servants (from what I hear it's a very cushy job). If you want to buy beer you have 2 choices; go to case distributer where you must buy by the case or keg, or go to a bar, deli, or restaurant that sells six-packs. But you can only buy 2 six-packs at a time; so you need to buy them, step outside the door, hand them to a friend, and go back inside. It's a stupid system, but it's not going to change any time soon.

Comment

Quoth Greenday
            And why is it, in PA, that beer and liqour stores are different? Is that some silly law too?
            Here in Washington, you can't buy beer and liquor at the same store, either, although only the liquor stores are state-regulated. For beer you just go to any supermarket or convenience store, provided you do so before the cutoff time (can't remember exactly, but I think it's something like midnight) - after that time the stores pull/cover/lock up the beer.

And we're now flirting with having some of those state-run stores open on Sundays, after who-knows-how-long with the blue laws.

Anybody know where it is that they have the drive-up windows on the liquor stores? I want to say Texas, but I'm not sure...
            Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Quoth alphaboi
              The only "liquor stores" in PA are the government-run [URL="http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/"] It's a stupid system, but it's not going to change any time soon.
              It's changed a bit, didn't they just allow cases to be sold on sundays?

Comment

that PA law threw me off when I visited a good friend of mine in Pittsburg last year. he sent me out to go get some beer, but neglected to tell me the law that was in place. when I went to local supermarket I was totally stumped. I must of looked like a bafoon trying to find the beer in the one place I always knew it to be...not in the hotdog place that was located near the university. after it got cleared up I was still confused, but I accepted it. luckily there aren't a whole lot of people getting busted for brewing their own beer around there =3.
                Movie, Music, Anime and many more reviews...coming soon!

Comment

Quoth trunks2k
                  It's changed a bit, didn't they just allow cases to be sold on sundays?
                  Yeah, but only between noon and 5pm. PALCB is also alowed to open 10% of it's stores on Sunday. The entire idea of a state monopoly is f_cked up.

Comment

There's no such laws in Wisconsin. Liquor and beer are sold right in grocery stores. No state-run liquor stores or blue laws.

Is it any wonder we're a bunch of drunks?
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Thank goodness I live in North Dakota. Some places say, "A chicken in every pot." Here in ND it is, "A keg in every corner." OK so I made that last one up, but it isn't far from the truth. The best thing to do is have 6 people with cell phones go to different liquor stores in town and everyone buying X alcohol at whatever store had it the cheapest.
                      "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Quoth PuckishOne
                        Anybody know where it is that they have the drive-up windows on the liquor stores? I want to say Texas, but I'm not sure...
                        NM, I think (at least they were mentioned in the drunk-driving video training I had to do to get my permit the first time). Never seen one in person however.

I wouldn't be too surprised if TX had them as well, though.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth PuckishOne
                          Texas has a lot of them, especially east Texas.

Comment

Hm, apparently there are also pharmacies in other states that sell beer and/or alcohol? I once had a customer come in and asked where our beer was. I told him we don't sell beer and he got pissed off and was ranting about how none of the pharmacies in the area have beer. Why the hell didn't he just try a liqour store is beyong me.
                            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth PuckishOne
                              South Dakota but the only liquor store with a drive-up window that I can think of is Canyon Lake Liquors. It might be the only one in the state for all I know.

Lousiana has drive-thru liquor stores - you literally drive through the building. When I was living down there they didn't even have an open container law.
                              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Working...
                              X