Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wherin no amount of booze would be enough.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherin no amount of booze would be enough.

I started a new job not that long ago at a well known art chain (Employee discount on my sketchbooks and pencils! WOO!) and I've already gotten to know some of the crazies we deal with.

The Haggler

(BG: I work as the cashier. I stay up front at the cash registers, and cannot leave that area. Corporate keeps cutting hours, so a lot of the time I'm the only one there besides a single floor worker, framer and the manager, who are all busy.)

A middle aged man comes up to the register, putting a bunch of fairly high priced stuff on it. I smile, give my typical greeting and ring him through. Seeing the price, he frowns.

Let's call this guy Hag for short.

Hag: I don't want to pay that much.

Me: Do you have a coupon you'd like to use today?

Hag: No, but I don't want to pay that much.

Me: *trying to be helpful and friendly, and to get rid of him since I have a line forming and no backup* Well, I have a coupon right here, I can let you use this one - *adds the coupon, dropping the price noticeably* There we go!

Hag: *still looks disgruntled* I don't want to pay that much.

Me: Did you want to remove something from your purchase? This item here seems to be the most expensive, if you take that off your purchase will be *price*.

Hag: No, I want everything. But I don't want to pay that much. What are you going to do for me?

Me: ....I already used the only coupon I have here, the price won't go any lower without removing something.

Hag: Well I don't want to take anything off, but I don't want to pay that much. So what are you going to do for me?

Me: There's nothing I can do, except take something off, but you said you wanted it all.

Hag: I do want it all. So what are you going to do for me?

At this point I wanted to tell him that I was going to put it back on the shelves for someone who would actually pay for it, rather than be a jerk about it, but I am non-confrentational to a stupid point ((I am working on it)) so I ended up calling the manager. He gave her the same spiel for several minutes while the line continued to grow until she finally got the message through his head that it wasn't going any lower and he finally left. The manager had to hop on register herself to help get the line shorter, because people were getting mad, and quite a few yelled at me. I'm already on anti-anxiety medication and have problems with social situations, so it was not enjoyable for me.

Oh, and later that day someone stole a display. Not the stuff on the display, which was taken off and left on the floor, but the butt-ugly cardboard display itself. I'm guessing it was a prank or something, but then again we get some really crazy people in here sometimes, so there's no telling. We've had to call the police twice already on some people.

Quoth Clover View Post
    The manager had to hop on register herself to help get the line shorter, because people were getting mad, and quite a few yelled at me. I'm already on anti-anxiety medication and have problems with social situations, so it was not enjoyable for me.
    The Haggler was trying to beat you down for ages, wouldn't stop playing his broken-record spiel, and the crowd are yelling at you?! cowards, they should've yelled at him, it's his fault. If the Haggler (sounds like a Batman villain, doesn't he?) would've put on his Big Boy Underoos and accepted "no" for an answer like an adult, nobody would've had to wait so long.

I don't know who's worse, the Haggler or the crowd.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
      The Haggler was trying to beat you down for ages, wouldn't stop playing his broken-record spiel, and the crowd are yelling at you?! cowards, they should've yelled at him, it's his fault. If the Haggler (sounds like a Batman villain, doesn't he?) would've put on his Big Boy Underoos and accepted "no" for an answer like an adult, nobody would've had to wait so long.

I don't know who's worse, the Haggler or the crowd.
      I'm pretty used to being the catch-all for blame as far as stuff like that goes. Slow old lady takes forever to write a check, and doesn't have her license with her for verification so she takes even longer counting out exact change in pennies? My fault, obviously. Someone with a billion kids who are destroying the store comes through with three full carts and decides then and there what they do or don't want to take, rather than having made their mind up while shopping? My fault. Expired coupon? My fault. Everything falls on the cashier.

Comment

Quoth Clover View Post
        I'm pretty used to being the catch-all for blame as far as stuff like that goes....Everything falls on the cashier.
        Oh, I know that, BTDT. But it's still bloody cowardly to pick on you rather than take it up with the SC who is causing the delay.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

"What am I going to do for you?

I'm going to tell you the price of the items you selected. Then I am going to take payment for them, give you any appropriate change or a credit card slip to sign, bag up your items, and wish you a good day. In short, my job.

Oh, that's not what you meant? You meant what am I going to do for you to lower the price of the items you selected, that had their prices clearly marked on them when you selected them, even after I so generously provided you a coupon you didn't even know about?

Nothing. Not a goddamn thing. Because lowering the prices of the items you picked out that you wanted to buy is NOT my fucking job, you raging pile of decrepit brain cells and collapsed synapses.

Beyond nothing, the only other thing I am going to do is repeat to you what the price IS, not what you WANT it to be. And we're gonna go round and round in this little repetitive dance of ours. And I'll win. I'll always win. Because you don't have a fucking choice in the matter, you pathetic little cockroach.

You wanna haggle? Go see Jester. He has a $20 bottle of Corona for you...."
          Last edited by Jester; 09-09-2013, 03:05 AM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            You wanna haggle? Go see Jester. He has a $20 bottle of Corona for you...."
            Well, considering the title of this thread...
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
            X