Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally agree with the Picture of Dorian Gray. My only hangup was the chapter dealing with the hobbies he gets into that seems to go on forever. If that book doesn't show you the price of being an asshole and that one day you will regret a scummy life, nothing else will. There should be a list of vices and what books will teach you not to engage in them, if you happen to want to give up that vice. Like make them part of a scared straight program.

Sherlock Holmes (But I see that's been suggested), Agatha Christie...Tolkien, obviously, and CS Lewis' Narnia books if you don't mind that it is, technically geared toward children.
    Last edited by Tama; 09-15-2013, 07:35 AM.
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Pride and prejudice and zombie, Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, the Meowmorphasis....
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Dune - Frank Herbert (Haven't read the rest of the series, probably should)

Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead, possibly Xenocide - Orson Scott Card

Beowulf - Seamus Heany translation
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Another one I remember doing in high school was The Lovely Bones.

school libraries will often have sets of "class texts" that can be borrowed out (in most cases) so checking there might be a good start.
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Well, I've bought a ton of books. Only a few I feel like I'm missing:

Ayn Rand's Anthem and The Fountainhead
            The Giver
            HP Lovecraft Collection

Next week. ^^

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
              Dune - Frank Herbert (Haven't read the rest of the series, probably should)
              After the third book, the tone of the series changes significantly. They're still excellent books, but... different. (God Emperor could stand alone; 5 & 6 (and 7 & 8, written by Herbert's son and someone else) are essentially a sequel series.

Quoth Cooper View Post
              Well, I've bought a ton of books. Only a few I feel like I'm missing:

Ayn Rand's Anthem and The Fountainhead
              The Giver
              HP Lovecraft Collection

Next week. ^^
              If I can find my copy of The Fountainhead, I'd be more than willing to pass it on to you.
              Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
              OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
              she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
              Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I missed this until just now, but if you wanted any more suggestions I have some.

Wilkie Collins:
                The Moonstone
                The woman in white
                No Name

Maya Angelou:
                I know why the caged bird sings

Truman Capote:
                Breakfast at Tiffany's

Fannie Flagg:
                Fried Green Tomatoes at the whistle stop cafe

John Updike:
                Witches of Eastwick

Kurt Vonnegut:
                Mother Night

Louisa May Allcot:
                Little Women (I haven't read the sequels but there are three I believe).

I'm a huge fan of Metaphysical poetry and Carol Ann Duffy as well. I don't know what the school system is like in the US but there was a lot of poetry in the UK when I was suffering in school. I still have my (annotated) pre 1900 poetry anthology from my GCSE's

42_42_42 that is an amazing list. I had several duplicates before I checked.
                "So you think they named this ship the "Chimera" because there's a monster on board?" Tony DiNozzo

"They did not name it the puppy" Ziva David - NCIS, Chimera

Comment

Quoth CloserToSane View Post
                  I know why the caged bird sings
                  Why does the caged bird sing? Because I have incriminating photos.
                  Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd

Comment

Yes, I do intend to compile all these lists, but, for a while at least, I'm going to stop. After those, and Lolita, since I forgot it, I'm gonna take a break.

Build more bookshelves...

Comment

I had forgotten about this when I made my first post, but another classic young adult science fiction saga is the Tripod series, written by John Christopher. The first book is The White Mountains and it's a very good read. Humans have been enslaved by a mysterious alien race and are mind controlled from mid adolescence onward, the process being disguised as a rite of passage to adulthood. One teenage boy, approaching the age of Capping, starts to question what he's been taught. Great read.

Comment

Quoth Barracuda View Post
                        I had forgotten about this when I made my first post, but another classic young adult science fiction saga is the Tripod series, written by John Christopher.
                        This. My god, that was a good series.

Comment

Working...
                        X