Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make my mom go from zero to queen bitch in 5 seconds or less.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make my mom go from zero to queen bitch in 5 seconds or less.

Okay, so we were at a suit shop today getting the hubs fitted for some new suits (specifically one black, one navy), they were out of navy, had to order it and were going to ring up the black. While we were being rung up, my mom noticed that the sales person had chalked wrong and gotten some of it stained into the fabric. She pointed this out and mentioned that she was concerned about there being discoloration. The sales person very rudely said "it's just chalk, it will come right off".
    Wrong answer, mom paid for her way through school by working as a tailor, and she knows how chalk behaves, and if it isn't used properly, it can cause discolorations (which is why they typically mark on what is going to be the inside when possible). She called him on it and said "okay, then humor me, run and get your chalk brush and clean it off real quick." Sales guy claims, no this isn't necessary, you have to have a suit cleaned after it is tailored anyway (which is true, after they have tailored it, about the only way to get it properly pressed is to have it cleaned and pressed professionally), you can just have it taken care of then. At this point she did get a bit blunt and said "I was a tailor for several years, don't try to pull a bullshit line on me, if it isn't damaged like you claim, then you can wipe it off now." His response, "Ma'am, that would only rub it in further." Well fine, whatever, she asks "well, I don't want to chance paying to have a suit tailored, only to have it cleaned and find out it is damaged and not be able to give it back."
    His response was so far across the line that if we could afford to go somewhere else, we would have walked out right then... and we're still not ruling out filing a complaint against the store with corporate, "Ma'am, you're not going to scam a discount out of us for a chalk mark, all I can do is put this one back on the rack and order a new one to be on the next shipment along with the navy suit."
    Notice, at no point had she mentioned a discount, at no point had she mentioned anything other than a legitimate concern over whether or not a mischalking had caused damage to the suit. Needless to say, at that point the gloves were off, her exact response was "well, you best do that then, and please don't screw that one up too... and I really hope you don't find someone who knows less about clothes that you can scam into buying that damaged suit, here's my card, and please have someone else call us to let us know when our order is in."
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

I've walked out of stores for less attitude than that. Your mother has the patience of a saint compared to I.

I will gladly pay a little more for better customer service, plain and simple.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I think she was perfectly reasonable. I hope you called and spoke to a manager about that employee's attitude!
      "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

I think your mom was just fine; it sounds like the employee was trying to 'now little lady' her, then realized they were being called on the problem and redirected attention by being threatening and rude. How hard could it have been to clean the chalk off right there? The employee certainly needs to be more professional and I hope you get taken care of by an employee that actually knows about and cares about their job.

P.S. That's good to know about the chalk, I had no clue.
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

O.o that was your mom being bitchy??? She sounded lowkey to me...wonder what that says about my mama lol

Comment

I like your mum !!! she takes no shit. hope she reports his rude arse

Comment

I'm sorry, but I have to respond to this. I've been a lurker here for a while but this actually inspired me to create and account so I could comment.

I'm a seamstress and currently work in a bridal shop doing alterations but like your mother put myself through college working in a tailor shop.

About fifteen years ago tailors chalk stopped being actually chalk; or more accurately, not just chalk. This is specifically to make sure that all markings would go away in either washing or dry cleaning and to prevent fabric discoloration which, your mother is correct, could occur with the previous version, but won't anymore.
              Last edited by Dips; 09-18-2013, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Quoth Venus View Post
                About fifteen years ago tailors chalk stopped being actually chalk; or more accurately, not just chalk. This is specifically to make sure that all markings would go away in either washing or dry cleaning and to prevent fabric discoloration which, your mother is correct, could occur with the previous version, but won't anymore.
                That's great to know for future reference, thanks.

I believe what the problem was, though, was the attitude of the tailor in refusing to either 1) explain this or 2) humour her by getting out a brush and going over the mark. A few moments taken to say that in recent years a new type of chalk had been brought out purely to prevent the staining that she remembered would have solved the problem with no-one needing to get upset. Instead the tailor patronised a paying customer, treating her like an annoying child.
                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

It's obvious that you haven't seen me in queen bitch mode. Your mom's behavior was my standard, calm, but not taking s**t behavior.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Thank you, Venus. I use chalk for my alterations, and I never recalled having any problem. Granted, I just do stuff for myself and my family (mostly hemming and halloween costumes) but it was enough to make me think about what the OP's mom was saying. I inherited all of my chalk from a seamstress who went out of business, though, so I have no idea what I'm actually using or how old it is.

That said, the cashier's response was still out of line. A moment to brush the marks off would have forestalled the whole thing. Or Mom could have used the best cleaner ever created in, like, EVER... Mommy Spit. As any parent know, that stuff will clean anything!
                    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                      ... Or Mom could have used the best cleaner ever created in, like, EVER... Mommy Spit. As any parent know, that stuff will clean anything!
                      Even rubs out RudeSalesCretin!
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                        Or Mom could have used the best cleaner ever created in, like, EVER... Mommy Spit. As any parent know, that stuff will clean anything!
                        *MOD EDIT - Excessively large image resized out of courtesy to other members. Please click on image to enlarge.

Indeed.
                        Last edited by Ree; 09-27-2013, 11:38 AM. Reason: Image resized

Comment

Working...
                        X