This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another reason to hate Walmart

I wasn't sure where to put this, but since it was something I saw while shopping, I put it here.

My local hell mart has a policy where the greeters are supposed to check receipts of customers leaving with items not in bags. They don't always do this, especially when it's busy.

So, today I go in for a couple of items. I hate going there anyway, but they had Diet Coke on sale for a really good price, and at the rate I drink the stuff, I really need to take advantage of the really good sales. Anyway, I'm leaving with 4 cases of Diet Coke and two gallons of milk not in bags, plus a few odds and ends that were in bags. In front of me in the line to get out the door are several other people with carts full of mostly bagged items and maybe one or two larger items (paper products, etc) not in bags. The guy is checking the receipt of one woman, and another woman tries to walk out the door. They guy looks at her and very rudely tells her that she'll have to wait and show her receipt. When it comes to my turn, he just waves me through.

What's the difference you ask? There's one reason I can think of that would get me into fratching territory, so for the purposes of this post I'm just going to focus on manner of dress. I was well put together and the women in front of me would have been fodder for "people of walmart". That shouldn't matter. We were all customers spending our money in their store. I absolutely hate seeing people being mistreated or treated differently, even if I'm the one who's benefiting from the disparate treatment.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

It might have been because she didn't wait for him to wave her through. That would set off a ping in the warning system in his brain. Since you paused, he figured you weren't trying to pull anything.
    Could also be that she is known to try to slip items through without paying.

Comment

Thing is, I should not have been waived through. Store policy at that location is to check the receipts of anybody leaving with items that are not bagged. I had 6 unbagged items in my cart.
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

But you were slowing down and preparing for the receipt check while the other person was just cruising on through. I really think it's that simple.

He has to assume somebody trying to just walk out without the receipt check is a potential thief. But if somebody is stopping and getting their receipt ready he may assume you're honest and just let you through.

Really though, receipt checks aren't a great solution to theft. All they do is put the checker in the position of having to be yelled at by customers for the inconvenience, or violation of their rights, or whatnot, or else be disciplined by management for not doing their part to stop theft.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

But the fact remains that he didn't follow policy. I just don't like it when some people get a pass and others do not. It really doesn't matter the reason. If you're going to have a policy, follow it.

To be honest, I'm one of those types that looks honest and rarely gets questioned. A few weeks ago I was visiting an out of town friend who was staying in a high end hotel in a ritzy area of town. This particular hotel requires that you use your room key to activate the elevator buttons to every floor but the lobby. I waltzed through the lobby, hopped on the elevator, rummaged through my purse for a second until the other guest (a stranger to me) stuck his room key in the slot and asked me what floor I needed. I wasn't up to no good, and to be honest, I didn't even realize that I needed a room key (I just had my friend's room number and was heading up that way), but it bothers me that just because I look put together, I don't get questioned while other people who maybe can't afford the nicer clothes or just don't feel like putting in the effort get harassed. I've seen it happen over and over again. Poverty =/= thief. It bugs me to no end.

I guess I'm just venting. I used to teach in an inner city school and I get unreasonably angry when people get mistreated, or treated differently, just because they're poor.

Comment

Well, personally, I don't need another reason to hate WM. I've got plenty already.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
              But the fact remains that he didn't follow policy. I just don't like it when some people get a pass and others do not. It really doesn't matter the reason. If you're going to have a policy, follow it.
              From the stories I see on here, hell-mart isn't very good at sticking to any of their policies. Which is certainly worth venting about, and calling them out on.
              Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

I thought the Mart of Hell did away with greeters?

Policy following at Mart of Hell is like playing roulette. Only with one chamber unloaded. Management can and will jump them for following or not following policy. Which it will be will depend on what manager is on duty and how they are feeling at that moment.

Add in customers and that game of roulette not only comes fully loaded, but with TNT in the chambers.
                If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

This is a high volume store in a not so nice area. They don't have greeters on every shift. At night they have uniformed cops instead.

Comment

And I hate that people assume I'm racist or classist when I make a decision on who to trust and who to call Loss prevention on in my store. It's not based on race, class or clothing. It's based strictly on if they are acting suspicious. And someone trying to buy pass the receipt check is one of the things that we (employees) are taught to look for. You got waved through because you were not acting suspicious, and when there is a long line, and limited time, and people trying to by pass, then some people are going to get waved through. I don't care how "superior" something thinks they look, if they are acting suspicious, they are going to get flagged.

Comment

When people do this, I typically just wave back, say I'm good and keep walking. I've only ever had one person give me an issue to which I told them I have no obligation to be stopped. No drama really, just letting them know I have no intentions of humouring them when I have other things to do.
                      Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Quoth Mystic View Post
                        When people do this, I typically just wave back, say I'm good and keep walking. I've only ever had one person give me an issue to which I told them I have no obligation to be stopped. No drama really, just letting them know I have no intentions of humouring them when I have other things to do.
                        i do this too. i frequently get around with a backpack with my laptop and other odds and ends i need for my vocational college and it's a pain in the arse to have to open every single little pocket.

it's even worse when i'm with my special needs 2 year old child. i have to carry so much more for her and if she's in a bad mood we need to leave NOW.

the law in Australia says that retailers can request a bag or receipt check, and if you consent they can look only - can't touch anything or move anything. if you do not consent they can't force a check unless they are 100% certain that you have stolen - including clear visibility from the moment you stole the item to the moment you attempt to leave the store (law says nothing is stolen until you leave the store. this is also in case someone steals but dumps it elsewhere in the store)

even than all they can do is hold you and wait for the police - and if it's a wrong call they are in for a metric ton of butt hurt. if you refuse though retaillers can ban you from there premises
                        The mere fact that we have the flamethrower means that someone, somewhere once said "You know, I'd really like to set those customers over there on fire, but don't possess the means to do it"

Comment

Quoth judecat View Post
                          And I hate that people assume I'm racist or classist when I make a decision on who to trust and who to call Loss prevention on in my store. It's not based on race, class or clothing. It's based strictly on if they are acting suspicious. And someone trying to buy pass the receipt check is one of the things that we (employees) are taught to look for. You got waved through because you were not acting suspicious, and when there is a long line, and limited time, and people trying to by pass, then some people are going to get waved through. I don't care how "superior" something thinks they look, if they are acting suspicious, they are going to get flagged.
                          I don't know how to say it to make it any more clear. Store policy states that that EVERY customer with unbagged items must show their receipt. I had 6 unbagged items in my cart. I was waved through based on something. That's disparate treatment; breaking store policy. And that is not okay.

Comment

Okay folks, I think it's better to discuss this over at Fratching.

Thread closed.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                            X