This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cosplayers and/or Whovians to me!

So I've recently gotten into (translation: slightly unhealthily obsessed) Doctor who, and I want to cosplay either Ten or Eleven for Halloween. Problem is, the Doctor seems to wear really FRIKKIN' expensive clothes, the jackets and coats in particular. I'd also be gender bending, but even if I get similar styles in women's, the jackets still run $170 at the cheapest. I work for Voldemart, I can't do that.

Are there any places I'm not aware of that might carry lookalike pieces for a more affordable price? Ebay and Amazon are out, even if Amazon has an amazing riding jacket that's similar to what Eleven wears. (It was $500 +!) I'm also going to try thrift shopping this weekend if I'm feeling inclined.

And one last thing . . . would it be too lazy of me if I just got one of these and a Sonic and rolled with it? Also my best friend at work may or may not be wearing a TARDIS bathrobe or t-shirt.
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
    And one last thing . . . would it be too lazy of me if I just got one of these and a Sonic and rolled with it? Also my best friend at work may or may not be wearing a TARDIS bathrobe or t-shirt.
    Lazy? Sure. But lazy is not always bad. The details seem to be there, and frankly, it is, according to the description, officially licensed. Sure, it's not an actual coat, but the money difference is substantial. I say go for it! Unless, of course, you find something killer in a thrift store, which is always a possibility.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Definitely check thrift stores if you can. Take a photo of the doctor you want to cosplay and see what you can find. The prices are usually pretty low.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm off this weekend and my fellow thrifty friend is looking for an excuse to get away from her husband's friends party. If we don't hit the beach we might go hunting. I'd really like to go full on costume but I don't wanna spend an arm and a leg on it.

I've just had a few people inquire if I knew what I was doing this year or not and that they "Know I'll be spectuacular." I guess they liked my vampire last year and now I feel like I have to live up to it without doing a repeat

Comment

The only thing I can think of to get it cheaper would be to go as 12, skip the jacket, get a fez.
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I went as Ten last year. Chopped my hair off and everything. I wasn't going for perfect, but I found a brown trenchcoat, slacks, and a tie at Goodwill. Less than twenty bucks for the lot. My glasses are identical to his already, and I bought a sonic screwdriver from a comic book shop. It was Eleven's but I wasn't sure if I would find Ten's in time. So definitely check thrift stores. They can surprise you.

Comment

Guess I'll definitely be thrifting this weekend, then. If not with a friend, then by myself. She's trying to set me up with someone and I'm not entirely sure at this point I want to be.

I've decided that I'd probably roast to death as Ten, it's Florida after all, so there's a good chance Halloween will find us still having shorts and tank top weather. And Eleven is just so . . . quirky. So weird. So utterly childlike sometimes. I can relate to that Also I've trimmed my hair into long bangs to grow out bleach damage from my Rogue streaks, so I can do the floppy-haired thing and let the rest hang long or pull it back.

And then if all else fails and I find the perfect yellow dress, I might buy a pink wig and go as Fluttershy. But Eleven is my first choice. It's the one time of year I get to show off my geekness in full and get away with it, I'm kind of a go big or go home type.

Comment

Go as 11, get a cheap blazer from the thrift store - you can find something tweed-like that will do the trick.

Just don't forget the bowtie.

Comment

Ooh squee a cosplayer!!I want to find out more about cossying.I've been larping for a while and got to meet quite a few larpers who are also cossies too.I just wish some of them weren't quite so obscure-having not read as much manga and anime as they have,I have no idea who some of them are
                  The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                  X