Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

While filling out an application, no less.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would this be at all like if you were a Starfleet cadet trying to apply for an assignment aboard the Enterprise and the cadet said this eh, colorful conversation at turned out to be William T. Riker? Those of you who are Trekkies will surely understand.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
      Agh! That's discrimination! You're discriminating against racists! Call the ACLU!
      As I found out the hard way a few years ago, it'only counts if it's the UNLAWFUL kind. For example in my home state of KY's laws, it is totally fair game to fire someone for being gay (remember sexual orientation is not yet a federally "protected class") but firing someone because they are a smoker is unlawful discrimination.

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
        For example in my home state of KY's laws, it is totally fair game to fire someone for being gay [snip] but firing someone because they are a smoker is unlawful discrimination.
        Wow. Would you please start a thread about it on Fratching? I would really like to comment on that, but I don't think it'd be suitable in here. I guess the "Grab Bag" section over there would be the right place to put it.
        A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
          Would this be at all like if you were a Starfleet cadet trying to apply for an assignment aboard the Enterprise and the cadet said this eh, colorful conversation at turned out to be William T. Riker? Those of you who are Trekkies will surely understand.
          Remember, in this particular outfit, senior officers could seemingly steal starships, flaunt orders and regulations, and even circumvent Starfleet's own highest, most profound directive - all without fear of consequence.

Comment

One of the more interesting tidbits I remember from job hunting is to be nice to everyone you meet at the company. Evidently there are some people that will ask the receptionist how he or she was treated when you came in.

Comment

Well, that makes a lot of sense. Someone who is only polite/nice to superiours is not someone you´d want to work with.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                One of the more interesting tidbits I remember from job hunting is to be nice to everyone you meet at the company. Evidently there are some people that will ask the receptionist how he or she was treated when you came in.
                I will every time.

I've also tossed resumes after a decent interview with people who couldn't be bothered thanking or acknowledging the office manager if she brings us coffee during the interview. If we are still talking even a nod or smile is all it takes.

I was in the office talking to a guy who was dropping a resume when the boss, who was helping repair a piece of machinery, walked in covered in grease. The job hunter kind of glared at boss while he asked me to order certain parts, and when he carried on to the bathroom to clean up, job hunter said "that was rather rude of him to interrupt our conversation," before talking a few more minutes about our company and his resume. Job hunter left and boss walked out of the bathroom, picked the resume off my desk, looked at and said "huh", threw it out and kept walking.
                Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Working...
                X