This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
    Sir, are you here to save souls or to save money on a computer?
    PERFECT handling of the situation, Hawaiian Shirts.
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
      Wait! What????? How the heck could Jesus have declared that you have to preach the gospel of Paul???? Paul came AFTER Jesus ... he was a Christian persecutor until he had an experience with Jesus. That guy was not only crazy, he doesn't know his Bible very well!
      Considering all the people who quote Leviticus all the while wearing tattoos that I see (some even with passages from Leviticus tattooed on them) it's a fairly large number of people that preach the Bible without knowing it apart from the two or three passages that argue their point for them...

...regardless if taken in proper context actually argues for their point in the first place.
      I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

I've derailed many a soon-to-be-rant by simply stating, "I do not discuss my beliefs at work," until they get the clue-by-four and stop asking. Nothing good can ever come from discussing either politics or religion in a public setting.

My hubby and I have different beliefs and we have some pretty darn good discussions on the topic. However, I don't expect that level of open mindedness from a customer or coworker.
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
          Did you tell that preacher an atheist sold him his computer?
          No, but I told that co-worker the story afterward, and he was thoroughly disappointed that he didn't have a chance to throw off the preacher's groove. He would have been good at it, too. He's the kind of guy who can argue any point, whether he believes it or not.

Quoth sirwired View Post
          Is this sort of angry evangelizing on random strangers ever effective? I imagine it's a bit off-putting to potential converts.
          I can tell you--from many observational experiences and from a psychological standpoint--it is definitely not effective. FAR more effective is something like, "This is what I believe, and this is why I think it is right for me." And even then, why do that while shopping for a computer? I kept thinking that he could have just handed me his card and invited me to his services without any of that ranting or even without the initial question of whether I had a church to go to.

Quoth South Texan View Post
          PERFECT handling of the situation, Hawaiian Shirts.
          Thank you, Texan. I have to admit that I was rather pleased with myself for that line. I've been yelled at about my religion plenty of times (including once by a guy with a rifle and three angry dogs), so it didn't really ruffle my feathers all that much.
          I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
          - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
          - IPF

Comment

No, but I told that co-worker the story afterward, and he was thoroughly disappointed that he didn't have a chance to throw off the preacher's groove. He would have been good at it, too. He's the kind of guy who can argue any point, whether he believes it or not.
            Ahhhh!!! He threw off my groove!
            I'm sorry, but you threw off the preacher's groove.

The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
              Is this sort of angry evangelizing on random strangers ever effective?
              Every bit as effective as wolf-whistling women on the street!

Last edited by sms001; 10-09-2013, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                Every bit as effective as wolf-whistling women on the street!

And we all know how well that works on women . . .

Just a reminder to keep any discussions of religious beliefs off CS. You're more than welcome to discuss those to your hearts' content on Fratching.

Unfortunately those types of SC's are the worst in my opinion: those who just have to force their beliefs in *whatever* on whomever is around or wherever the mood hits them.

Nevermind that a retail store full of people really isn't the place for that sort of discussions. There again, some folks may do that b/c they have a "captive" audience and just thrive off being the center of attention.

Any way you slice it, it's pathetically laughable.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Me: Sir, are you here to save souls or to save money on a computer?
                  Too bad you're not in Peru. Then the next customer could save sols while also saving money on a computer.
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Whenever a customer tries to be religious I go with it and blatantly lie and tell them whatever they want to hear. They get the satisfaction of having met another carbon-copy of themselves and I get to move the line along. Sharing beliefs is something close friends and kindred spirits should do. It has no place in line at a store.

Although I ALWAYS take the pamphlets that this one guy hands out because he always has a different one with really neat articles and it doesn't get all Jesus-y until the last page and that STILL has cool stuff on it too. Plus he gives out neat little Jesus-related puzzles that are tough to figure out too. Much better than the normal stuff they usually give you that I throw straight in the bin.

To start trying to change your clerk or sales person because of someone unrelated to the task at hand? I would consider it inappropriate and just overall rude. Much better to just hand you a pamphlet and let you throw it out.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post

Just a reminder to keep any discussions of religious beliefs off.... those who just have to force their beliefs in *whatever*
                      That's why I'm glad this isn't shut down or taken to Fr. 'cause it really isn't the religious aspect that is making them sucky - it could be politics, environmentalism, charity, any one of dozens of things that are inappropriate discussions between strangers. Especially, as you note, strangers who are forced to be polite and can't disengage.

Comment

I've had this happen at work, here, late at night (which made the whole thing all the more surreal).

I had a visitor here one night from the other group that does the door to door recruitment calls. I am happy for her that she's found something that works for her, but seriously, I am at work, leave me alone if you're not a customer. I don't have time to witness biblical figures, or read pamphlets about light houses. I just want to get my work done...

As was said earlier though I think some folks figure they have a captive audience and you *CAN'T* be rude to them. I've found that more of my managers have been of the kick them out on their ass if they are going to treat you that way.

That said OP, good handling of the issue... me... well I tend to instigate... "Oooh yes, I know ALL about Jesus... I worship Satan."

Comment

Quoth Skarredmind View Post
                          That said OP, good handling of the issue... me... well I tend to instigate...
                          Wonder how "Hey, where do you work? I can swing by there and we can discuss this on your boss's dime." would go over?

Comment

WTF? The only time "religious issues" should come into play when someone's buying a computer is if it's a matter of the Linux Traveling Revival Show, the Old Time Gospel of OS/2, the Ashram of Mac, or those heathens in Redmond, WA.

As for the preacher in the OP, if you had a minute or an hour or two, would he tell you The Gospel According to Luke?
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                            X