This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cellphone Customer Just Broke My Brain

I am the store manager for a major cellular provider, and I just had a woman come in who had the following problems:
    • She was angry that we couldn't change her brother's (government provided) prepaid phone into her name without him here...
    • She didn't know how to turn the phone on...
    • She thought $10 a month was wayyy too expensive...
    • She wanted to know how to dial 911, then when I showed her, she asked me to call it so she could hear what it sounded like (didn't believe me when I told her that was a BAD idea)...
    • Was indignant that she'd have to "still pay for it during the Winter?!?"...
    • When I told her how to dial numbers, she asked me which number was which (it took her 5 tries to dial a '9')...
    • I told her that the booklet explains how to use it, and she said she doesn't have time to read things...

...aaaand, my favorite quote (and believe me, it was TOUGH to choose): "Is that a '4'?"
    "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
    -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

There are a LOT of functionally illiterate people out there. I deal with many who "forgot their glasses" and we can have a perfectly smooth and friendly transaction.

Add a nasty, entitlement whore attitude and all bets are off!
    Last edited by Automan Empire; 10-11-2013, 05:28 PM. Reason: speeling
    Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

The only parts that really scared me were that this woman was wearing a local factory's uniform (which means, most likely, that she works with heavy machinery on a daily basis) and that she drove here
      "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
      -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post
        [*] Was indignant that she'd have to "still pay for it during the Winter?!?"...
        Wait, what?

I know this is a dangerous question to ask, but why would she think that cellular service should be free during the winter?
        I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
        - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
        - IPF

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
          Wait, what?

I know this is a dangerous question to ask, but why would she think that cellular service should be free during the winter?
          I'm curious as to know why as well . . . and besides, she's griping over paying $10 a month????

Give me a break. I'd give ANYTHING to have to pay only $10/month for my cellphone but as I have a traditional family plan w/rollover minutes (not to mention my iPhone requires a data plan) I'm paying ten times that per month (usually around $110 if I don't use the texting which is per text since I won't add on another $20/month for unlimited.)

I'll be glad to give her my bill anytime and see how she likes those grapes.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

For those of you that are curious, if you need a "to be used for emergencies only" phone, it's possible to do this for $30/hr.

Buy yourself a used non-prepaid Verizon phone off eBay, and activate it on Page Plus Cellular (which uses the Verizon network) on their $10 plan. The $10 gives you 10-cent minutes, 5-cent texts, and will run the phone for four months, and the monthly fees (which come out of that total) are only $1.50, IIRC.

Comment

Wait, what?

There's no service I've heard of that does that but I do know that in winter there are laws against shutting off heat for non-payment until spring. You're still responsible for the bill and they will shut off heat once they're legally able to if you still haven't paid. That's the only thing I could think that she could mean.
              How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                For those of you that are curious, if you need a "to be used for emergencies only" phone, it's possible to do this for $30/hr.

Buy yourself a used non-prepaid Verizon phone off eBay, and activate it on Page Plus Cellular (which uses the Verizon network) on their $10 plan. The $10 gives you 10-cent minutes, 5-cent texts, and will run the phone for four months, and the monthly fees (which come out of that total) are only $1.50, IIRC.
                Good to know.

Comment

If you're in the US, any cell phone can dial 911, even without a plan. Our local woman's shelter asks folks to donate their old cell phones, because they can at least be used to dial 911 in an emergency.
                  A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post
                    I am the store manager for a major cellular provider, and I just had a woman come in who had the following problems:
                    [LIST][*]She was angry that we couldn't change her brother's (government provided) prepaid phone into her name without him here...
                    I was under the impression that government-provided cell phones could NOT be transferred to anyone else - whether with the owners permission or not.

Quoth icmedia View Post
                    [*] She didn't know how to turn the phone on...
                    [*] She wanted to know how to dial 911, then when I showed her, she asked me to call it so she could hear what it sounded like (didn't believe me when I told her that was a BAD idea)...
                    Granted, I don't know everything about EVERY phone, but I'll bet I can figure out how to turn one on. And why on EARTH would she want to know what 911 sounded like?

Quoth icmedia View Post
                    [*] She thought $10 a month was wayyy too expensive...
                    I use a prepaid, and usually get about 3 weeks out of $10. Of course, I only make calls when absolutely necessary, and during off-hours if I can.

Quoth icmedia View Post
                    [*] Was indignant that she'd have to "still pay for it during the Winter?!?"...
                    [*] When I told her how to dial numbers, she asked me which number was which (it took her 5 tries to dial a '9')...
                    [*] I told her that the booklet explains how to use it, and she said she doesn't have time to read things...
                    Okay, now MY head hurts.

Comment

Quoth Automan Empire View Post
                      There are a LOT of functionally illiterate people out there. I deal with many who "forgot their glasses" and we can have a perfectly smooth and friendly transaction.

Add a nasty, entitlement whore attitude and all bets are off!
                      There's "functionally illiterate" and then there's "How many times did you lock yourself in the closet before you found the front door today?"
                      "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

Of course because the waves that get the communication from cell to cell [hey, I even used the US English word!] fly lower when it's cold because they become heavier due to the low temperature, so they don't need cables (because normally they always travel on cables of course) and therefore there is no need for any infrastructure. So it would be UNFAIR!!eleventy!!!! to charge during the winter.

Makes enough sense?
                        FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                          ...but I do know that in winter there are laws against shutting off heat for non-payment until spring.
                          Well, at least that's a semi-reasonable position from which she could get the idea and then misapply it to cell phones. Still wrong, but not horribly far-fetched.

Quoth Dark Psion View Post
                          There's "functionally illiterate" and then there's "How many times did you lock yourself in the closet before you found the front door today?"

Quoth C. Cecil Ivanish View Post
                          Makes enough sense?
                          Considering that I sold computers for four years and currently do tech support for a branch of state government, that actually does make sense when viewed through the understanding of some of my customers / colleagues. Cecil, you're scaring me.
                          I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                          - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                          - IPF

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                            I'm curious as to know why as well . . . and besides, she's griping over paying $10 a month????

Give me a break. I'd give ANYTHING to have to pay only $10/month for my cellphone but as I have a traditional family plan w/rollover minutes (not to mention my iPhone requires a data plan) I'm paying ten times that per month (usually around $110 if I don't use the texting which is per text since I won't add on another $20/month for unlimited.)
                            So you wouldn't give ANYTHING to have to pay only $10 a month after all. Looks like you'd only give up to $100/month, otherwise the $10 plus "bribe" would be more than you're paying now.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post
                              [*] I told her that the booklet explains how to use it, and she said she doesn't have time to read things...[/LIST]

...aaaand, my favorite quote (and believe me, it was TOUGH to choose): "Is that a '4'?"
                              Gee, I can't figure out why this MENSA member struggles with complicated concepts like the number 4, can you?

Guess we won't be seeing her in an upcoming Upper Class Twit of the Year competition.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X