Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need some victims...er 'guinea pigs' for my uni project...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some victims...er 'guinea pigs' for my uni project...

Dear lovely people,Any help with my uni project would be muchly appreciated.
    I'm doing psychology class(and boy our customers could provide some case studies)
    and this semester's project is on gender.

Anyone willing to participate will be much appreciated and given one free zap spell to use against a SC of your choice.

Part 1 is a simple little quiz.You will be given a set of names and asked to say whether you think they are male,female or either.I won't post them up until study end because any discussion that follows may influence people's decision.It's entirely anonymous,but you will have to say whether you are male or female.

Part 2 is on gender associations.(this is quite relevant at the moment as I have a work project putting up the pink girlie and blue boyish Kinder Egg displays!).There may even be a thread out there-do you have any stories of conforming to or breaking gender stereotypes-were you a guy who was always playing with the dolls and pink flowery things whilst your sister was demolishing things with zapguns?Does your daughter live in trousers or your son insist on wearing skirts?We'd also appreciate thoughts on whether you agree with the standard gender roles and identities or not.

Part 3 is simply an extension of this-do any of you have any photographs that can be used as illustrations of traditional or non-traditional gender roles?-ie I already have pictures from a friend of her son in his gym leotard and her daughter in her baseball kit,and another of her son and his (male)friend having fun playing in their dresses.(Actually they look rather sweet-with the long hair,you can't tell whether they're male or female to start with).

Many thanks-your help will be invaluable-please post here or PM me as you prefer(the quiz will be by PM only).I've already had some other help from other forums and I'm sure CS won't let me down!Contributors will be kept anonymous unless you request otherwise.
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

I've got some pics from when I worked at a Boy Scout camp. Would that help?
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

You can PM me. I've got some good examples for gender identities (airplane mechanic grandmother, flute player father, I'm a mathematician and love working on cars, my son is a ballet dancer and an uncle who made a living dressing in thongs and stiletto heels and posing for pictures with tourists).
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Sure, shoot me the quiz.

Comment

I'd be happy to take part too.
          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Sure, I'd happily take the quiz, not sure I can really help with Part 2/3 though!

Comment

me too

my first job was gender bending - I wanted more money so i pestered my dad to put me in the physical plant, so for the first summer i labeled and painted chemical containers, then i got plunked into the machine shop and interned, and sent to a few machine technology courses. and I worked in a professional kitchen, which is another male dominated profession, and i was in a band for a few years, which is really a male dominated deal =)
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Send me the quiz! I'd love to participate.

I really don't put much stock in traditional gender roles; my parents raised us to do what we wanted to do.

While as a kid I was probably typically male in my play habits, toy choices, and natural ability with math, there were some things that were a bit atypical. Cooking is the obvious one, which I've gotten far more into as an adult, but to be fair, everyone in my family cooks. Also, because my parents believed in fairness, all three of us had to take turns doing the family's laundry, so I was one of the few incoming freshmen in my college dorm that wasn't at all phased by the laundry room.

My stepsister, growing up as she did with her father and brother, aka Mr. Fixit and Mr. Fixit, Jr., is totally comfortable working on her car. Myself, I can do the basics, but when it comes to anything more than changing the oil, she'd kick my ass every single time. I'm far more at home in the kitchen aisles at Bed, Bath, and Beyond than in Pep Boys, and she's probably the opposite.

My older sister, while herself a badass cook, is kinda a Ms. Fixit. There may be nothing she can't fabricate. Ten minutes before her wedding, she suddenly realized she had no veil. She whipped out her glue gun, and BAM! she had a veil. And no, I have no idea why she had her glue gun with her either, but I can't say it surprised me.

And then there's my niece Bear. (Don't use that nickname as an example of a gender bender. It's not.) Bear is, in most things, the typical little princess. She loves pink, she loves girls things, she loves being a girl. But she LOVES cars. I got her a miniature remote controlled car a couple years ago, and she'd follow that thing all around the house, driving it over and around everything. During this last trip home, before I could sleep in the guest room where I normally stay, her father and I had to pick up a lot of her toys....including a LOT of Matchbox sized toy cars. I'm thinking of getting her a larger RC car this Christmas....

My parents, all three of them, in most ways fit the traditional gender roles. But they never preached those to us, and allowed us to find our own way. And they never had a problem with any roles we took on for ourselves that were not gender traditional. My friends seem to be about the same, mostly.

Oh, almost forgot....in my best friend's home, she is not the main cook. That is her husband. And on this last trip home, while talking to my stepbrother, I discovered the same thing goes on in his house. Apparently his wife has many talents, and not one of them has anything to do with the kitchen; she's a microwave cook, he's the chef in the family.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Go ahead and send me the quiz.

Comment

I'm up for it.

I'm a biological female, preferred pronouns feminine though I'm not picky, that identifies as genderqueer, so I dunno if that is a plus or a minus in your book.

Comment

I'd be happy to participate... I also have a picture, and can direct you to some youtube videos, of the man who dresses as a nun and patrols my city's downtown on a tall bike.
                      Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but last weekend my son and I wore out Halloween costumes for the first time. He was Kirby and I was Prince Fluff (from the Wii game Kirby's Epic Yarn'). Kirby is of course pink and Fluff is blue. I was Fluff.

My mom: "Why did >son< pick the pink one? I'm just curious. Is there some reason for that? Why pink?" (in a 'why are you making your son gay?' tone)

Me: "He picked the pink one because the pink one is a beloved video game character that has been around for two decades. And he sucks bad guys into his mouth, eats them and steals their powers. That's why he wanted to be the pink one."

My son is very typically male in many ways; he loves to be active, play teeball, fight with swords, and play ninja. He also likes to draw, do crafts, cook, and loves reading above all else. He watches Power Rangers and Strawberry Shortcake. We have never discouraged him from doing whatever he wanted to do and have tried to make available a variety of experiences for him to find out what interests him. This winter he will have a ballet class and in the spring, martial arts.

I grew up playing Barbies and My Little Pony, but read like a fiend and liked 'boy' things like science fiction and Legos, and was never interested in fashion (I remember in elementary school some girls called me a nerd because I loved dinosaurs, and dinosaurs are for boys...). Today I don't know what I would do if I had a girl, because I have no clue how to do hair or play tea party and the whole princess culture our society shoves down little girls' throats makes me ill.
                        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Your quizzes have been owled out to you.Sorry for the slight delay-I was persuading the bank why spending £1.92 at the same shop I've used for the last five years isn't a sign of fraud and why they might want to let me have access to my money or at least inform me they've blocked the card

Anyway,I managed to get my friends to give permission to let you see their little darlings.This is Ben the gymnast and Becky(I think-it's been a long time) doing her sulky teen in a baseball cap act
                          Attached Files
                          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

And here's Sam and then Sam and Olly having fun
                            Attached Files

Comment

Received and responded to =)
                              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                              X