This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFx24 - Unable to load a single website

Hey all. I've got a weird one that really has me stumped - let me concatenate a couple posts from another site I've also asked, on a similar thread:

For all it's worth, I'm seeing a similar problem with mspaintadventures.com - like the OP here, the site just times out on me. Worked fine up until about a week ago, and I plead a variant on the innocence mantra: I didn't knowingly change anything, and every other website I normally go to works perfectly.

I can ping the website by URL, but plugging the IP into Firefox (v24) still times out. Flushed cache, cookies, temp files, all that with CCleaner, too, and as far as I can tell my plugins are up to date. Computer's hooked directly to the modem, so there's no router issues.
    Some further notes. I have, thus far:
    - flushed, released, and renewed DNS.
    - /verified/ my plugins are up to date.
    - powercycled my modem.
    - made sure there's nothing in the hostfile for it
    - tried Firefox safe mode.
    - briefly turned off Avast's Webshield.
    - tinkered with Firefox's IPV6 setting.
    - also changed Firefox's DNS prefetch setting.
    - Checked in IE; I also get a 'cannot find server' error there, though this is the first time I've used it in literally years, so it may well be that I have IE6 still floating around.

It still fails, and I am baffled. This silly webcomic is the -only- website I have trouble with.
    Any thoughts -at all-? I seriously do not understand this one.
    Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
    They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

No idea...I'm using FF 24.0 and it loaded fine for me when I checked it to see what would happen.

I'm using ABP and NoScript, and made no changes for it to work, so you can rule those out as being causes unless you've added something you shouldn't have.
    "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
    - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Ping uses ICMP-over-IP while web browsers use TCP-over-IP. It's entirely possible for one to get broken while the other still gets through. FWIW, I can see that site fine.

You could try performing a manual HTTP request. Open a command-line window (Start->Run->cmd.exe or Start->Programs->Accessories->Command). Type carefully:
      Code:
      telnet mspaintadventures.com 80
      ...and press Return once. This should open a connection to the server. If it goes well, you should see a message saying you're connected, and it will then wait for input without a further prompt. Otherwise, you'll see some sort of error message (possibly after a delay) and be returned to the command prompt.

IF you are successfully connected, type the following carefully - this is CASE SENSITIVE:
      Code:
      GET /robots.txt HTTP/1.0
      ...and press Return twice. The server should respond with about a dozen lines of technical-looking stuff, starting with
      Code:
      HTTP/1.1 200 OK
      and then send you back to the command prompt. This essentially proves there's not much wrong with the network between you and them, and that the problem is most likely with your browser settings.

Comment

Also try opening a CMD window and typing: nslookup mspaintadventures.com

It should give you an address of 173.231.155.34.

You can also try surfing to http://173.231.155.34/

Comment

Working...
        X