This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone else's grief

In the toy aisle at Wal-Mart, where we've gone to buy eye drops, there is a little animatronic cat for sale, and you are invited to try it and see its wonders. Press the button, and though jailed in its pink box by plastic ties, it will rear up on its back legs and paw at the air, and mew ever so sweetly. Perhaps it's a toy for a little girl whose parents won't allow a real pet, or perhaps it's the landlords who won't allow the pet... at any rate, it waits for Christmas. It's already November, after all, and the big day will be here before you know it. Someone will surely buy it and surely it will be loved by whoever receives it.

One hopes.

In the toy aisle at Wal-Mart, someone has pressed the button and the toy cat mews and paws... and it becomes a symbol in my mind of things that will never be. Someone has left it turned on and it paws at the air with no child to delight, and it mews for someone who is not there.

The child will never be there. Out in front of the store, two pairs of children's shoes lie stranded on the pavement of Airport Road. The children they belong to were hit so hard by the SUV that they were literally knocked out of them. One died at the hospital of a crushed chest. One will probably live, but I imagine that's cold comfort to the man from whom the children bolted away, out into the road. I imagine it's as cold a comfort to the driver who could not stop when they ran out in front of him. And I imagine it will chill the rest of us who drive that stretch of road and will see -- for months, perhaps for years -- those little, so little, spray-painted rings that mark the spots where the shoes lie in the road.

Inside the store, the cat is still pawing the air and mewing. No child is coming to play. I'm staring. It's a morbid fascination. They pulled away from the man they were walking with. Perhaps he was their older brother, perhaps their father or grandfather; the news hasn't said yet. Whoever he is, his life changed irrevocably on a November night just after the fall of dark, with the stars wheeling past above the passing clouds, when a slight chilly breeze was blowing. He'll remember all of that forever. The tug, the breaking away, the running -- were they laughing? Was it a game?

The screech, the dull thump, the crunch as the tires went over the little one. The screams, then the scream of the sirens. A phalanx of emergency vehicles blocks the road, washing the night and the store and the parking lot with jagged blue and red lights that are much too harsh for children. The children deserve instead the soft pink color of the box, and the soft plush fur of the toy cat, the soft mews that seem to invite one to hug the toy so close that child and toy alike know they are best friends.

I can't help but watch the cat. Why is this bothering me? It's like I'm feeling someone else's grief. I didn't know the children. I only saw their shoes... but still, I think of toys that won't be played with anymore. I think, perhaps, of toys bought and waiting, dreaming on a shelf, for Christmas that will no longer be needed. I wonder if there will be a mother tonight who will scream until she is so hoarse that she can only groan. I think of so many things ended in an instant on the pavement of Airport Road, and so many things that will never be -- no first day of school, no first friend or best friend, no love, no marriage, no children of their own. Nothing. It's over for the one who owned the smaller of the two pairs of shoes.

How can it all be so perfectly captured by a toy on a shelf, turned on and charming no one? I can't bring myself to turn it off. I only watch until I can't stand it anymore and walk away.

The sounds it makes follow me, and it sounds almost as though it is crying.

Edit: The one that they thought might live is, in fact, brain dead and will likely die today.
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 11-07-2013, 11:58 AM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

I do understand what youre saying. Its hard when life, especially young life is stolen before they get a chance to realize the genuine wonders and joy of life. Thank you for sharing your experience, though hard, I know it will help you heal. And though you didn't know them, it can still be your grief too. I'm grieving after reading your story. We can all connect on some cosmic level (I believe anyway) and there is nothing wrong with showing concern, sadness or grief for your fellow humans.

Ask Sturdy Nurse for some pointers on how he deals when bad things happen. I can only tell you I internalize alot of things I shouldn't when something really bothers me. I have learned that talking has helped and time really does heal (or begin to heal) all wounds

<3.

Comment

All I can say is that you have a beautiful heart to feel grief for someone you don't know.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

The details are emerging...

Long story short, the children's mother's boyfriend was taking them to visit her. He was drunk. He wasn't holding their hand, but they were holding each other's hand. They ran into the street and he followed, and all three were hit -- the drunk boyfriend, of course, not being seriously injured, while one child died of a crushed chest and while the other is dying today of bleeding in the brain.

The whole family arrived at the hospital. The mother, the boyfriend, and the father of the children and his girlfriend. The women got into a fight which ended fairly quickly and amicably. The men got into a fight so bad that cops had to pull them apart.

And so that's that. The world ended for a handful of people on a very mundane stretch of a suburban commercial strip, noteworthy only for the gorgeous view of the mountains rising behind the Wal-Mart store. For the rest of us, life goes on, and in time, even the spray-painted rings on the pavement will fade.
        Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

It isn't someone else's grief, though....it's yours. And ours. The children were a part of the human family. Our family is diminished. I hope that the parents, boyfriend, all of them, are able to find peace...and also the person who was driving that car. I can't imagine how horrible it must be, to be the person behind the wheel when something like this happens.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Wow. This made me think of all the subway drivers in the world.
            cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Thank you for sharing, even though it has made me teary at work. Pesky onions somewhere.

The only thing that makes me feel better is that sweet little child is at peace and perhaps will be joined by a sibling where both of the dears will play together forever and not miss each other. Somewhere where there are no cars to be mindful of and lots of fuzzy furry animals to play with.

I hope the driver finds peace. Hitting a child would be one of the worst things to deal with.

My own daughter has darted out before and thank all that is holy that we were in a parking lot and the woman driving the oncoming SUV was paying attention. Scared the bejesus out of her and I though. I grabbed my daughter just as she slammed on the brakes and as I held her, the woman's eyes and mine met and we just stared at each other for a long minute. We both knew how close we'd gotten to an awful tragedy. It was a meeting of two mothers' souls and even though I haven't seen her again, we are still connected.

Sometimes it feels better to donate a toy or two to a children's organization. Maybe buy the meowing kitty and give it to a little girl who will cuddle it and treasure it always.

Comment

Quoth DaisyQueen View Post
                Maybe buy the meowing kitty and give it to a little girl who will cuddle it and treasure it always.
                Better yet, buy it and donate it to the children's ward of the nearby hospital. The children there will appreciate it more, because it will help them get over their injuries/illnesses.
                cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I think I know the animatronic cat in question, and at the swamp it's affectionately referred to as "that fucking thing that needs to shut up already," and we'd love to give it a playdate with the compactor or the forklift.

Strange how a seemingly unrelated event can make us view something differently. I may have to think differently about that toy cat tomorrow.

Also, I think the poster above me has just the coolest idea.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
                    Someone else's grief
                    That was a very beautiful prose piece, a sweet tribute to two innocent children. MoonCat's correct; as part of the human family, we understand love and grief, even if we are not directly affected.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      I think I know the animatronic cat in question, and at the swamp it's affectionately referred to as "that fucking thing that needs to shut up already," and we'd love to give it a playdate with the compactor or the forklift.
                      Geez they must not be cat lovers...

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
                        Geez they must not be cat lovers...
                        Let's just say it gets old listening to that thing go off every time you pass it by while trying to stock toys or put up ad signs.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

If there's a Tree of Joy in your area, why not look for a tag with that kitty listed as some child's wish for a Christmas present? If not, you can always buy one (or as many as you like) for a child in the hospital, in a homeless shelter, etc.

Comment

Working...
                          X