This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong-way interstate

So this evening I was on the interstate during the rush going a good 60mph when I saw headlights, and they were not with the rest of oncoming traffic on the other side of the median. Rather, they were directly ahead, which is exactly not where I like to see headlights on the interstate. Everyone was moving left away from the headlights, so I moved left as well, and lo and behold, there was a car on the shoulder with his flashers on, slowly driving in the WRONG DIRECTION. Just...how?

To go the wrong way up the closest off-ramp would involve going the wrong direction through a traffic circle, as it is specifically designed to avoid such a thing. The next exit about half a mile down would be more plausible for a lost driver to end up the wrong way on. Someway, somehow, this driver failed at something, and he did so spectacularly.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carroll..._bus_collision

Still a sore spot for some in my region.

Comment

On the plus side, he was at least driving slowly and out of the main flow of traffic. That would seem to suggest that he became aware of his situation and retained a sense of self-preservation.

On a tangentially related note, the trains on my line changed from right-hand to left-hand running a couple of weeks ago. The drivers sit in the centre of the cabs (of the newest trains) and the signals were already provided for both cases, so it's not nearly as fraught a change as it would be on the roads. The reason is that they have for several years been building a major extension to my line which will loop around to join the slow half of another main line at the far end, and *that* line already runs on the left. It's easier to just make all the slow lines in the area left-hand running - even though all the fast lines are right-hand running - than to put a flying crossover into the railway.

Comment

Happened in Pittsburgh yesterday. Police won't say why she was going the wrong way. Hell of a wreck though.
        ''Sugar cane and coffee cups, copper, steel, and cattle. An annotated history the forest for the fire. Where we propagate confusion primitive and wild. Welcome to the occupation''

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
          On the plus side, he was at least driving slowly and out of the main flow of traffic. That would seem to suggest that he became aware of his situation and retained a sense of self-preservation.
          Or, possibly, he was starting to wonder why there was no room to merge.
          πϱ -- The Greek Society you've been burning to join!

Comment

A good friend of my mom's was killed by a drunk driver going the wrong way on a freeway.

Comment

Working...
            X